COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

25 Nov 2021 09:22 am:

tigerchef wrote:Thanks everyone for your best wishes for my boy. Seems that being quarantined in your room with an X box , meals delivered etc isn't that bad! He doesn't seem to have any symptoms today, so fingers crossed.

Good to hear he's doing well TC.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 09:28 am:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -mutations

A balanced report but perhaps one to keep a close eye on.

Given the UK's abolition of the red list I wonder whether this policy needs reviewing and fast reaction times to impose additions are required with the above type of development ?.

The difficulty will always be in establishing which countries to add to the list given the uncertainty of how fast wide such variants have spread. I do think that a fast reaction based on the likely facts is a good thing, and if nothing else it does give a lot of people some degree of reassurance. There is also the question of pragmatism.

What do others think ?....do nothing or act ?
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 09:38 am:

I can't for the life of me see why masks aren't mandatory in busy indoor public places.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 09:53 am:

lovejoy wrote:I can't for the life of me see why masks aren't mandatory in busy indoor public places.

I think this is down to individual choice now . I agree in some environments but people have to use their discretion now. If you have a bad cough etc. then it is down to you to think responsibly. Sadly many don't. I do see a lot of people still wearing masks in more crowded places. Having just travelled to three different countries over an 8 day period seeing anyone without a mask was actually the exception . At Heathrow they are strict.

The airlines are struggling though because some smart Alec's make a drink last for the duration of a flight and they are finding it almost impossible to impose continuous face mask wearing when on board and this is where it is probably most needed. BA were strict having said this; as were the other two airlines I had the pleasure of flying with. They continually walked up and down the plane reminding people to wear their masks.

There will always be the odd selfish idiot. No manner of legislation or rule-making will negate this.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 10:15 am:

The trouble with leaving things to individual choice is that there will always be those who 'choose' to take the selfish option. As we've seen several times in this pandemic, advising people to do things doesn't cut the mustard with these people, you need the weight of the law behind the policies to make them fully effective - hence the increase in vaccinations/mask wearing etc seen in countries when life is made difficult for those who insist on their 'freedom' to infect others. I'm not advocating going the 'full Austria' where, due to continual high rates of infection and deaths, vaccination has now been made compulsory - and a couple of weeks ago they were proposing that anyone getting Covid who hasn't bothered to get jabbed will have to pay for any hospital treatment they receive (anyone know if they followed this one through?) but somewhere between where we are now and that option would seem to be the only way of getting on top of the disease.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 10:41 am:

I agree to a large extent with what you are saying Lucifer, but to keep ahead of the conspiracists and anti--vax lunatics the Govt. need to allow some degree of choice. I am all in freedom of choice for those who for their own personal reasons do not want to have the vaccine but for those who are actively looking to protest I really don't get their issue. So; they don't want the vaccine and no one is forcing them to have it.

As for personal choice, I think that most people exercise this with a degree of information and therefore the choices on hygiene and mask wearing are for most if us now a way of life.

I (like most people) exercise choice and use my instincts. Survival is a remarkable motivation for sharpening them. Thinking of others is not a bad approach to life ; but if we only think of our own survival we are indirectly also ( by default and without realising it ? ) thinking of others.

The truth is there are those who have no respect for others and have little for themselves.

The face mask issue has been almost exhausted. My own observations tell me that most people still wear them in indoor public environments. If asked why; I suspect most would reluctantly say they feel safer; even though we all know that wearing a mask is in effect designed to protect others. As long as the virus continues to mutate ( which is could ad infinitum) then I think most people will approach these situations with some degree of caution. If that motivation is "misdirected self-preservation" then so be it.

For me hand hygiene is central to my own sense of "self-preservation". When you do get into social environments the risks are everywhere. Again I think most people use their instincts. If they wear a mask and neglect their hand hygiene they are really missing the point.

The key element of transmission has arguably been children who are marvelously efficient hosts for the virus to spread. These little'uns are/were deemed to be exempt for practical reasons etc. from wearing masks in public places; particularly when it was mandatory in shops etc. In many instances this occurred where " responsible" face mask wearing parents entered shops with an entourage of little'uns in tow who were not wearing masks !. :) . It is an endless merry-go-round ......
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 13:17 pm:

My first hand experience of 45 minute train commute is that around half of people are now wearing masks. The train is busy but not packed. I think if you are within 2 metres of someone for more than 15 minutes that’s meets the definition of busy. I don’t see why the selfish should have the choice to, potentially, infect others. If you want the freedom to do this then fine but not on public transport - surely?
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 14:01 pm:

lucifer wrote:The trouble with leaving things to individual choice is that there will always be those who 'choose' to take the selfish option. As we've seen several times in this pandemic, advising people to do things doesn't cut the mustard with these people, you need the weight of the law behind the policies to make them fully effective - hence the increase in vaccinations/mask wearing etc seen in countries when life is made difficult for those who insist on their 'freedom' to infect others. I'm not advocating going the 'full Austria' where, due to continual high rates of infection and deaths, vaccination has now been made compulsory - and a couple of weeks ago they were proposing that anyone getting Covid who hasn't bothered to get jabbed will have to pay for any hospital treatment they receive (anyone know if they followed this one through?) but somewhere between where we are now and that option would seem to be the only way of getting on top of the disease.

Frightening stuff. I guess choice is ok whilst people agree with you - but not when they see it differently.

As it happens the UK vaccination rate is very good unlike much of Europe (and elsewhere). So maybe the British public aren't as bas you think.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 15:49 pm:

Hi Steckers where do you get your data from.

I am looking at ourworldindata.com and they are reporting 68% of UK is fully vaxxed and in the EU 67% as at 24 November.
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2021 16:25 pm:

I believe that data is a % of the total population and will include young children etc. I haven't looked at EU as a whole (not sure it's relevant). But some countries in the EU have lower rates.

According to the covid dashboard we have 88% of over 12s having 1 dose, and 80% have had 2.

Our problem is the slow roll-out of vaccines in school and I don't see it improving in the near future. Considering thats where most of the transmission is, it would seem an obvious priority.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support