COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

09 Sep 2021 11:01 am:

shedwebadmin wrote:
lovejoy wrote:It also explains why the government have funded social care for the old, through taxes on the young. Protect your base.

That's not exclusive to this government though, is it? The younger taxpayer / pension payer has been funding the elders in society for a long old time..

And the current younger taxpayers, when they get old, will be funded by the youngsters in their future.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 12:39 pm:

I'm not convinced it has ever been as polarised as this with the balance of wealth so weighted towards the elderly.
Senior squad member

09 Sep 2021 12:58 pm:

What is your issue with the elderly?
Hall of Famer

09 Sep 2021 16:07 pm:

Pilgrims Master wrote:What is your issue with the elderly?

Not the elderly per se just an inequitous tax from which they take the benefits and not the costs. It's not their fault, its the government's pork barrel politics. There's a degree of Brexit resentment too if I'm honest.
Hall of Famer

16 Sep 2021 15:43 pm:

cases down to 28k from 37k (almost 30%) compared to last week. There has been a downward trend, any coherent reason why - schools have gone back so id have expected to opposite.
Hall of Famer

16 Sep 2021 18:18 pm:

lovejoy wrote:cases down to 28k from 37k (almost 30%) compared to last week. There has been a downward trend, any coherent reason why - schools have gone back so id have expected to opposite.

Vaccines work and the take up in the UK has been very high. Add that to those infected and the antibody levels are estimated by the ONS to be 9 in 10 adults. The virus is finding it difficult to infect people, who are also much less likely to pass it on.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hall of Famer

16 Sep 2021 20:53 pm:

But that was true last week too.

Partly the stats are skewed as Scotland posted 0 cases today so I’m sceptical the numbers are right. Still down but not by 30%.
Hall of Famer

16 Sep 2021 22:06 pm:

lovejoy wrote:cases down to 28k from 37k (almost 30%) compared to last week. There has been a downward trend, any coherent reason why - schools have gone back so id have expected to opposite.

I don't understand this either. I was expecting a sharp rise - and think it's still very possible. Interesting that the total number of tests conducted hasn't increased by that much.

I suspect the public are less and less interested in what the modellers forecast. They are looking increasingly silly all the time.

Regarding the booster shots, in the spring, we were told that the Autumn shots would be 'tweaked' to better protect against the variants. I guess that isn't happening now?

16 Sep 2021 22:38 pm:

What I do find odd is that despite our early lead in the " vaccination race ", our cases, deaths and hospitalisation rates are sill leading similarly populated countries by a large margin. Is it our Govt's lacklustre performance on lockdown / vaccine passports? Tbf, France, who tend to be far more libertarian than us, have suspended, without pay, 3000 healthcare workers, who've failed to get jabs and have a " no passport, no fun " policy, which despite large protests has worked. Or is it just the lazy / selfish attitude of Brits, that seems to be the norm nowadays?
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

17 Sep 2021 07:37 am:

I think the whole vaccine success was a temporary acceleration back in the spring, most of our peers have at least caught up with us, if not overtaken.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support