COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 06 Jun 2020 11:14 am said..

Ciren35 wrote:
Genuine question - do you think there is any credence in the Richard Dearlove claim that this all started via a laboratory “accident” in China ???

Interesting theory :o

I don't think there is much factual evidence to it and I think some people are trying to use it as a distraction where the pandemic has been managed poorly.
JamesK
On the board

lucifer 06 Jun 2020 12:05 pm said..

'The science' seemed to discount it, but Trump supports it - I know which I give greater credibility too!
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 12:15 pm said..

Covid-19 experts - What are your thoughts and what would be your advice on the BLM mass-gatherings taking place around the globe whilst social-distancing is meant to be in place ??

Non-aggressive question BTW. I am stupefied seeing '000's of mainly youngsters packed together in confined areas, mainly shouting and exhaling and spreading germs. IF the police/authorities do anything to stop these increasingly rabid gatherings they'll be damned BUT IF they do nothing and turn a blind-eye and second-waves occur they'll be damned.

What to do (experts) - without hindsight ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

lucifer 06 Jun 2020 12:58 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Covid-19 experts - What are your thoughts and what would be your advice on the BLM mass-gatherings taking place around the globe whilst social-distancing is meant to be in place ??

Non-aggressive question BTW. I am stupefied seeing '000's of mainly youngsters packed together in confined areas, mainly shouting and exhaling and spreading germs. IF the police/authorities do anything to stop these increasingly rabid gatherings they'll be damned BUT IF they do nothing and turn a blind-eye and second-waves occur they'll be damned.

What to do (experts) - without hindsight ??

Well, I'm no 'expert' GM, but will have a stab at answering. As you say social distancing is MEANT to be in place. However as DC and his apologists have been pointing out they are only guidelines not laws so it is now apparently up to each person to interpret this as their conscience demands. Ergo, they aren't breaking any laws, the government should be advising against it (as Hancock has) and stressing those who feel strongly enough to attend should try to maintain social distancing as much as possible. All the police should be doing is keeping a low profile and be ready to step in if rioting or looting occur - which I would think unlikely. If all that happens the police will have done their duty, if any demonstrators are infected they will only have themselves to blame, but will have made their points to the world.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 06 Jun 2020 13:39 pm said..

And if they pick up Covid-19 whilst not social-distancing and it then falls-back on the NHS service ?? Or spread it exponentially to many innocent others and/or family members and so cause a second-wave.

Or will that simply now be DC's fault in the UK - even entirely across the globe ?!?!

I am amazed at the seemingly total blind-eye being shown by Govts globally towards these BLM-demonstrations causing second-waves of infection. It appears that George Floyd's murder being mourned + US police racism being condemned permits risking many further lives being lost via a pandemic being wittingly spread.

Glad I'm not a scientist, politician or police-chief...……. :roll: :roll: :roll: ............…or Know-all !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

The Vic 06 Jun 2020 14:16 pm said..

JamesK wrote:Some peer-reviewed modelling that wasn't done by Prof Ferguson's group.

Of course the points about lack of data and need for assumptions/guesses about various parameters still apply but interesting to follow the process.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanp ... 68-2667(20)30133-X/fulltext

Do you have a link that works? I quite enjoy looking at the data organisations use when modelling
The Vic
Hall of Famer

JamesK 06 Jun 2020 14:28 pm said..

Sorry Vic - something strange happens when I paste the link into Shedweb.

You should see the article if you Google:

Effects of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 cases, deaths, and demand for hospital services in the UK: a modelling study
JamesK
On the board

lovejoy 06 Jun 2020 14:38 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:And if they pick up Covid-19 whilst not social-distancing and it then falls-back on the NHS service ?? Or spread it exponentially to many innocent others and/or family members and so cause a second-wave.

Or will that simply now be DC's fault in the UK - even entirely across the globe ?!?!

I am amazed at the seemingly total blind-eye being shown by Govts globally towards these BLM-demonstrations causing second-waves of infection. It appears that George Floyd's murder being mourned + US police racism being condemned permits risking many further lives being lost via a pandemic being wittingly spread.

Glad I'm not a scientist, politician or police-chief...……. :roll: :roll: :roll: ............…or Know-all !! ;)

I agree with you, it is a big concern that mass gatherings are taking place just when our stats are wobbling. I defend anyone's right to protest, its at the heart of democracy, but I'm not convinced the middle of a pandemic is the time or the place. In particular since the catalyst for it occurred in the US and not here. This is another "Cheltenham". We must hope it rains.
lovejoy
On the board

Ciren35 06 Jun 2020 14:42 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Covid-19 experts - What are your thoughts and what would be your advice on the BLM mass-gatherings taking place around the globe whilst social-distancing is meant to be in place ??

I’ll have a stab at how this might unfold...(From a UK perspective)

- when daylight starts to fade, the “protesters” will probably then start smashing things up and looting - obviously this will be the government’s fault as all they are doing is expressing their frustration at being kept in lockdown for 10+ weeks

- Social distancing requirements will go out the window, and there will probably be a new outbreak of C-19 cases - obviously this will be the government’s fault as they should have given much clearer instructions that they were not allowed to protest in such close proximity

- Arrested protesters who are subsequently taken to court, will claim that they are unable to pay any fines due to their current unemployment status - obviously this will be the government’s fault as their jobs were ultimately cut due to an extension of the lock-down conditions that was caused by a sudden rise in C-19 cases.

MSM (Rigby, Morgan, Kuenssberg, etc) and the usual LW sycophants will then use the daily government briefing as a platform to criticise them for allowing the protests to go ahead...

This is just a hunch, but I think I’ve got more chance with this prediction than guessing the final table position for Glos this season... ;)
Ciren35
Vice-Captain

lucifer 06 Jun 2020 15:20 pm said..

I think you're being a tad harsh on the government, Ciren, (though understandable)! Lets hope your somewhat apocalyptic forecasts fail to manifest themselves.
lucifer
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support