COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

05 Mar 2021 10:24 am:

I suspect 'supposedly related to the Kent strain' and 'the Kent strain' are two different things.

As to the caution idea, there are degrees, I have seen no peer reviewed written evidence of a genuine risk from specific strains and until we do I would suggest we lock-down in case a meteor hits earth.

We have the fastest vaccination program and the slowest lifting of restrictions, why are the rest of the world so gung-ho and stupid :?
Hall of Famer

05 Mar 2021 10:33 am:

My first thought upon reading the news was very much similar to CGR's - in that they perhaps they don't think the variant is that concerning otherwise they would be doing surge testing. Clearly the news media will latch onto anything like this and make it sound frightening.
Hall of Famer

05 Mar 2021 15:10 pm:

I don't know where the idea that each new strain has been weaker comes from. The wave we're just recovering from was the worse yet it seems to me. However it is true that viruses mutate towards a form that ensures their survival and that means not killing the host.
Hall of Famer

05 Mar 2021 16:37 pm:

Mystery 6th person with the Brazilian variant now found.
Hall of Famer

06 Mar 2021 09:37 am:

Hancock on the press conference saying how great it is that our multi billion pound track and trace let someone from a high risk country move around for weeks and have only just been contacted. They have followed isolation rules “as far as we know”. He was actually congratulating himself for this. It’s rank incompetence. Where is Dido Harding?
Hall of Famer

06 Mar 2021 11:37 am:

lovejoy wrote:Hancock on the press conference saying how great it is that our multi billion pound track and trace let someone from a high risk country move around for weeks and have only just been contacted. They have followed isolation rules “as far as we know”. He was actually congratulating himself for this. It’s rank incompetence. Where is Dido Harding?

The track and Trace has been a total farce . Even now with billions spent on the scheme, it still doesn't seem to function . 22 Billion was reportedly allocated to it, and over £4 Billion spent on it in England. That is still a significant amount for the paltry 66 % efficiency produced. I am sceptical of that figure actually.

How is it that £ 22 billion can be allocated to a second-rate track and trace system, and yet seemingly only a fraction of that can be allocated to paying nurses a decent salary rise ? ( i.e to the people who have had to try and save the lives of those the system has ( arguably in some cases) failed . Who is/has benefited/ benefiting from the track and trace budget ?. It needs examining closely IMO.
Hall of Famer

06 Mar 2021 19:04 pm:

Interesting stats about the lateral flow test that has a false positive rate of 1 in a 1000. At the moment with PCR testing, for every 1000 tests undertaken, the result is 1 positive. We are now in the position that when School testing takes place from next week, there is an equal chance that when the child tests positive, they will or will not have Covid!

Absolutely pointless exercise now IMHO. Stop School testing and save some money.
Hall of Famer

07 Mar 2021 20:34 pm:

The data over the last few weeks has looked very good. With nearly a million tests done on the 4th & 5th March respectively. Much of these will be from lateral flow tests.

As you say Tigerchef from a data perspective the next few days will be very interesting.

Focus has shifted it seems to hospitalisations, which is has seen a significant drop with admissions below 700 in comparison to last week where it was just below 900. Total number of patients about to be below 9000 as well.
Hall of Famer

07 Mar 2021 20:37 pm:

Yeah really positive. Big spike in vaccinations coming in 2nd half of the month also.

Cases will inevitably go up in the next few weeks as they start to detect asymptomatic cases amongst secondary school pupils. Hopefully people will recognise that and not overreact.
Hall of Famer

07 Mar 2021 20:42 pm:

The thing is Steckers the Lateral Flow Tests is that the amount of false positives, which is why it will be interesting. If 1-3 tests out of 1000 provide a false positive with 10million school children going back you could potentially have a huge number of false positives
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support