COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

Russglos 04 Jul 2020 07:45 am said..

Following months of post- Covid illness, things took a bit of a turn for the worse over the last couple of days. Blood test at GP late yesterday afternoon, followed by a call this morning. Now on the way to GRH for scans and xrays.
I tell you this, not for sympathy but to emphasise what a bugger this virus can be and the problems it can cause and to beg you to avoid it if you possibly can.
The fact that pubs opened at 6am, does not fill me with goodwill for those who have ultimately allowed that to go ahead.
Russglos
Hero in the making

The Vic 04 Jul 2020 08:53 am said..

We can let Mute defend Boris all he wants.

China needs to be held to account, along with our Prime Minister for whom I have zero respect for. Until the food markets and hygiene standards are universal then viruses will always find their way into humans. To be honest the WHO needs reform and part of the reform could include setting food and hygiene standards across countries.
The Vic
Hall of Famer

JamesK 04 Jul 2020 09:37 am said..

All the best Russ.
JamesK
On the board

theoptimist 04 Jul 2020 11:34 am said..

Look at Japan’s response and its impact...very low testing, a lock-down that was well below the severity of those implemented in the west and under 1000 deaths in the nation in spite of a crowded metropolis of over 35 million people.

Good article on the BBC if you can be bothered to read something that goes against your well embedded paradigm.

Too many myopic posts on this thread that are informed by only the side of the debate that supports that person’s current thinking. It’s complex ... would be good to be open minded and fully informed before stating opinions as if they’re facts (I would suggest that no one fully understands Covid yet - so posting from a position of strength is tricky!)

Not sure why Mute gets such special treatment... I agree with his sentiment that charging the French PM with misconduct isn’t going to help anything, indeed it could all result in capable people shying away from such public service (why risk it!), or make those in power more concerned with safeguarding themselves rather than doing their job.

I of course wish any who have suffered with Covid 19 all the best with their recovery...
theoptimist
Hero in the making

lucifer 04 Jul 2020 12:13 pm said..

Not sure such rather grandiose notions of "public service" are the motivations for most world leaders today, theoptimist. Maybe in NZ currently but I can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head. Actually you mention Japan above and that might fit the bill too. Interestingly those are two of the best performing countries in their response to Covid19 compared to the inflated ego approach of many other world leaders.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 04 Jul 2020 21:45 pm said..

Indeed Lucifer...NZ and Japan have both had much success (In deaths per 100k for example) yet their actions have been very different indeed.

It is probably fair to say that the reason for the UK’s poor outcomes is more complex than we could know...and not just a result of gross incompetence, negligence, huge ego or conspiracy etc.

Public service a grandiose notion? Sad times if so as it would be lovely if those who served us were motivated by a desire to serve... maybe the UK and it’s desire to blame has missed that boat.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

DieTrying 04 Jul 2020 22:29 pm said..

lucifer wrote:Not sure such rather grandiose notions of "public service" are the motivations for most world leaders today, theoptimist. Maybe in NZ currently but I can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head. Actually you mention Japan above and that might fit the bill too. Interestingly those are two of the best performing countries in their response to Covid19 compared to the inflated ego approach of many other world leaders.

I'd say:

Japan: Has a highly cultural hierarchical system and if the Top say stay indoors etc, they do. ( I've been there many times )

NZ: Small Population, far enough away from anywhere to close itself off.

Unfortunately we live in a Democracy, that allows thick people to think it won't affect them, Politicians that have big ego's and probably wouldn't be employed in the real world. Then you have Civil Service that, imho, has a bureaucracy that is still stuck in the dark ages and not agile enough to adapt to sudden changes. I mean there is still a Civil Service set of Honours just for doing a Job. That alone is archaic and completely out of touch in the Modern World. The Empire disappeared but the CS still live in it.
John Neary
DieTrying

The Vic 05 Jul 2020 20:32 pm said..

I think we now have to begin to discuss that sports like rugby, martial arts, football will not exist come September. The guidance in the opening of schools requests for non contact physical activity. I think there is a distinct possibility that certain sports are now finished.
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 05 Jul 2020 22:56 pm said..

The Vic wrote:I think we now have to begin to discuss that sports like rugby, martial arts, football will not exist come September. The guidance in the opening of schools requests for non contact physical activity. I think there is a distinct possibility that certain sports are now finished.

What ?? For ever ?? I think that is a bit extreme Vic. No doubt some sports are much more contact-heavy than others but to imagine they will cease to be ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2415  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

The Vic 06 Jul 2020 08:13 am said..

Mute... do you think sports clubs can survive. They are already fund raising, another few months of it and many clubs will cease to exist. Future generations will miss out on sports... poorly managed by a terrible PM
The Vic
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support