COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

lovejoy 10 Jul 2020 15:49 pm said..

My friends in Guernsey have got closed borders extended until September and they haven't had a new case since April. We have 500+ new cases a day and will have opened up the economy almost entirely by the end of July. It's a great balancing act at the end of the day I guess.
lovejoy
On the board

Sheddy Mcshedface 10 Jul 2020 16:08 pm said..

lucifer wrote:Also a spike in infections won't necessarily mean a spike in deaths. The virus may have weakened, the population more resistant and most of the vulnerable succumbing first time round.

I think you are being very optimistic with most of the vulnerable snuffing it first time round. The vast majority of those who would be vulnerable have been shielding so not been anywhere near it.
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

lucifer 10 Jul 2020 20:11 pm said..

You may well be right Sheddy, though I don't expect the vulnerable to unshield anytime soon - and certainly not rush into care homes. Certainly the lack of crowds at the pubs (certain inner city ones excepted) and restaurants this last weekend would suggest people aren't going to throw caution to the wind any time soon. I guess we'll know pretty soon if the rise in infections - inevitable once lockdown is relaxed - translates into a proportionate increase in deaths to the first wave but I think we've got to give relaxation a cautious try - we can't stay in lockdown ad infinitum. And yes I am cautiously optimistic that it won't be anything like as bad next time round.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 10 Jul 2020 21:03 pm said..

And there are a couple of drugs that help. Haven't really heard anything about the blood plasma trials for a long time?

I'd hope the death figures stay lower - surely the added protection for care homes will help in that regard?
steckers
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 15 Jul 2020 11:43 am said..

So wear a mask or not, is the latest focus.
I'm slightly confused though, the science supports it why not bring it in now rather than wait until 24 July? Is it a "monstrous imposition" or doing something for the greater public good? As someone who works in London, I see tourists, particularly from the far east, wearing masks when out and about prior to lockdown.
lovejoy
On the board

lucifer 15 Jul 2020 12:16 pm said..

According to John Crace in the Guardian it's because the government has top level intelligence that the virus has declared an amnesty and won't be infecting anyone before 24th July! It's just a continuation of the shambles of a response with anyone but the government at fault. How many u-turns is that? Expect another in a couple of days when you'll need to wear a mask to pubs and restaurants.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

RTS2 17 Jul 2020 06:41 am said..

World data is horrific. Daily reported cases rising and now approaching 250,000 new one's daily. Daily reported covid-related deaths globally now consistently over 5,000 and rising in line with the increased daily cases being reported. Lets hope the second wave doesn't hit the UK worse than the first wave has. It appears that many are not following any social distancing guidelines.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 17 Jul 2020 08:54 am said..

Our case and deaths per day is falling at a slow rate compared to other countries (and indeed to Scotland and Wales), which is both sad and worrying.
lovejoy
On the board

lucifer 17 Jul 2020 10:20 am said..

RTS2 wrote:World data is horrific. Daily reported cases rising and now approaching 250,000 new one's daily. Daily reported covid-related deaths globally now consistently over 5,000 and rising in line with the increased daily cases being reported. Lets hope the second wave doesn't hit the UK worse than the first wave has. It appears that many are not following any social distancing guidelines.

I guess for the 'world' figures much of this is still first wave - have you seen any figures which examine the death rates from the 2nd wave? It seems to me most of it has been localised infection spikes that haven't led to many deaths. That mad week when places like Bournemouth were swamped with trippers doesn't seem to have had fatal consequences.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 17 Jul 2020 10:35 am said..

Johnson has announced today the decision to relax rules around returning to work as well as warning against a second wave in the autumn. To me this is inconsistent and puts the onus on individual companies when public level guidance is required, in my opinion.

Also very telling that he had Dido Harding from the track and trace team and not the SAGE advisors with him today (Whitty and Vallance) when surely their input would be far more valid than a lady married to a government MP.

He also mentioned being battle ready which we should see how this plays out, hopefully better than the vacuous slogans of "world beating" and "protective ring".
lovejoy
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support