COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

07 Apr 2021 20:25 pm:

Indeed. Also if it is only 6-9 months we won’t get everyone vaccinated (twice) before the very old are up for their second shot. It would be perpetual.
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 20:30 pm:

I note that the MHRA are no longer recommending the AZ vaccine for the under 30s. Does this mean in pausing the vaccine use out of caution like France Germany etc, they are also just playing politics and are sore because of Brexit?
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 07:07 am:

Morning guys,

Well those of you who enjoy a pint or two at the pub can dress up in winter attire and merrily sit on the pub garden bench from today . The forecast is cold and perhaps the meteorological intervention might be a good thing ? . ;)

Limited changes come into effect from today but perhaps the most significant for the economy is the opening of retail stores on the high street. Lets hope people act responsibly and that shop staff are not met with abuse from the "morons" who still are in denial about the risks from Covid-19.

So; OAZ looking to be taken off the agenda for under 30's. Will no doubt raise a few concerns for the older people ahead of their second OAZ jabs despite the reassurances from OAZ etc. that the vaccine is safe. It does perhaps raise the debate about second generation vaccination programmes. Getting to the core of why there appears to be the risk has to be crucial; although coincidence may still prove to be the answer with the potential of pre-existing clots remaining a possible clue. The on the balance risks have to be emphasised and indeed have been ; but there will be a lot of discussion to be had around this going forward.

The Autumn will be here before we know it; and the Govt. will be keen to address the above issue before the next generation of jabs is administered.

Interesting that Germany looks likely to be buying Sputnik. The Russians are developing next generation vaccinations that require a single jab . Germany doing what is does best ?. Looking after number one ;) . The Sputnik vaccination has not been approved by EU regulators ( just yet) but is looking likely to be approved shortly. How this spins politically is very interesting.
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:06 am:

So what do people think about the Chile experience?. High levels of vaccination in that country, but the Brazilian variant is sweeping through the country now in a significant third wave. It will be interesting to see the data emerging on the death rate. Perhaps that is the most critical data other than long-covid ; which will take some time to collate.

It's a stark reminder that this isn't going away anytime soon. Also it reinforces the need for strict international measures. I hope we don't see a return to this until next year at the earliest despite the pressures on the Govt. to ease travel restrictions.

As I said before the traffic light system is (IMO) a farce.

We are seemingly getting on top of Covid - 19 in the UK at last. The lockdown has been a major factor backed-up with the vaccination programme and as importantly the travel restrictions which even the Govt now admit should have been in place much sooner !.

It is imperative that we don't just accept a third wave as being inevitable. It must be avoided whatever the sacrifices needed.
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:07 am:

RTS2 wrote:Lets hope people act responsibly and that shop staff are not met with abuse from the "morons" who still are in denial about the risks from Covid-19.

RTS2 you never cease to amaze, when you look at the current figures for Covid-19 there is quite a latitude for deciding who the 'morons' are.

RTS2 wrote:So; OAZ looking to be taken off the agenda for under 30's. Will no doubt raise a few concerns for the older people ahead of their second OAZ jabs despite the reassurances from OAZ etc. that the vaccine is safe. It does perhaps raise the debate about second generation vaccination programmes. Getting to the core of why there appears to be the risk has to be crucial; although coincidence may still prove to be the answer with the potential of pre-existing clots remaining a possible clue. The on the balance risks have to be emphasised and indeed have been ; but there will be a lot of discussion to be had around this going forward.

Personally I think this is likely to be a non-issue but surely with the level of risk Boris ought to be suggesting caution. A lot of 'morons' were suggesting caution with this some time ago.

RTS2 wrote:Interesting that Germany looks likely to be buying Sputnik. The Russians are developing next generation vaccinations that require a single jab . Germany doing what is does best ?. Looking after number one ;) . The Sputnik vaccination has not been approved by EU regulators just yet but is looking likely to be approved shortly. How this spins politically is very interesting.

Maybe the Germans are just morons :?
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:09 am:

RTS2 wrote:So what do people think about the Chile experience?. High levels of vaccination in that country, but the Brazilian variant is sweeping through the country now in a significant third wave. It will be interesting to see the data emerging on the death rate. Perhaps that is the most critical data other than long-covid ; which will take some time to collate.

It's a stark reminder that this isn't going away anytime soon. Also it reinforces the need for strict international measures. I hope we don't see a return to this until next year at the earliest despite the pressures on the Govt. to ease travel restrictions.

Chile apparently used cheap Chinese vaccines and this is allegedly thought to be the issue.
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:14 am:

CGR; the numbers are so much lower due to the lockdown and travel restrictions.

We all acknowledge the fantastic procurement programme for vaccinations which has run alongside the two major strategies above. The point remains though ...had these been in place MUCH earlier and had lockdown not been relaxed before Christmas then arguably the death rate would have been much lower in the UK.

I am sure the Govt. have learned from their mistakes.

We are finally getting on top of this BUT we must NOT relax and become complacent.

The morons are already pushing , shoving and scrambling to buy their new trainers... ;)
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:16 am:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
RTS2 wrote:So what do people think about the Chile experience?. High levels of vaccination in that country, but the Brazilian variant is sweeping through the country now in a significant third wave. It will be interesting to see the data emerging on the death rate. Perhaps that is the most critical data other than long-covid ; which will take some time to collate.

Chile apparently used cheap Chinese vaccines and this is allegedly thought to be the issue.

Cheap ?. OAZ is cheap by comparison to most vaccines. Are you saying the Chinese vaccines are ineffective ?. Evidence-just asking ;)
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 09:24 am:

RTS2 wrote:Cheap ?. OAZ is cheap by comparison to most vaccines. Are you saying the Chinese vaccines are ineffective ?. Evidence-just asking ;)

No evidence whatsoever from me, hence the use of 'allegedly', I only know what I read and hear.

RTS2 wrote:CGR; the numbers are so much lower due to the lockdown and travel restrictions.

We all acknowledge the fantastic procurement programme for vaccinations which has run alongside the two major strategies above.

So we have a vaccine program that runs alongside two major strategies, do you honestly think the improvement in the UK is down to lockdown and travel restrictions, presumably you are still travelling internationally as you have clearly spent too much time in the sun :o
Hall of Famer

12 Apr 2021 12:26 pm:

"Are you saying the Chinese vaccines are ineffective ?. Evidence-just asking" CGR
I'm sure I read something in the last couple of days - but can't find it! - that said the efficacy of the Chinese vaccine was less than the rest.
My understanding also is that lockdown is primarily responsible for the improvement in figures here, though vaccines are undoubtedly helping reduce the number of deaths. The improvement certainly slowed down a lot when schools went back and there are still areas with much higher rates of infection than the rest of the country - predominantly where there is overcrowding in housing and a high proportion of factory/warehouse/low wage employment where people infected are loathe to take time off work. If there is another upsurge after the latest relaxations it will be these areas that will lead it.
Let's hope there isn't one.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support