COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

03 Sep 2021 08:18 am:

I read somewhere the government are trying to lever Dacre into OFCOM which I find almost too ridiculous for words. The government keep pushing the boundaries for acceptable behaviour and whilst 43% still support them this will continue.

Regarding cronyism Shedwebadmin, I have a degree of sympathy with throwing some money around using short cut processes in an absolute emergency IF that money had gone to established companies providing such services (even at inflated prices) but a lot went to donors companies, often NewCos. That is indefensible (IMO). You also have to ask yourself why we were so desperate for basic equipment and why we have fewer ITU beds per capita than most of our peers. Years of cut backs is a likely possible answer.
Site Admin

03 Sep 2021 10:35 am:

It's also plausibly what's called 'using your network'..? The same thing you or I might do if we want a friend to give us a foot in the door for a new job, or to get mates rates on something.. it's a different scale, but it's mostly in the name of getting the job done, I imagine.. (undoubtedly not all, I accept)

Also, donors are no mugs, this is why many donate, so that opportunity befalls them, as if by magic.. Firms infiltrate the machinery of state and latch on to the teats of the cash cow all the time (it accounts for over half my employer's £3bn+ turnover in the UK)..

On some level I'm sure we all recognise that the political classes couldn't possibly function without getting into bed with the devil, and there is probably benefit from that early hand-off to industry to stand a chance of getting things done, largely due to the incompetence, procrastination, self-preservation/promotion seen in many politicians / senior civil service..

And in terms of mismanagement of the NHS.. they should strip a few layers back and stop measuring everything.. might free up a few quid for beds.. the NHS is not poorly funded, it is just a leviathan, trying to do too much, that needs to be rationalised, hardened and improved. My mother was a manager of a local health centre in her last years of working. She used to lament that there were 17 layers of management above her, just in Gloucestershire NHS Trust or whatever they were called.. bin off the suits! (I am a suit, technically)
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...

07 Sep 2021 10:36 am:

+1, excellent post.
On the board

07 Sep 2021 22:05 pm:

These Covid Vacine passports.
The ones that were promised not to be introduced ever.
What's the time limit on them?
Anyone know?

07 Sep 2021 23:00 pm:

Bod wrote:These Covid Vacine passports.
The ones that were promised not to be introduced ever.
What's the time limit on them?
Anyone know?

If you have the NHS App, not the NHS Covid App, there's a QR code on there all the time. You can also print it off. BTW: It was never promised not to be introduced and tbf In France Macron said no passport - no entry to bars, venues etc etc. Funnily enough vaccination numbers in France went through the roof. Meanwhile, here, our rates are slowing down and yet we still manage to have cases, deaths and hospitalisations higher than any similarly populated Country. Odd that.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2021 08:41 am:

Dietrying - genuine question - what do you mean? That having the passport helps to manage cases i.e. other countries with the passport have lower case numbers than ours despite our vaccination levels? (It's a good point).

08 Sep 2021 08:58 am:

Other Countries have insisted that you must have your vaccine passport in order to go to a bar, restaurant, venue etc. France and Italy spring to mind, as similarly populated countries. Here we haven't, well until maybe October, and whilst our vaccination percentage rates might have been way ahead of the others, to start with, they've all caught up. Our case rates, death rates and hospitalisation rates are well above everybody else and I suggest that's because we've been too sloppy on the use of the vaccine passports and people seem to believe it's all over and they can go back to normal. Imho, Johnson has been far to slow at every turn, during this Pandemic, costing lives.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2021 11:23 am:

TBF every country has had it's ups and downs over Covid.

No-one has actually got the better of an unknown disease.

And yet the same people moan on-line and look for individual scapegoats of our leaders (who are doing their very best).
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2021 13:44 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:TBF every country has had it's ups and downs over Covid.

No-one has actually got the better of an unknown disease.

And yet the same people moan on-line and look for individual scapegoats of our leaders (who are doing their very best).

this is the nub of the issue, even if you think they are doing their best, clearly their best is nowhere near good enough. Countries with vacuous populist PMs (Trump US, Brazil etc) have fared the worse. yes nobody has "beaten" covid, that is almost impossible, you must be able to see the evidence about which countries have fared better and worse and which camp the Uk is in.

DieTrying is right, people think the whole thing is over and are acting accordingly as the government has relaxed all the rules, as a consequence our stats are much higher than our peers - was it 250 deaths yesterday? Given the money we have thrown at this, to have the only tangible success being we vaxxed some people perhaps a month quicker than others is very thin gruel.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support