The Jockey/Kingsholm Inn

Re: The Jockey/Kingsholm Inn

01 Aug 2019 10:40 am:

I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

01 Aug 2019 11:17 am:

KPB, perhaps no coincidence as according to the Salisbury / Wessex branches of CAMRA that the Queen's Arms in Salisbury is also closed without any indication of opening.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
On the board

01 Aug 2019 11:59 am:

Asgard wrote:I suppose Mute is safe from libel action if anything he says is actually true, but on the other hand if it is seen as scurrilous I just hope for his sake that his house is in somebody else's name.

I should imagine that a response will be forthcoming
Hall of Famer

01 Aug 2019 19:35 pm:

GlawsyD wrote:KPB, perhaps no coincidence as according to the Salisbury / Wessex branches of CAMRA that the Queen's Arms in Salisbury is also closed without any indication of opening.

A good pub to pop into whilst waiting for Club Rouge to open... :?
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

02 Aug 2019 11:57 am:

There's an old adage " buyer beware" and never more true than in this case.

Enterprise Inns or EI who own the place are in the throws of being bought out by Stonegate (they own the Abbey in Hare Lane) so future uncertain. I have heard that Stonegate intend turning all the EI leases into managed house over time. Can't see the Jockey as managed house material, so then what?

Leases with the likes of EI are notorious as they don't look too bad on paper, but by the time they've got you paying through the nose for beer and everything else on top of a hefty rent, it's very difficult to make a living.

Licencees not being able to keep up with payments and ultimately either being evicted or just walking away is quite common. I seem to recall the Jockey closed briefly before, probably under similar circumstances. I'm not convinced of the viability of this pub, as a lease anyway. As a freehold, would be an entirely different matter. Lets be honest, it does fantastic trade on match days, but my guess is that it's not busy the rest of the time.

As a free house it would probably thrive, just look at what Wye Valley have done with the Peli. It was open and closed and clearly struggling for donkeys years. Just got to persuade them to sell it.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Hall of Famer

02 Aug 2019 16:28 pm:

A knowledgeable post covglaws.

Support your local free houses.
Hero in the making
Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...

02 Aug 2019 17:01 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
Number8 wrote:
spaman wrote:This looks interesting, a possible new pub.

http://glcstrplnng12.co.uk/online-appli ... ab=summary

Reg Daldry (jnr) is the brains behind this. He is good guy who played for a few local clubs so hopefully it be a great addition to the locality.

Reg Daldry Jnr + brains aren't words you often see together in a sentence !! RD was the "brains" who finally ran Tredworth RFC into the ground and their ultimate closure - though he did try to keep them afloat as a drinking venue. Last I saw of him 5 years ago was on Facebook burning an ex-TRFC's players boots and calling them a "traitor".

IMHO the man shouldn't be allowed anywhere near alcohol !!

Richard’s at it again, tsk!

02 Aug 2019 23:39 pm:

Spot on comments. I can think of two good Free houses that have been sold to chains and the turnover has crumbed.
I almost never spend my cash in anything other than a free house. They are almost universaly the best pubs and need our support. Support Free houses and small breweries whenever you can.
Vice-Captain

02 Aug 2019 23:46 pm:

If EI sell the property it will be that it cannot be a pub coz that affects their business model. If someone is stupid enough to take it on and make it viable your rent will go up as a percentage of your metered cellar
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

03 Aug 2019 07:37 am:

The Moog wrote:If EI sell the property it will be that it cannot be a pub coz that affects their business model. If someone is stupid enough to take it on and make it viable your rent will go up as a percentage of your metered cellar

Oh it can. They frequently sell them as pubs. My favourite Coventry pub was a struggling EI leased pub, the incumbents bought it from EI, now it's thriving.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby