Brexit post July 1

Hall of Famer

Brexit post July 1

08 Jul 2021 09:34 am:

What do people think about Brexit 6 months after the event ?

Is the nostalgia wearing off ?.

What is the reality of it all and what impact ( if any ) can people begin now to identify ?

Lets perhaps keep the Covid -19 vaccination subject out of this where possible as this seems to be the coat hanger that Brexiteers are using to hail it as proving to be a big success.

Lets stick to politics and economics where possible please.
Senior squad member

Re: Brexit post July 1

08 Jul 2021 10:19 am:

Interesting question but you have posted in the wrong forum!
David Uren Shrivenham

08 Jul 2021 10:27 am:

Moved.
aka John Neary
Site Admin

08 Jul 2021 13:30 pm:

haven't really noticed any problems, or otherwise to be fair.. all seems to be ticking along ok, all things considered..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 15:27 pm:

Quick summary from myself.

Brexit Grrr, £350m a week Grrr, Boris Grrr, Tories Grrr, Gammon Grrr, Northern Ireland Protocol Grrr, Trade Deals Grrr.

Joking aside, I used to shop around a lot in Europe, but now with the added Tax some good are now more expensive, the same as importing from China. I can’t seem to buy Portuguese Dao either.

On the other hand I have noticed a shortage of certain items in shops, but I am not sure if that is Brexit or Covid.
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 17:20 pm:

It seems to me that most people don't really notice the impact unless they are involved in a business that is exporting to the EU. We are already noticing significant price increases within a couple of my businesses. A lot of building materials are imported from the EU. The customs element is delaying supplies to the UK, and this coupled with import duties is putting the price of some materials up quite drastically. It is a double -whammy impact between scarcity and customs duties that are being passed on down the chain from the suppliers to the end user/customer.

One of my other businesses (where all our sales are exported to the EU) has already been impacted post July 1 with customers there having to pay 20% VAT on all paintings that we export as well as customs fees which in Italy and Hungary are extremely high. That is bound to affect sales.

We have just sent a painting to Spain and the buyer is complaining that the combined costs apart from the shipping (which was 160 euros ) total 560 euros on a painting they have bought from me via auction for 1400 euros. They are very happy with the art but were not aware of the import duties although the auction house we use in the Netherlands has it plastered all over their website!.

They won't buy from the UK again. I am small fry compared to many people in the antiques and art business/trade. I was talking to a very well-respected art dealer last week whose based in the Midlands, and he reckons his sales to the EU have dropped by 75% since January 1.
Last edited by RTS2 on 08 Jul 2021 17:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 17:25 pm:

I buy quite lot of art from France and from the buying perspective I can't use the customs add -on's to negotiate the price as there is a huge demand for classical art still in the EU. The UK has been the centre of European art sales for the last 50 years or more. That is changing. I'm getting away with passing the additional costs to date by inflating the shipping costs on the re-sale back into the EU. So far I have got away with it but I don't expect that to last much longer.

I guess if people can afford to buy they will , but it is definitely having an impact in that sector. Invoices are checked thoroughly by customs and in most EU countries they are even charging VAT on the shipping costs into the EU , because they have twigged onto some people making a profit on that aspect of their business.

The ironic thing is that I would like to buy a lot more art from the USA. What I am not getting is why the Govt. have not done a deal with the US on customs charges. It would stimulate a lot more trade between the UK and the USA.I thought Brexit was partly about striking attractive tariff deals with other countries; but it appears this may only benefit certain sectors of the economy.

I think it will be several more months before things become more apparent to many people in the UK who are not in businesses that are impacted. having said that many people are affected directly or indirectly. I am friendly with someone who owns a large fruit farm, and he is having trouble in getting labour.
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 17:33 pm:

Whilst the settlement scheme is to be welcomed, most Eastern Europeans who are here do not want to do seasonal agriculture- based work anymore that many UK citizens. I am sure that there will be a significant impact also on British passport holders who wish to do seasonal work in the EU.

There are discrepancies galore between the ONS and Eurostat data and with the impact of covid-19 in the mix, it is very difficult to establish and accuracy of fact in terms of how Brexit is impacting the balance of trade or the economy.

Perhaps another 6 months will give a better indication of how things are beginning to work out . With everything that has happened the picture is clouded.
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 17:49 pm:

Admin this thread is running on two forums...the championship one and non-rugby. Just add more confusion to me posting it early this am on the Gloucester Rugby forum :lol:
Hall of Famer

08 Jul 2021 19:03 pm:

Can't you just keep the Art in a Freeport?
Next

Return to Not Rugby