COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 05 Jun 2020 07:41 am said..

steckers wrote: there is no such thing as truth anymore.

How very true :(
JamesK
On the board

lovejoy 05 Jun 2020 09:15 am said..

JamesK wrote:
steckers wrote: there is no such thing as truth anymore.

How very true :(

Agreed facts don't really matter, its what people think that counts. This is why they are repeating "world beating" all the time so it sinks in. Once the perception has been created it is very difficult to dislodge.

We are second of 200 countries in deaths/million so its difficult not be critical of the approach surely?
lovejoy
On the board

The Vic 05 Jun 2020 10:17 am said..

ONS data is suggesting that the new infections each day is between 5k-6k. Not sure what the time lag is on that
The Vic
Hall of Famer

steckers 05 Jun 2020 14:06 pm said..

Maybe Lovejoy. The question is: why are we 2nd? When we have some answers then we can start to be critical.

Are we 2nd because many countries are being dishonest with their data? Recording differently?

Or is because we are the most obese nation in Europe?

I have no idea - which is why I will wait for the answers. I see the daily numbers and get as frustrated as the next person.
steckers
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 05 Jun 2020 14:39 pm said..

steckers wrote:Maybe Lovejoy. The question is: why are we 2nd? When we have some answers then we can start to be critical.

Are we 2nd because many countries are being dishonest with their data? Recording differently?

Or is because we are the most obese nation in Europe?

I have no idea - which is why I will wait for the answers. I see the daily numbers and get as frustrated as the next person.

We have the highest population density in Europe, which doesn't help and one reason why we should have locked down earlier.
John Neary
DieTrying

steckers 05 Jun 2020 15:22 pm said..

There is certainly an argument for that DT. But let's be honest, the numbers didn't fall that quickly during lockdown - we were still having high levels of death and new infection in late April - 5 weeks after lockdown.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 05 Jun 2020 15:27 pm said..

steckers wrote:
3 thing I think have been well done:

- Generally I think they have communicated well with the public - very early daily briefings which included scientists and a variety of different people. Taking questions from the media, local media, public etc. These put my mind at rest hugely early on. I think the media have reverted to type in the last month, I actually think some of it is a disgrace to the country. If it were scrutiny - fine. But it's not.
- The job retention scheme and other business support packages have been fantastic (I acknowledge there are gaps - my wife's company has fallen victim to some - but that's inevitable)
- Support to the development of a vaccine.

The whole thing needs a proper review and there has to be lessons learned so we are better prepared in future. But I do think people are now using the pandemic to suit their own political agendas - and to me that's far worse than anything else that's happened. We are getting like the States now - there is no such thing as truth anymore.

Surprised you think communication has gone well, the mixed messages coming out have been one of the biggest problems, exacerbated of course by you know who's cavalier approach to the guidelines. Also Johnson is a poor communicator, he waffles, bumbles, goes off on tangents and can rarely finish a sentence. His track record of untruths and half truths also doesn't help his credibility. Winston Churchill he ain't.
Agree about Sunak's contribution. Rather hyperbolic of you to call it 'fantastic' - similar schemes have been adopted elsewhere, but so far he's been a steady hand and done a good job.
You'd rather expect any developed nation to want to be involved in developing a vaccine. Is our contribution noteworthy or like our track and trace app, "world leading"?
I also agree with you that the government have been trying to use the pandemic to suit their political agenda, which is why it's crucial to hold them to account for their handling of the response to the virus.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Ciren35 05 Jun 2020 16:00 pm said..

lucifer wrote:I also agree with you that the government have been trying to use the pandemic to suit their political agenda, which is why it's crucial to hold them to account for their handling of the response to the virus.

Just to correct you, the actual word used in Stecker's reply (which, by the way was extremely balanced and non-emotional) was people, not Government.

By this, I interpreted this as being individuals from all sides of the political spectrum, which again, would be a very fair assessment.
Ciren35
Vice-Captain

steckers 05 Jun 2020 16:26 pm said..

Thanks Ciren. You are absolutely correct - I don't think the govt have done that. I really meant those on the left on this occasion - and the media. I fully accept, if the Labour party were in power, the people on the right would have done the same.

So my comment was more about how pathetically partisan we are now. I did have hopes for 5 minutes that maybe we could reverse that trend - but I was wrong. No-one really cares about the people. Politics has become all about winning.

I'm not going to comment on Lucifer's post. I think my track record on this thread shows that we disagree on these topics - but at least we have done so respectfully.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Ciren35 05 Jun 2020 17:00 pm said..

Steckers - if you’re considering becoming a politician, then I wouldn’t bother if I was you.

No offence meant, but you’re far too balanced, reasonable, sensible and honest to consider this as an alternative career.
However, if you decide to take the plunge, then please let me know your planned constituency, as you’d get my vote
Ciren35
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support