Brexit post July 1

Hall of Famer

Re: Brexit post July 1

10 Jul 2021 12:18 pm:

Have ordered various bits for house and garden renovations - taking months
For stuff To arrive that used to take weeks. Not sure if that is Brexit or COVID though.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

10 Jul 2021 19:16 pm:

tigerchef wrote:I always thought that Art and Antiques were a bit of a grey area? Basically someone could buy a Picasso off you, you could ship it abroad and declare that the buyer bought it for £1,000?

I know that I was buying hand made suits from Hong Kong and paying import duty at a lot lower level than it was worth. That's bloody stopped now!

:D ...the good old days TC.

Not now. You have to produce a certificate and three invoices and also make a declaration on the country of origin. You also attach a tracking link to any sale or auction and photographic evidence of what is being sent that has to match up. You now also have to send a certificate of cultural interest in certain circumstances ; but that is the exception rather than the rule. IF you try a fast one and customs open the packaging ( which they are now apt to do in Italy ) and it doesn't match up to the description; or if they research the piece and discover it sold for a higher price than it did they will confiscate it.

Also some have tried to send paintings as " gifts" . They smell these parcels like rats. It isn't worth the risk. I sent three last week ; two to Germany and one to Spain. All sent correctly with EROI number and correct certification and all have arrived safely.

The biggest issue is when buyers at auction don't read the small print in the auctions terms and when they discover that they have to pay around 30-40% on top of what they have paid for the art then then there is a risk they won't accept the goods. That is when the real problem arises. France and Italy have started to enforce cultural protocols. For example if a work of art is over 70 years old and is professionally attributed or signed then getting the parcel back is a nightmare as it has to get re-appraised by an art expert in Italy before it can be retrieved back to the UK.

It's complex stuff now. before it was a breeze and the risks can be quite high and are uninsurable now too.
Hall of Famer

12 Jul 2021 11:57 am:

Given Brexit is still commonly supported and Gloucester was pro, I am amazed nobody is able to detail why and how they measure it.
Hall of Famer

12 Jul 2021 13:34 pm:

Measure what?
Hall of Famer

13 Jul 2021 05:32 am:

Brexit success.
Hall of Famer

13 Jul 2021 07:40 am:

On a general term it's impossible to know. Remoaners will ignore the impact of Covid on trade and say it's an unmitigated disaster, trade with Europe down etc. Gammons will say that it is an unmitigated success, although ignoring the Rotterdam effect and claim that exports have increased by £20b. Imports are down as well, due to the fact that companies filled their warehouses in 2020.

It is far to early to tell, we should have a better idea, by say 2030?
Hall of Famer

13 Jul 2021 07:48 am:

Lolz
Site Admin

13 Jul 2021 08:24 am:

B&Q is still full of stuff that you can go and buy today.. I had no problem getting things to do up the house.. ok, plaster was a bit thin on the ground a year or so ago, but I only had about 10 feet of wall to do, so I paid over the odds.. bought new garden furniture recently, came within a week, new trampoline, slide, water run, ton bags of play bark etc.. all as normal..

That said, Wickes didn't have the garden gate I ordered in stock when they delivered new fence panels last week, that's coming this morning, but I think that was more a local stock count issue than logistics/import/supply.

Tesco still brings the food (I grow some myself), BP still has diesel, there's always an amazon/hermes/dpd guy at the door.. unless I'm missing out on something, I haven't really noticed a difference.. well, diesel is a bit expensive of late, but I'm only doing about 6000 miles a year instead of the 12-15,000 I was doing before.. I don't really look at the price much anyway, to be honest..

But then I provide consultancy services, IT solutions, digital transformations etc and things largely non-physical.. A relatively downturn-safe industry, where demand rarely dips, prices aren't volatile, and profits have been there for the taking. Being suitably decoupled from the 'real' world as folk call it has helped, I guess.

Appreciate others may not be in the same boat, YMMV etc..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

13 Jul 2021 09:03 am:

Personally I have noticed no real overall differences BUT I think with Covid it is nearly impossible to highlight the pros and cons.

I am VERY pleased UK was outside Europe re. vaccinations where UK had total control over our destiny/timing.

I am very pleased not to have to listen to European blather from Brussels.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Jul 2021 09:51 am:

Pop quiz, which country has done more vaccinations UK or Germany?
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby