Exeter - headress

Dude

Re: Exeter - headress

13 Oct 2021 08:01 am:

That’s so constructive and relevant. What you expect from a moderator.

13 Oct 2021 08:22 am:

FYI….I didn’t ask to be a moderator it was thrust upon me….my post was not to cause offence but add levity, as a parody, to a thread that has already been done to death and will inevitably end up with the same old same old factions slogging it out.

If you want to take umbrage carry on, I’ve got broad shoulders and thick skin. My view as ‘a moderator ‘ if you are interested in anyone else’s views is that this is an extension of the previous thread and should go the same way

As a matter of interest, I’ve contacted LB on this matter and the reaction is similar to that of Wasps and would guess that’s the line from most of the clubs.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 08:54 am:

Problem is KPB that your attempt at humour sounds exactly like the kind of thing someone would say as a serious argument.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 08:54 am:

Just because an action MAY cause offense in other people doesn't mean that it is necessarily wrong. My motto is always live and let live. If people want to wear headwear to a rugby match then fill your boots, it's not for me but I wouldn't dream of stopping others doing it.
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 09:17 am:

Jackal wrote:Also worth noting I find it particularly insulting when Wasps or Leicester play the Wurzels when Gloucester have scored against them at away games in the past. So maybe they need to look internally too...

Thus identifying a group of individuals with the image of scruffy, unintelligible, cider-swilling, agricultural workers. Has anyone asked how the Wurzels might feel about this?
www.fumblings.net

13 Oct 2021 09:27 am:

I agree with the comment made about what the Native North American Indians think about their imaginary being used - they don't like it and have said so. The next question is, should any Club or organisation respect their view ?

However, Exe didn't brand themselves and invest in the brand to offend anyone. The wider conversation could include Saracens, Warriors, Pirates etc etc. Do sharks & Lions have an opinion on this I wonder.

Yes, Leb, brave or naïve, not sure which on posting this subject. But I'm ready, willing and able to delete, lock, move this thread as appropriate.
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 09:31 am:

I think it's heading down the same road as the previous thread - people have their views on this, and another 50 posts will change nothing. Now that Wasps have made their statement, I think we might be best to leave it to the RFU and PRL - if they duck the issue then no doubt it will trundle on , and on!
Cherchez la truffe
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 09:44 am:

Lewi7 wrote:I agree with the comment made about what the Native North American Indians think about their imaginary being used - they don't like it and have said so. The next question is, should any Club or organisation respect their view ?

However, Exe didn't brand themselves and invest in the brand to offend anyone. The wider conversation could include Saracens, Warriors, Pirates etc etc. Do sharks & Lions have an opinion on this I wonder.

Yes, Leb, brave or naïve, not sure which on posting this subject. But I'm ready, willing and able to delete, lock, move this thread as appropriate.

It's probably one to move to the non rugby section.

The point about Saracens etc gets made every time but misses the point that there aren't any about today, Native Americans are still very much alive.

With regards to the pirates moniker at least Cornwall has a history of piracy so they are be perfectly entitled to use the name.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 09:58 am:

I fear this will degenerate into another steaming pile of horse S*** as the last thread on the topic did.

Personally I don’t get the whataboutary that is spouted out in defence of this. Eeorr chants FFS it’s child like.

I don’t see anyone on here as morally outraged by this, in the main folks are just being supportive of a group of peoples right to say this insults their cultural heritage some of which actually live here in Devon.

We accept Gollies on jam jars are racist, inappropriate and a thing of the past, here are some of the inane comments from 2001 when they were banned, sound familiar?

“I don't understand why some of you are so worked up with this nostalgia”

“If it was white on the jam jars they would of been saying it's racist cos there is no black ones so you put black ones on there and they get removed cos it's racist.YOU CANT WIN”

“You have invented an argument then kicked off against it. Try dealing with real issues not invented ones.”
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 12:07 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
robs1 wrote:I trust all the morally outraged Glos fans will now start a campaign to stop the eeyore chants when a player drops the ball and the "you dont know you're doing" at the ref, after they are directed personally at someone.

I would have thought there are far bigger issues to get worked up about currently.

I think you've missed the point there. Eeyoring somebody isn't anything to do with the issues raised here.

Of course it has, I'm sure the players mum is really offended by her son being insulted, especially by those who have never played rugby at a professional level, and I expect professional regs are offended by a fan questioning their ability. As far as I can see the Exeter fans wearing headresses arent doing it to be offensive or dismissive of american indian people, unlike some of our fans who are setting out to be exactly that.

The problem is it's a long way down from a high horse or pedestal, and many cant see the double standards they are portraying.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby