COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 20 Jun 2020 14:44 pm said..

The Vic wrote: Children seem to neither spread it or are impacted by it as severely. If children do get it, it generally comes from adult to child transmission.


Where have you seen that children don't spread the virus, Vic? If this is true it would change my view about schools returning but I thought that at best it was unproven.
Posts: 783
JamesK
On the board

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 20 Jun 2020 14:50 pm said..

JamesK wrote:
The Vic wrote: Children seem to neither spread it or are impacted by it as severely. If children do get it, it generally comes from adult to child transmission.


Where have you seen that children don't spread the virus, Vic? If this is true it would change my view about schools returning but I thought that at best it was unproven.


Evidence is patchy but its mainly due to lack of studies, but the snippet below is taken from the website

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19-in-children/

"Nonetheless, the overall trend emerging from the evidence to date suggests that children have a limited role in spreading the virus.

One widely cited study investigated the contacts of one 9-year old boy with Covid-19 as part of a wider contact tracing study of new coronavirus cases in the French Alps. The boy visited three schools whilst symptomatic, but the researchers found no evidence of transmission of the virus to other pupils in follow-up interviews and testing."
Posts: 2550
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 20 Jun 2020 14:58 pm said..

That article seems to be rather sitting on the fence, saying "According to these reviews, the evidence to date does not provide a definitive answer to the question of whether children are more or less likely to get or pass on the virus. ".

I'd want to base decisions of schools returning on stronger evidence than this.

It is interesting though how we can take different messages from the same article. For me this shows that there is very little proven fact about the virus and the difference between a cautious and optimistic outlook.
Posts: 783
JamesK
On the board

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 20 Jun 2020 15:05 pm said..

JamesK wrote:That article seems to be rather sitting on the fence, saying "According to these reviews, the evidence to date does not provide a definitive answer to the question of whether children are more or less likely to get or pass on the virus. ".

I'd want to base decisions of schools returning on stronger evidence than this.


Unless someone takes the time to do a study then you are not going to get that evidence. The challenge is that on the whole children are asymptomatic, which means that are unlikely to get tested. I think the French study is the best you will get
Posts: 2550
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 20 Jun 2020 15:25 pm said..

I see that there was an outbreak in schools in Israel after they reopened:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... discovered

It does seem that reopening and reducing distancing in schools is a leap into the unknown. I realise there are different economic and child development risks from keeping schools closed.

Another impossible decision for each government.
Posts: 783
JamesK
On the board

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 20 Jun 2020 15:33 pm said..

JamesK wrote:I see that there was an outbreak in schools in Israel after they reopened:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... discovered

It does seem that reopening and reducing distancing in schools is a leap into the unknown. I realise there are different economic and child development risks from keeping schools closed.

Another impossible decision for each government.


I'm good friends with some GPs, they generally think its adult to child transmission rather than the other way round. In fact one of them is campaigning for social distancing to be dropped altogether among children
Posts: 2550
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

RTS2 20 Jun 2020 15:49 pm said..

Vicarious liability is perhaps the point ?.

There does appear though to be a pattern of mistake after mistake.

The comment about apple software on 7 version etc is fine as outlined by DT above ; and yes technically he is spot on ; however the Govt. were warned about this and they chose to ignore that advice. Moreover , the IOW trial also backed up that advice in practice but even then it was being hailed as a success prior to wider launch by some who appear to make political gain even out of every total c@ ck up .

Vic I have agreed with 98% of what you have said throughout the last few months on the thread. I am not sure about the child spreading the virus data . I see them as more efficient spreaders given the right situation ; which is one where the ability to control their social interaction is restricted. The same for youngsters who wish to attend lockdown raves. Insanity.

Your GP friend has a view which is a valid one as is any ; but just because they are a GP doesn't make them an expert on virology or the coefficient dynamics of it spread adult V child.
Posts: 4751
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 20 Jun 2020 16:04 pm said..

The Vic;

Apologies ....I have deleted your post here, when try to cc and paste into the thread.


The way in which this tread works means I can inadvertently delete and amend posts ! :oops: . Not by my design but by way of who the software works on the website. I don't know how I have managed to avoid doing it for these three months; a momentarily interruption my side resulted in a lapse of concentration. Please feel free to re-post what you said. I am sorry.

Your point was about the damage the of children not being able to socialise, and their ( social ) development etc.
Posts: 2550
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

RTS2 20 Jun 2020 17:09 pm said..

Apologies again The Vic;


This was the reply that inadvertently got stitched into your post .. :oops: -please re-post yours if you like...

I agree that social distancing is damaging in many ways to children and to many adults too. The rise in mental health issues ( depression and loneliness for many etc ) within society as a result of the pandemic will be difficult to gauge , but should not be underestimated.

I agree; totally ; but they are separate issues ( technically speaking ) to the one based on the propensity of children v adults to spread the virus. They can't be confused even though the impact overlaps.

Children....they adapt far better than adults in general, and these days many socialise trough the internet and social media and come up for air and food and to often" grunt" :) in between.

I think that in many families there has perhaps been a resurgence in family activities within the home and even a deeper understanding from the dreadful pandemic-related impact; so not all children will be impacted in a detrimental way. Some yes; for sure but this has to be balanced by the effects of not having had any lock down measures and /or social distancing protocols.

Looking forward this adjustment can help educate the next younger generations how to deal with such scenarios should ( God forbid ) they have to deal with them as parents in future years themselves. It's an experience we all have to learn from ; adapt to and try and move forward from . We might have much more awareness too about basic hygiene and who knows some budding young virologists might emerge too.
Posts: 4751
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

JamesK 20 Jun 2020 18:26 pm said..

Indeed, RTS. I’m sure there are differing opinions about the safety of schools reopening fully but more research is needed before a final decision.
Posts: 783
JamesK
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support