Brexit post July 1

Hall of Famer

Re: Brexit post July 1

09 Jul 2021 11:48 am:

lovejoy wrote:A genuine question - can the brexit supporters explain whether they think it has been a success and by what parameters the success has been measured in relation to the promises made during the vote? I see polls that in excess of 90% of Brexit voters would do so again. I'm genuinely interested.

As per my earlier comments, no. Nobody can make such a statement in the current environment.

RTS2 specifically stated that we are not allowed to mention the vaccine roll-out so we cannot mention that huge success.

Turning your question on it's head, are you bemoaning the loss of freedom of movement due to Brexit?
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 14:00 pm:

No specifically no, it was more of a general question as it seems to me 45-50% of people would still vote Brexit and I'd like to know, based on what we've seen why that would be to broaden my thinking in this area. yes, to be honest the fact I and my children now cannot freely travel, live and work in Europe (once the pandemic is over) is quite a freedom that we've had to give up and I'd be happier knowing that certain sections of the UK were able to benefit as a result.

As I said before with Covid it is difficult to know what impact Brexit has had on GDP compared to the pandemic. Equally Farage, Johnson, Hoey etc were detailing the great upsides we'd get from Brexit, economically and for industries such as farming and fishing whilst agreeing that some sectors (lets say services - 80% of our economy) might miss out but it was a price worth paying. In fact Farage is still videoing dingys in the Kent coastline filled with immigrants so perhaps we havent even achieved the border control we were promised.

From what I can see the fishermen, farmers are now moaning about it (and the tensions now in Ulster) so as a genuine question - who has benefitted?
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 14:02 pm:

Blind antelope
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 14:50 pm:

If the economy takes a dive I now know who to blame, if dinghies keep coming across the channel I now know who to blame, that is what I wanted to achieve with Brexit.

Prior to Brexit our politicians blamed Europe and the Europeans blamed our politicians, that has ended. Once the Covid nonsense is out of the way we can see what happens and vote accordingly, we did not vote for Von Der Liar.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 15:52 pm:

I read the other day that the rejoin vote is now down to 30%. I voted remain, but have since been the 18% who have shifted to the other side.

It is still too early to tell what the upsides or downsides are.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 20:23 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
RTS2 wrote:It will mainly benefit us on import tariffs , but won't affect us on export as the buyer pays all of the associated customs fees and the VAT. Where it would benefit us is if we are allowed to nominate to pay these charges if the Govt. announce a reclaiming procedure; which has been talked about. Personally I can't see that happening.

Nowt to do with Brexit, if you sell something on Amazon inside a country now they stick VAT on it and deduct this from what you get. It is just governments creaming money off everything, whether our government, the French or the Germans.

It is far too early to discuss Brexit, Covid has ruined most things. To use your analogies, it can be argued that Brexit has made the sea either calmer or choppier whilst a huge wave is hitting us.

Am I the only one imagining Mute sneezing on the aeroplane :?

What a bit of a "daft" ;) ( not wishing to insinuate you are stupid before that one is levied at me ) statement CGR ?. Mute sneezing on the plane...is that the best joke you can come up with ?. ;)

VAT on art to Europe has only appeared since January 1 and visa-versa as have tariffs. If you don't think that is a result of Brexit then I respectfully suggest that you do a little bit of research . The result is that the cost of buying from the UK has increased on average in that sector by 32%. That is greatly impacting on that sector as it is with the antiques trade. UK customs are far more relaxed . I should know as I am buying and selling art on a daily basis. I cannot comment about amazon or any other sector.

VAT calculations on art are quite complex in general terms if you are a VAT registered business; but the new regulations effect all businesses irrespective of whether you are VAT registered or not as they create a less competitive environment for UK sellers in that sector.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 20:35 pm:

As for other industries and business sectors I can only comment about construction. There are shortages of many products since Brexit and that is actually more to do with supply chains than tariffs although timber tariffs have risen and thus has the cost of it. The biggest factor has been factory closures due to Covid-19 in various regions of the EU ( including the UK last year with gypsum products, cement and plaster board ) which has forced some builders merchants to source from wider markets such as Turkey. The product quality for some products is significantly lower as a result.

It appears to be a mixed bag with which businesses are being impacted and which are not. As I said before we will begin to get a clearer picture over the next six months.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 20:38 pm:

Silly me, I thought Brexit was about a lot of other things and overlooked your paintings when I cast my vote.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 20:53 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:Silly me, I thought Brexit was about a lot of other things and overlooked your paintings when I cast my vote.

The thread was about people's observations thus far and what effect if any they had noted.

Your agenda appears to lower the tone to sarcasm.
Hall of Famer

09 Jul 2021 23:57 pm:

I always thought that Art and Antiques were a bit of a grey area? Basically someone could buy a Picasso off you, you could ship it abroad and declare that the buyer bought it for £1,000?

I know that I was buying hand made suits from Hong Kong and paying import duty at a lot lower level than it was worth. That's bloody stopped now!
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby