COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

steckers 21 May 2020 12:23 pm said..

To be fair, they haven't said that lockdown easing was reliant on track and tracing being in place. They do explain the rational at EVERY briefing - it drives me crazy watching the same old powerpoint everyday. I'm not defending or advocating the rationale but they have been very open about it for some time.

I also think it's important to note that it wasn't the govt pushing for lockdown easing. The media pushed for it relentlessly. At every briefing in April they were peppered consistently with questions about when the lockdown would end. Of course, after they got some insight - they changed gears with their criticism. I also think many of the general public have been pushing for it too.

When it comes to the track and tracing - my instinct says this is a logistical nightmare to organise. I also have doubts it will work.

Testing targets are a red herring - completely meaningless and it was stupid to ever quantify it. What is important, is how many people AREN'T getting testing who needs it. But of course we don't get a stat for that!!!
steckers
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 21 May 2020 15:06 pm said..

With respect Steckers, your instincts arent something I would wish to stake my health on. Track and trace was the reason given for the success of South Korea containing the virus.

Also it is the government who are ultimately responsible for whether to relax the rules and I think its fairly clear the science doesn't currently support this (Dame Angela McLean as an example). Yes there will be economic pressures to relax the rules, not least from policitcal donors with their business interests. Im just not convinced we are ready for this relaxation in the UK yet.

Also dont get me started on "good old British common sense" google Southend beach if you want to know what this looks like. I am very concerned we will have a second wave and the R will exceed 1 as we have relaxed too early.
lovejoy
On the board

steckers 21 May 2020 15:28 pm said..

That hurts - my instincts are usually pretty good! Seriously though, if you read my post again - I just said this must be a huge thing to get organised. Much harder than a country like South Korea who were hit previously and started getting things in place.

I have no idea if the science supports it - from what I've learned, some scientists seem to support and some not so much. They don't always all sing from the same hymnsheet.

I'm not sure how to interpret the beach pics - there are a lot of people - but if they are all distanced, then I don't see a big problem. But we will soon see I guess.

If the R rate goes over 1 - then BJ has said they will revert back some measures. Personally, I think that is the correct approach.

I wasn't expressing an opinion about whether we should have 'eased' the lockdown yet. Just saying that they have been very clear on the rationale to explain it. If it would help, I will try to find the powerpoint slide they refer to (I think it has 5 key elements: the r number, a consistent decline of new infections etc etc)
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 23 May 2020 18:06 pm said..

Looks like there are a different set of lockdown rules for advisors to the government. Absolutely staggering.
JamesK
Hero in the making

lucifer 23 May 2020 18:37 pm said..

Where is everybody who called for Ferguson to resign?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 23 May 2020 19:14 pm said..

Felt sorry for Grant Schapps trying to wriggle out of the questions today!
steckers
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 23 May 2020 19:26 pm said..

steckers wrote:Felt sorry for Grant Schapps trying to wriggle out of the questions today!

Don't feel sorry for him. Each and everyone of the Ministers who tweeted support for Cummings today took what little political credibilty they have and pissed it up the wall for a man who gives absolutely no bleep.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 23 May 2020 19:32 pm said..

Cummings is an odious individual for whom I have no sympathy or respect.
Grant Schapps wriggled as best he could, but this will not go away.
Cummings has absolutely no emotional intelligence and has no credibility after this.
TheOptimistSenior
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 24 May 2020 09:09 am said..

Is this Covid-19 news OR politics and a chance to get rid of DC ??

Not defending him - more highlighting the fact that many (including the Guardian) are simply using this awful viral crisis effecting lives in the UK and across the globe purely as a political platform. Warped...…..

Ditto Nicola Sturgeon/SNP. :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2125  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

JamesK 24 May 2020 09:53 am said..

It’s obviously Covid 19 news. The official response to this brings into question the public’s understanding of the lockdown rules. The government need to swiftly clarify what the rules are. Many people will have fallen ill and have thought they had to isolate at home. It wouldn’t have occurred to them that they had the option to travel a few hundred miles.

Criticizing the Guardian for uncovering this apparent hypocrisy is just daft. Do you blame the Daily Mail for the Saracen’s salary cap scandal? Were you critical of the paper that reported on Prof Ferguson’s rule breaking?

There is nothing warped about discussion on this and it is a great opportunity for the government to clearly state what behavior is acceptable at this time.
Last edited by JamesK on 24 May 2020 09:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesK
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support