COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

23 Feb 2021 09:08 am:

Agreed Vic, I think it's ridiculous that shops cannot open sometime in March (for example).

That said, I welcome the rough outline of dates - it will allow me to plan some things for my business around June / July - even if those dates could change as Die Trying pointed out.

BJ's measures AND language were praised by Keir Starmer in the commons today - of course it's not good enough for the 3 amigos :lol: . It's these kind of attitudes that make me despair about politics. Tribalism at it's worse.

And no - I'm not a BJ supporter and won't vote for him (that's their standard response.)
Last edited by steckers on 23 Feb 2021 09:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

23 Feb 2021 09:26 am:

The Vic wrote:Mark Harper should be held as an absolute hero. No reason whatsoever for going so slowly other than listening to the daft hysterical wailing. All the data looks very very positive. Those wanting longer lockdowns are quite simply clueless about the damage being done and are selfish

No chance. Harper just jumped on a bandwagon. CRG went for dates not Science.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 09:40 am:

Yes, we are going with the data but are not prepared to say what the data has to say.

23 Feb 2021 09:45 am:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:Yes, we are going with the data but are not prepared to say what the data has to say.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 10:04 am:

As Chris Whitty said, we will gradually relax the rules one step at a time and we will then be able to see what happens using the data. If we open up everything too quickly and cases spike again then we wont know which of the elements has caused it. I personally am very keen for children to go back to school and if that means people have to wait a few more weeks before piling in to Weatherpoons at 9 am then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Following the Harper route at this stage significantly increases the risk of another spike and I bet he'd be the first in the queue moaning about it.

As an aside, there really is something endemic on this forum with puerile name calling that some posters default to when their views are challenged which doesn't reflect particularly well on them, in my opinion. I see similar traits in the tabloid media and Trump.
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 10:51 am:

Weatherspoons at 9am - wow. I'd like to get into a pub as much as the next person but 9am? (and not a weatherspoons!!)

I certainly think your comments re Trump are appropriate - the legacy of that administration looms large on politics.

If the name calling remark is aimed at me - then it was certainly meant to be jovial not puerile.
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 11:03 am:

DieTrying wrote:
Castle Grim Reaper wrote:Yes, we are going with the data but are not prepared to say what the data has to say.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021

1. The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully.

2. Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and
deaths in those vaccinated.

3. Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put
unsustainable pressure on the NHS.

4. Our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of
Concern.

But these are all analogue terms, what is meant by 'successfully', 'sufficiently', 'risk a surge' and 'fundamentally changed'.
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 11:36 am:

Well I for one am very pleased with the very positive news happening in the UK - lower cases and more vaccinations - plus things to look forward to IF progress continues. What's not to like after a most wretched and tragic year for us all ?? Definite light at the end of the tunnel and rough dates to aim for.

Unsure how anyone can be moaning one way or the other ?? Greater detail will now be released.

The PM and Govt ?? Damned by those who can only see a political angle rather than the human side.

This is good news for us ALL.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 23 Feb 2021 18:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 16:16 pm:

Lower vaccinations numbers for the last 2 days. Hope things aren't slowing down.
Hall of Famer

23 Feb 2021 16:36 pm:

steckers wrote:Lower vaccinations numbers for the last 2 days. Hope things aren't slowing down.

Anticipated and planned for supply reductions apparently according to Matt Hancock in an interview. Numbers are expected to rise considerably in March. As somebody in group 9, I hope they do.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support