COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

steckers 23 Jun 2020 12:41 pm said..

I think we have to say the 'easing' of lockdown has been very well managed by the Govt. I appreciate that's not the narrative of this thread and there are some that wish to give them no credit whatsoever.

But ever since the first easing in May - and at every stage since - there has been much concern expressed about it impacting the infection rates and causing new spikes. To date, things have gone fairly well and numbers are steadily dropping. Let's hope that continues.

I'm not sure about the 2m rule being relaxed but it's been unrelenting pressure on them to change it. Again, I hope this doesn't have an adverse affect.
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 23 Jun 2020 12:48 pm said..

As I've said before, the government has to perform an almost impossible balancing act in removing lockdown and keeping us safe from the disease. It appears they have been relaxing things at a fairly sensible pace. I think we'll be a fair bit safer once an effective track and trace scheme is in place.
JamesK
On the board

lucifer 23 Jun 2020 16:40 pm said..

I think "very well" is somewhat overdoing it, Steckers. The "world beating app" that was going to be crucial to our track and trace ability, the u-turns on schools returning and free meals for vulnerable children in the holidays, the ridiculous timing of the quarantine measures - all symptoms of a government that doesn't know what its doing and is too conceited to consult significant others. However, as I've said before I think Sunak has played it pretty well thus far by keeping demand from crashing and has managed to avoid the wholesale business collapses that would otherwise have occurred. I know you think I have it in for the government, I don't, what I've been judging them on has been their actions not their politics and I don't think they've handled the crisis at all well. The new relaxations seem to have happened because of pressure from the business community, the 'science' seems less convinced they are timely. In other words they are reacting to a particular source of pressure rather than following a coherent plan, just as in the u-turns mentioned above. So B+ so far to Sunak, D- to Johnson and some other cabinet members - credit is only given when it is due!
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 23 Jun 2020 17:02 pm said..

Lol Lucifer - I think that's as gracious as you have been :lol: I mean that with good humour.

Yes they need to get the app up and running and there is still lot's to do.

I just meant that the order in which things have been relaxed seems to have been well managed so far. They have got various things opened up without affecting infection levels or deaths. As James and others have said, these are impossible decisions. Hopefully the progress continues.

I have to say - I'm not critical of U turns generally. For me, it's about getting the right outcome. Free meals - they got the right decision eventually. Many govt wouldn't have changed their mind. I'll add - if we are critical of them for doing that - next time they'll dig their heels in.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Number10 23 Jun 2020 18:16 pm said..

As a teacher, I dont think they have u turned on schools at all. They always said if it was safe to do so and it wasnt at the time so they scaled back their expectations. I think that was sensible. They have made lots of errors but I would not class that as one.
Number10
Hall of Famer

lucifer 23 Jun 2020 20:06 pm said..

I'm not arguing with the above outcomes which I agree are for the better, it's the process by which they got there that is the cause for concern. Namely the flying by the seat of their pants approach to policy which, earlier, was disastrous. Whereas I think Sunak has a longer term vision of what he's trying to achieve and there is coherence in his steps towards economic recovery.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

shedwebadmin 23 Jun 2020 20:46 pm said..

Think Sunak will come out of this with much higher stock than when he went in, one to watch as Boris’ successor.

But then, I had Javid down for that role too.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

steckers 23 Jun 2020 21:18 pm said..

I actually think Hancock's stock has risen too. Clearly there have been some issues, most notably with PPE, but generally for a very young MP I think he has done well.

Flying by the seat of their pants. Hmmm. I've also heard them criticised for taking too long to make decisions and present their strategies.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 24 Jun 2020 00:00 am said..

I think Hancock has been hung out to dry by Johnson, taking most of the flack (much of which he didn't create) instead of the PM. If they ever get round to an investigation I'm sure Johnson will try to push the blame on to him - and the 'scientists' of course.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Number10 24 Jun 2020 04:24 am said..

To be fair Johnson was on a ventilator in hospital during some of the key decisions. I think the biggest failing was that people were not willing to make key decisions quick enough when Johnson was out of.action
Number10
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support