COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

14 Jan 2021 10:42 am:

A lot is mentioned on this thread about pulling together and how easy it is to sit on the sidelines criticising with the benefit of hindsight.

But as a current, live issue, can a poster who feels the government have generally been competent in dealing with this pandemic explain to me why, given we are aware of a new variant in Brazil (which may not be susceptible to the vaccine) , the flights from Brazil are not stopped and travellers from all countries be required to show they aren't carrying the virus. Genuine question.

On the no show point , if you have an appointment but don't show, you should get fined.
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 11:42 am:

I think that the Govt/authorities have done as good a job as possible bearing in mind scientific/viral changes and expected human/population aberration. The negatives have been Track and Tracing + School-related decisions on exams (not helped by gobby Unions).

I believe travel restrictions are currently being looked at.

Would you be fining pre-booked people who then have to self-isolate. There has to be a balance between carrot/stick and working with the general population. I am sure you have all the answers Lovejoy.........and will no doubt tell us all ad nauseam.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 14 Jan 2021 14:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 11:57 am:

Always a sarcastic comment to leave us with, never change Mute. I just post my views and have never claimed to "have all the answers".

We have had 9 months to restrict people bringing the virus in to the country and we are "looking at it". What has happened time and again is late decision making leading to increased cases. Over and over. And we wonder why our case rate is so high compared to others. Too many people such as yourself show sequacious following of the incompetent leaders, to the cost of us all.

Regarding missed tests, if you can't make it you cancel and you have a back up list of people willing to fill empty slots. I'd put my name down. Why waste the slot if the vaccines and people to administer them are there? In truth we don't have the either.
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 13:37 pm:

I apologise for supporting our country's democratically elected Govt and therefore "condoning" it's actions !! I guess I'm a team player and the Conservative Party, despite not being at all perfect, are my team. I completely accept valid and reasoned criticism of them just not the non-stop repetitive undermining and carping from those who are so blinkered they can never applaud the other side. IF Bath score a good try against GRFC I will applaud and acknowledge it. My guess is that many myopic and embittered types on SW never would. Praise when praise is due ie; the vaccine roll-out to date.

This pandemic is not a politically-induced happening !!

I concur re. having a back-up list for testing drop-outs BUT would be hard to manage if covering very last-minute drop-outs. Just not supportive of your blanket fining for missed appointments.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 14:01 pm:

If Bath scored a good try I would acknowledge but not applaud :D
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 16:37 pm:

:lol:

Lovejoy and Mute.... you both make me smile. :) .

Good news....faster reaction and Govt now banned all travel to UK from Portugal ( except hauliers with essential supplies ) Brazil and much of South America too. At last some faster decisive action. They are learning ? ;) :)
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 17:13 pm:

On my break on the afternoon shift. Absolutely smashing them through! Looks like a vast majority are turning up, missed appointments are very low. About 1-2%. I shall try and give you some numbers later on.
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 17:21 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:I apologise for supporting our country's democratically elected Govt and therefore "condoning" it's actions !! I guess I'm a team player and the Conservative Party, despite not being at all perfect, are my team. I completely accept valid and reasoned criticism of them just not the non-stop repetitive undermining and carping from those who are so blinkered they can never applaud the other side. IF Bath score a good try against GRFC I will applaud and acknowledge it. My guess is that many myopic and embittered types on SW never would. Praise when praise is due ie; the vaccine roll-out to date.

This pandemic is not a politically-induced happening !!

I concur re. having a back-up list for testing drop-outs BUT would be hard to manage if covering very last-minute drop-outs. Just not supportive of your blanket fining for missed appointments.

This is basically my point, you are by your own admission, a Tory fan boy unable to see the obvious inadequacies. Me, I call it as I see it regardless of rosette colour.
On the board

14 Jan 2021 18:57 pm:

Bath??

That's enough of that bad language around here.
If it's wet, drink it.
Hall of Famer

14 Jan 2021 19:26 pm:

In my view, the government have had a horrible task to deal with. Some of it they have muddled through (protective equipment at the start). Some of it they have cocked up (air arrivals, track and trace). Some of it they have done well (vaccine roll out, setting up nightingale hospitals). I don’t think this should be politicised. In hindsight I think a coalition approach may have been better to stop the bleating or braying.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support