COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

24 Jan 2021 10:01 am:

Lovejoy - no, not falling into any traps. I wonder if you are by prescribing the decision to govt. The strategy has come from PHE.

You are correct about the numbers - yesterday they did 478,000 first jabs and 1,800 2nd jabs.

To me, it makes no difference when they do the 2nd jab - they have to be done so ultimately its only a small short-term gain by delaying. I am very confident there is lots of research being done and followed closely - if they need to change approach, they will.

Interestingly, the initial response from the States about not following the planned 3 week gap was outrage. They themselves are now implementing a 6 week gap. These things are ever changing.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 10:47 am:

Isn't the current medical advice 6 weeks here now? Trouble is there isn't evidence either way, they only tested it at 3 weeks. It's a risk - but then so is not vaccinating all those who would be postponed by doing the 2nd earlier. Also I did read somewhere that 10-12 weeks could well be the 'sweet spot' for vaccine effectiveness though nothing of late.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 11:04 am:

Either way, they need to find a way where they can start giving the second doses whilst still giving out more first doses. A logistical headache.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 13:33 pm:

It saddens me to read that there actually are South African variants of the virus in the UK (I suggested earlier that when we were told it wasn’t here, it would be fortunate and unlikely). It also seems it comes from people travelling in.
I know I often criticise the government for their response to this pandemic, but even the most sparse thing blue rosette supporters must surely agree that the government response has been woefully inadequate bordering on the incompetent on not shutting borders earlier.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 14:22 pm:

Steckers' I really wish you'd read some of my posters with more attention to what I actually post.

Your "Look" call also highly condescending. ;)

So; since my suggestion that the Govt. will review the time - lag strategy between jabs and that they will half the time delay to 6 weeks ( which I really do think they will sooner than later ) I refer back to my two-part posting.

This also answers the question ( IF you can be bothered to read it again ? ) ) that you have raised today.

The logical way to deal with this will be to double the rate of manufacture. Hence my suggestion of at least one more production facility being established as a matter of priority. It doesn't take Einstein to work that one out !!. :roll:

A wartime situation requires war time measure and warrants whatever amount of Gov't. intervention and spending to achieve this.

I am anticipation that you will no doubt twist this to some kind of anti-Gov't. statement ?. Just in case you process that type of response I am saying in advance ...IT IS NOT.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 14:36 pm:

Saddening to see the amount of irresponsible even organisers and attendee's this week.

The media are perhaps drawing the wrong kind of attention albeit unintentionally.

The Gov't must really now toughen -up on this kind of activity. I would issue fast-track sentencing, and lock up offenders under special measures prior to bail and make the offence of organising these events criminal with a two year prison sentence for convicted organisers, and higher fines for attendee's with the same methodology including automatic arrest and then suspended prison sentences. These people should have criminal records alongside higher fines.

The problem is weak Government clamp-down policies and historically confusing messages and actual legislation. We need much tougher measures until the R rate is at least below 0.5 and even then measures equivalent to what we have now should be imposed.

As for international travel to the UK; I say ban all international flights to and from the UK unless under certain circumstances, which should be discussed NOT just the Govt's ministers but also by Parliament . They are trying to do a balancing act atm with this, which IMO is a massive compromise.

There are still thousands flying into the UK from around the World and evidence would suggest that social distancing is NOT being adhered to. Farce.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 15:32 pm:

No nothing about that comes across as anti-govt.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in my post - but nothing was meant to be condescending.

Your posts often read (to me at least) like you have read some report somewhere and have assumed the govt (or key decision makers) are unaware of these new-found themes. All I am saying is - anything you have read - they will already be aware of and exploring (if necessary). Maybe the fault is just the way I'm reading it.

Re the doubling of production. I think this goes without saying - of course they are ramping up production. But this takes a lot of time and is not as simple as "throwing some more money at it".

I'm sure you recognise that incredibly fast rate in which they are ramping things up.

Listening to the radio today - the initial hurdle to delivering more doses is not vaccine supply. It's having people trained to deliver it.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 19:58 pm:

Prime Ministers Twitter account is claiming 10% of the adult population have been vaccinated. This is a lie. Exactly the sort of thing that undermines public trust in the government messaging (it’ll all be over by Xmas, we’ve met our testing target Etc).
Say uk has 70 m people and estimates 20% are under 16 so 56m adults. We have given 500,000 second jabs required to vaccinate people. This is under 1%.
What annoys me most is that they think we are too stupid/gullible to check.

24 Jan 2021 20:11 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Prime Ministers Twitter account is claiming 10% of the adult population have been vaccinated. This is a lie. Exactly the sort of thing that undermines public trust in the government messaging (it’ll all be over by Xmas, we’ve met our testing target Etc).
Say uk has 70 m people and estimates 20% are under 16 so 56m adults. We have given 500,000 second jabs required to vaccinate people. This is under 1%.
What annoys me most is that they think we are too stupid/gullible to check.

Up to and including 23Jan, it's 6,353,322 1st dose and 469,660 2nd doses. The first dose does give protection, so the statement is correct. The second dose is a booster, similar to when we were kids,
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 20:27 pm:

You’re not vaccinated until you’ve had the second dose.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support