Exeter and headdresses

Hall of Famer

Re: Exeter and headdresses

18 Oct 2021 19:21 pm:

The programme did not change my view one iota.
On the board

18 Oct 2021 19:36 pm:

To be honest the Words Chief or Chiefs are not spoken by native Americans so the name of the club I don't see as offensive or cultural appropriation but the logo, head dresses and chant can be seen as both if it was replaced by an Anglo Saxon, celtic or other chief I can't see a problem. Seeing as our country culturally includes many cultures but native Americans are not a major percentage even though we have people in this country who do come from that background

18 Oct 2021 20:48 pm:

This thread was to inform about the BT Sports Rugby programme on the tellybox. Just to remind that there is an off topic thread if folk want to inform, deny or casually chat about the rights, wrongs and morals of the situation.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

19 Oct 2021 04:14 am:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:This thread was to inform about the BT Sports Rugby programme on the tellybox. Just to remind that there is an off topic thread if folk want to inform, deny or casually chat about the rights, wrongs and morals of the situation.

Well best get in quick before it gets locked! :D
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
On the board

19 Oct 2021 04:24 am:

Maybe keep this thread as the ongoing Cultural Appropriation one. But move it to Not Rugby and don’t lock it?

19 Oct 2021 07:13 am:

Moved.
aka John Neary
On the board

20 Oct 2021 20:04 pm:

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/202 ... -warriors/

This open letter from the Scottish Rugby Blog lays out the arguments against the ‘tomahawk chant’ and the wearing of Native American headdresses very sensibly and articulately. There’s now a real and growing groundswell of opinion against the Exeter branding - thankfully.
First team regular

20 Oct 2021 22:26 pm:

I've changed my mind on this based on the Rugby Tonight interviews. Obvioiusly I always knew that some American Indians were offended by the Chiefs' branding. But being offended doesn't mean you're in the right. Any team that wants to call themselves the Chiefs must think chiefs are pretty cool.

The clincher for me is that the headdress is a military honour, much like the badges our veterans would wear on poppy day. Imagine if a team was started in China called the Wuhan Victoria Crosses, and they all wore a VC badge on their jersey, and their fans sang some British military anthem during the games. It could quickly start to feel patronising, especially if we were a relatively powerless minority community.

So while I don't believe Exeter have anything to be ashamed of, I'd be in favour of some discreet rebranding on their part. It's all a sideshow, anyway, and a distraction from the fact that they've been an awesome rugby club for the last 15 years or so.
On the board

20 Oct 2021 22:45 pm:

Richy

Are you saying that if a team formed calling themselves the Shanghai Shed-Heads you'd get the raving hump due to some weird woke cult concept of "cultural appropriation"?
Hall of Famer

21 Oct 2021 12:08 pm:

Bod wrote:Richy

Are you saying that if a team formed calling themselves the Shanghai Shed-Heads you'd get the raving hump due to some weird woke cult concept of "cultural appropriation"?

One of these things is not like the other.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby