COVID- 19

Hall of Famer
Posts: 2335

Re: COVID- 19

13 Oct 2021 18:30 pm:

I didn't see it on the news yesterday though about scientists in London have made a breakthrough on the link to Covid and dementia. Seems they have located the common gene thingamajig and they are hopefull of developing a test that would identify who is at risk of dementia and subsequent a drug that could help 20% of those who would suffer in their later lives.

Now that is good news.
On the board
Posts: 933

Re: COVID- 19

13 Oct 2021 21:38 pm:

lovejoy wrote:42,000 cases today vs 5,000 in France. This isn’t anything to do with my politics. Our stats speak for themselves.


Cases eh?

What were the respective number of tests to deliver these "positives" The stats as they stand say absolutely nothing. What factor of known false positives are included?
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 7810
Location: Longlevens

Re: COVID- 19

13 Oct 2021 22:18 pm:

Due to differing methods of allocating a death, purely due to Covid or with covid as a contributing factor, across many countries, the only figure that will matter is the Excess deaths one, as it's the only one consistently monitored in the same way in most " First World ?" countries. Stats can be misleading / skewed. Examples

We sit 8th in total deaths, but 4th in total cases.
We sit 21st in cases er 1M but, most above are small countries and sit 25th in Deaths per 1M.
We sit 3rd in Total tests but 11th in total tests per 1M.
We sit 4th in total recovered.
I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of it, as countries will falsely report the figures because: 1: They like to cover up their failures. 2: Their reporting structures are just not in place for this or anything else. 3: A lack of facilities / ability to pay for treatments or vaccines. Everybody harps on about " big data" helping, but it only helps those with the ability to gather and use it:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The last big Pandemic was called Spanish Flu and yet the first recorded case was in the US and no link to Spain has ever been proved. The name given to it, depended on where in the world it was reported:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1942

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 14:14 pm:

tigerchef wrote:
lovejoy wrote:42,000 cases today vs 5,000 in France. This isn’t anything to do with my politics. Our stats speak for themselves.


Could be something to do with the fact that 4% of the 12.7m children under the age of 16 had Covid last week?British children aged 16-7 have a rate at about 7%. France offered vaccines to their 12-16 year olds back in June. During the subsequent period the UK donated over 9m vaccines to the developing world, France donated about 1.4m.

The French vaccinated those who don't really need to be vaccinated, the UK stuck some in the arms of a healthcare worker in Chad.


4% of 12.7 million UK children had covid last week? That's 508,000. Give your head another wobble.
Site Admin
Posts: 1494

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 16:53 pm:

EE16CE44-3B86-4434-BF94-23C1E19FB3DA.png


When it comes to secondary school age children, he’s right.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1942

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 17:19 pm:

Ok lets play out this charade, if there are 508,000 cases last week in school children alone, why ere we showing c 40,000/day that's 250,000 or so on the week?

Additionally assuming the % is correct (the absolute number is clearly demonstrably wrong) it makes it even more baffling why these school children haven't been offered a vaccine yet.
Site Admin
Posts: 1494

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 17:40 pm:

Only 2.75M of the 11.7M in education are secondary school age.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_England
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2335

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 18:14 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Ok lets play out this charade, if there are 508,000 cases last week in school children alone, why ere we showing c 40,000/day that's 250,000 or so on the week?

Additionally assuming the % is correct (the absolute number is clearly demonstrably wrong) it makes it even more baffling why these school children haven't been offered a vaccine yet.


Because and I repeat whilst we were umming and ahhing about giving the under 18s the Vaccine, other countries gave it to their children and have a lower rate now. Under 18s have a very low chance of being affected by Covid although they can infect others. Whilst this was going in, we donated 9m doses to the developing world. The French decided to give inoculations to those who don't really need it and didn't give it to a healthcare worker in Somalia who do.
Hero in the making
Posts: 747

Re: COVID- 19

14 Oct 2021 20:03 pm:

Bod wrote:Cases eh?

What were the respective number of tests to deliver these "positives" The stats as they stand say absolutely nothing. What factor of known false positives are included?


Bod, I'm not sure what you are asking. I disagree that the stats say nothing. I think they say a lot.
The sensitivity (i.e. false positive rate) for RT-PCR tests has been show in studies to be between 85 -98%. In the Lighthouse lab., the rate was thought to be 95%.
Therefore, using the Lighthouse lab. sensitivity rate, for every 100 positive cases, 5 may be false positives. The 42,000 cases lovejoy quoted might include 2,000 or so who did not have covid 19.
These figures were taken from a reply to a FOI request to the ONS, last reviewed in August 2021.
Does that answer your query?
There have been some highly questionable claims in this thread and the thread on masks. I did ask for references to support some of the claims, but only tigerchef responded, with a very good link to an article about mask wearing (many thanks, tigerchef and very interesting, although it was published in Jan 2021 and there may be more up to date information available). When people state a "fact/statistic" about a subject e.g. mask wearing, it would be very useful to know what evidence they use to support their claim
DavidSillince, aka the obtuse senator
On the board
Posts: 933

Re: COVID- 19

15 Oct 2021 09:40 am:

DieTrying wrote:Due to differing methods of allocating a death, purely due to Covid or with covid as a contributing factor, across many countries, the only figure that will matter is the Excess deaths one, as it's the only one consistently monitored in the same way in most " First World ?" countries. Stats can be misleading / skewed. Examples

We sit 8th in total deaths, but 4th in total cases.
We sit 21st in cases er 1M but, most above are small countries and sit 25th in Deaths per 1M.
We sit 3rd in Total tests but 11th in total tests per 1M.
We sit 4th in total recovered.
I doubt we'll ever get to the bottom of it, as countries will falsely report the figures because: 1: They like to cover up their failures. 2: Their reporting structures are just not in place for this or anything else. 3: A lack of facilities / ability to pay for treatments or vaccines. Everybody harps on about " big data" helping, but it only helps those with the ability to gather and use it:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The last big Pandemic was called Spanish Flu and yet the first recorded case was in the US and no link to Spain has ever been proved. The name given to it, depended on where in the world it was reported:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu


Incorrect
Honk Kong Flu 1968/70
NEVER referenced by the authorities
I wonder why?
Mainly because the strategy then was to shield the vulnerable - keep ill people out of hospitals and enagae NHS across the communities directly
No school closures
No lock down
No furlough
No WFH
The country didn't miss a beat


https://www.britannica.com/event/1968-flu-pandemic
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support