Exeter - headress

Exeter - headress

12 Oct 2021 17:27 pm:

We've had 1 thread about this, which had to be locked, let's have another go. I've posted this for information purposes only especially as Exe visit Wasps on Sat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58883202

Wasps have asked rugby union bosses to decide on the acceptability of Exeter fans wearing Native American-style headdresses with the Chiefs set to visit in the Premiership on Saturday.

Responding to an open letter written by one of their own fans' groups, the Coventry club have not imposed any ban.

But they are discouraging Chiefs fans from wearing headdresses "because they have the potential to cause offence".
On the board

Re: Exeter - headress

12 Oct 2021 17:42 pm:

Our more subtle approach is better. Charge them £40 to stand in the shed that'll put them off coming!
Dude

12 Oct 2021 17:56 pm:

You’re brave Nick! :o :o

I’m not going to comment on the issue per se as I think we all know who are the pinko lefty wokes (me!) and who are the balanced sensible inhabitants of Mars........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m just a bit disappointed in Wasps tbh. I feel they’re passing the buck. They’ve had communication from a section of their supporters, and have also released a fairly strong statement about racism and cultural appropriation, so I think they should be brave enough to make a decision one way or another themselves. I’m really not sure what sort of positive direction they’ll get from either the RFU or PRL, but sadly I suspect that’s the whole point.
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 18:06 pm:

I’m not sure I agree. The RFU and PRL should try to get a consensus on this emotive issue. IMO that would be better than clubs having their own positions
Cherchez la truffe
Vice-Captain

12 Oct 2021 18:08 pm:

Best placate the communities of Iroquis and Shawnee living in Cov.
Ridiculous beyond words
Dude

12 Oct 2021 18:09 pm:

Colin I agree 100% if they give a clear and positive steer. I’m just not optimistic that’s going to happen.
Hero in the making

12 Oct 2021 18:10 pm:

What on earth next ffs
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 18:22 pm:

I think it’s excessive and sad. More destructive thinking. Just what we need after the last 18 months. :cry:
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Senior squad member

12 Oct 2021 18:35 pm:

When they came to the A.J.Bell earlier this season, there was not a headdress or plastic tomahawk to be seen. In previous years, there have been several on view. I wonder whether their supporters may be a bit more circumspect about the issue generally this year, given the recent controversy that has surfaced again? Especially when visiting other grounds.

Its certainly been very toxic on their SN forum in discussions about the subject
Hall of Famer

12 Oct 2021 18:42 pm:

Lebowski wrote:You’re brave Nick! :o :o

I’m not going to comment on the issue per se as I think we all know who are the pinko lefty wokes (me!) and who are the balanced sensible inhabitants of Mars........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m just a bit disappointed in Wasps tbh. I feel they’re passing the buck. They’ve had communication from a section of their supporters, and have also released a fairly strong statement about racism and cultural appropriation, so I think they should be brave enough to make a decision one way or another themselves. I’m really not sure what sort of positive direction they’ll get from either the RFU or PRL, but sadly I suspect that’s the whole point.

Bang on Leb, it has the square root of FA of what the RFU, PRL, clubs and supporters think about it.

Its only about what Native Americans think of the crass misappropriation of their culture for commercial gain has been.

And, they have been perfectly clear, time and time again.

Some many others know far better though...........
Next

Return to Not Rugby