COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 24 Jun 2020 08:06 am said..

Id like to see the Government reverse their decision on student nurses, seems a bit of a silly thing to do. I also still can't understand why pubs need to open above children's sports. Weekend drunks cause far more damage and burden to the NHS. Some bits of the easing don't make sense, like the meet indoors but stay a 1m apart.

That said it will never be an easy task and I guess they have to draw a line somewhere. Sunak has come across well, as has the sports and culture secretary Oliver Dowden is it??? I've never liked Boris and never will, Hancock had an impossible job particularly when over a decade of lack of investment into health care started to place strain on the whole system. Part of me wonders if their ideologies will have been changed or shaped by this experience
The Vic
Hall of Famer

lucifer 24 Jun 2020 09:19 am said..

The Vic wrote: Part of me wonders if their ideologies will have been changed or shaped by this experience

Well, The Vic, Sunak seems to be following a classic Keynsian approach to the problem as opposed to the 'free market' approach so many of them have championed lately. Who knows, their capture of a swathe of mainly northern, formerly Labour, seats may mean they now feel obliged to look after that constituency as is so far being borne out by their policies. Also Johnson, as well as experiencing the virus first hand, is known to like the kudos received from big projects so he would be likely to support large infrastructure expenditure. Its an interesting mix in government now and the dynamics may have changed, as for how long, that remains to be seen.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 24 Jun 2020 10:59 am said..

steckers wrote:I actually think Hancock's stock has risen too. Clearly there have been some issues, most notably with PPE, but generally for a very young MP I think he has done well.

Flying by the seat of their pants. Hmmm. I've also heard them criticised for taking too long to make decisions and present their strategies.

How you can conclude Hancock's stock has risen based on what we have seen with care homes, PPE, world beating app, death rates, is amazing to me, you seem to suggest he is young so must have done well???

Another classic example how current politics is based on opinion over facts.
lovejoy
On the board

Gloucester Mute 24 Jun 2020 11:43 am said..

Would it just be best to line up the whole Tory Cabinet/Govt and shoot them Lovejoy ?? You and others are just dull with your completely blinkered beliefs and refusal to ever give any credit at all. :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2411  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

steckers 24 Jun 2020 13:35 pm said..

Lovejoy - surely the whole thread is opinions?

I THINK his age is relevant. He hasn't got that much experience so to find himself in this position through an unprecedented health crisis is noteworthy (to me at least).

Obviously we'll wait and see but I can assure you I don't blame him for the death rate. None of us know the reasons for our high death rate. If you really must - you can say the government's action are a factor in the infection rate. But it still doesn't explain our high death rate compared to other countries.

I don't blame him for anything really but if we are talking accountability then you can put PPE in his box.

Care homes - I've read some reports where the scientists have accepted some responsibility on the advice they gave govt.

But I have been very impressed by him when faced with tough questions from the media. I think he gives clear answers - without all of Boris' bumblings. I think he presents himself very well and pretty sure he will have more senior roles in the future.
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 24 Jun 2020 13:45 pm said..

It does seem that there is relative inexperience in a lot of they key government jobs. I've no idea if that has had an impact.
JamesK
On the board

lovejoy 24 Jun 2020 15:09 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Would it just be best to line up the whole Tory Cabinet/Govt and shoot them Lovejoy ?? You and others are just dull with your completely blinkered beliefs and refusal to ever give any credit at all. :roll: :roll:

You are quite a person Mute.

Generally this thread has been courteous even though people have disagreed. You posts immediately tend to the extremes then get angry about these extremes which you have yourself assigned to people not what they've actually said.

You then resort to name calling and don't really offer anything meaningful in response.

Unless you're heavy on irony ("blinkered beliefs") in which case I salute you, this subtlety has been lost on my until now.
lovejoy
On the board

lovejoy 24 Jun 2020 15:17 pm said..

steckers wrote:Lovejoy - surely the whole thread is opinions?

I THINK his age is relevant. He hasn't got that much experience so to find himself in this position through an unprecedented health crisis is noteworthy (to me at least).

Obviously we'll wait and see but I can assure you I don't blame him for the death rate. None of us know the reasons for our high death rate. If you really must - you can say the government's action are a factor in the infection rate. But it still doesn't explain our high death rate compared to other countries.

I don't blame him for anything really but if we are talking accountability then you can put PPE in his box.

Care homes - I've read some reports where the scientists have accepted some responsibility on the advice they gave govt.

But I have been very impressed by him when faced with tough questions from the media. I think he gives clear answers - without all of Boris' bumblings. I think he presents himself very well and pretty sure he will have more senior roles in the future.

Lack of PPE, the number of deaths and putting untested people from hospitals in to care homes where vulnerable people reside, lack on an app are all facts. The opinion comes from accountability, I suppose. The Health secretary is responsible for much (if not all) of this in a Health pandemic, in my opinion.

I was disappointed when he felt the need to lie about the testing stats to artificially claim he met them, rather than just fess up that we did well but didn't quite hit the mark. But that's history now.

I am impressed by Sunak, the furlough scheme has worked well in supporting people whose jobs were at risk. I am nervous that this system has been abused by some and is setting future generations up with a massive future tax burden. However their relaxing of this scheme, in conjunction with opening up the economy, is the right thing to do. It's a pity out case numbers are still relatively high but that's not Sunak's fault.
lovejoy
On the board

Number10 24 Jun 2020 17:36 pm said..

lovejoy wrote:
steckers wrote:Lovejoy - surely the whole thread is opinions?

Lack of PPE, the number of deaths and putting untested people from hospitals in to care homes where vulnerable people reside, lack on an app are all facts. The opinion comes from accountability, I suppose. The Health secretary is responsible for much (if not all) of this in a Health pandemic, in my opinion.

I was disappointed when he felt the need to lie about the testing stats to artificially claim he met them, rather than just fess up that we did well but didn't quite hit the mark. But that's history now.

I am impressed by Sunak, the furlough scheme has worked well in supporting people whose jobs were at risk. I am nervous that this system has been abused by some and is setting future generations up with a massive future tax burden. However their relaxing of this scheme, in conjunction with opening up the economy, is the right thing to do. It's a pity out case numbers are still relatively high but that's not Sunak's fault.

I wish they would admit not reaching the targets as well. Unfortunately the way politics works in this country is ridiculous. They find the need to make overly ambitious claims to please the media/opposition. Then if they fail the media/opposition will destroy them so they feel the need to lie about it.

It is a real shame that both parties cant do what is best for the country rather than trying to score points and the media make it a hundred times worse!

I think a straight talking honest mp would be fantastic but they wouldn't survive with all the lies and deceit in politics.
Number10
Hall of Famer

steckers 24 Jun 2020 17:37 pm said..

I'm going to leave the tests issue- we've done it all before and don't agree.

But deaths - we'll have to wait and see. There are countries with far more infections than us but with far fewer deaths. We have to get to grips with why. It will take some time. But if, for example, the high level of obesity in this country is a factor - you can't put it on the health minister. Just 1 example and obviously that's just a maybe.
steckers
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support