COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

08 Sep 2021 14:26 pm:

No it wasn't 250 it was 209. This figure still includes people who die having tested positive for it in the last twenty eight days, not those who die of it.

Opening up society means that far more people can have traces of Covid, die of something else and will be recorded as Covid deaths.

It is not possible to act appropriately as a government if you insist on using misleading figures. Do lockdowns work. do facemasks work? There is no way to tell from the junk figures we work to.
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2021 20:47 pm:

Agreed CGR. We are fully open unlike almost every other nation. The only way we are going to get through this thing is with increased herd immunity which will require a combination of vaccination and antibodies from infection. Obviously the latter is more achievable now we have a high degree of vaccination providing some good protection against severe disease.

So now we have to let things unfold and maybe things will be a little dicey for a while yet. Obviously we don't know the true death data for the reasons that CGR has outline.

In terms of governments and their actions. Well, the public will have a chance to vote them out in a few years. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But all the moaning about every little thing is meaningless until then.
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2021 23:03 pm:

So you’re suggestion the government is beyond criticism? I’m not sure I agree we should live in a country with a system like that. In fact I think the opposite, a healthy democracy needs a functioning opposition and one which has a voice.
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 00:51 am:

lovejoy wrote:So you’re suggestion the government is beyond criticism? I’m not sure I agree we should live in a country with a system like that. In fact I think the opposite, a healthy democracy needs a functioning opposition and one which has a voice.

Which Starmer and his mates certainly don't provide.

Why is that Lovejoy ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 06:57 am:

Beyond critcism? Of course not. But we live in a world where political criticism doesn't have the impact it once did.

I spent the last 4 years criticising Trump on a daily basis. Watching anti-trump news, media etc. Now.... I miss it. I realise criticising him was something I enjoyed, it was part of my life. I was on 'the other team'. I wonder if the same is true for a few on here.
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 07:58 am:

I’d love to have some boring, middle of the road government quietly going about their business in a competent was, I don’t care what colour rosette they wear.
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 08:03 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
lovejoy wrote:So you’re suggestion the government is beyond criticism? I’m not sure I agree we should live in a country with a system like that. In fact I think the opposite, a healthy democracy needs a functioning opposition and one which has a voice.

Which Starmer and his mates certainly don't provide.

Why is that Lovejoy ??

It’s a good question, I don’t understand why they aren’t out there shouting from the roof tops as every incompetent government action occurs on a daily basis. Perhaps keeping their powder dry until nearer the election as they can’t really do much in opposition??

They also have an identity issue really where a lot of their current support comes from metropolitan areas, young forward thinking culturally diverse cities where people are on average better educated. They’ve lost the traditional working class lower educated areas to the populist nationionalistic flag shaggers. Not sure how you can balance both.
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 08:25 am:

You're surely not suggesting that thicker people vote Conservative are you, Lovejoy? Mind you ...... :lol:
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 10:25 am:

It's not my opinion, its from research by Yougov here.

Education and age are the primary factors in how you voted at the most recent general election (and in fact brexit follows a similar pattern). Which probably explains why the government keep to simple slogans (even if they are lies) and why the incisive legal brain of Starmer struggles to get him message across unlike the clowning after dinner speaker Johnson. Example "send back boats of migrants" - its not legal under international law and in practice wont really happen but as long as the right wing media can parrot this headline it plays to the base voters. It also explains why the government have funded social care for the old, through taxes on the young. Protect your base.
Site Admin

09 Sep 2021 10:50 am:

lovejoy wrote:It also explains why the government have funded social care for the old, through taxes on the young. Protect your base.

That's not exclusive to this government though, is it? The younger taxpayer / pension payer has been funding the elders in society for a long old time..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support