COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

The Vic 20 Jul 2020 09:18 am said..

So a government needs to give strict guidance on how to act, and back this up with punishments. Normally these selfish people would only be naming themselves so I’d say let them crack on. However in this instance it impacts all of us.[/quote]

People should be able to make their own decisions, this kind of totalitarianism is one of the major problems of this outbreak. Its control by fear. Keep in mind this has a world wide death rate of under 1%, with much of the modelling being widely incorrect. If someone wishes to do social distancing then thats fine, if there are others that do not then that is their decision. Any virus has the potential to be deadly, those who are clinically vulnerable should take extra precautions but we cannot treat the way we are living now as a good thing for the fabric of our society
The Vic
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 20 Jul 2020 10:46 am said..

The scenes we see on beaches are due to a subset of the public's selfishness. They get away with it because of the mixed messages (is it safe to be 1m or 2m, should I wear a mask etc), whereas if there was clear, unambiguous consistent guidance, enforced for those who break it, the incidents would be decreased (in my opinion). For example each pub should have to have a list of all clientele at any point and if a police spot check finds this isn't the case then they should lose their licence. Same as quarantine for overseas travelers. People know these measures aren't being enforced so are more likely to flaunt them. I think this would decrease the selfishness but ultimately there will always be people who wont follow the rules through selfishness, ignorance or sense of entitlement.

Also having leaders setting a good example following their own rules would have of course helped, but that horse has bolted I'm afraid.
lovejoy
On the board

steckers 20 Jul 2020 12:50 pm said..

I'm going to ignore your last point because it's been done to death.

I don't think there particularly has been mixed messages - the media perhaps confused the issue of 1m/2m but nothing to really result in lots of people being 0m! I think you do people a disservice. The reality is there is a varying degree to which people are bothered about it. Some people (mainly in the US) think it's all a hoax - but many here have decided not to concern themselves.

Clearly there was some mixed messages re masks last week - I do think the science has been inconclusive on the topic - but perhaps we should have made this decision 1-2 months ago. Hindsight. Who knows if it would make a difference.

I agree re enforcement but the police have certainly been vocal against playing a role in this. Very difficult to achieve.

But the biggest challenge we have right now if people taking these things seriously. Some will and some won't - nothing to do with the govt.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 20 Jul 2020 15:40 pm said..

Steckers, you can't seriously say there hasn't been mixed messages, Johnson says one thing, then Gove or someone else says something different. Lovejoy gave some good examples above. People hear Sturgeon and think that applies here. Hardly anyone I know is clear about exactly what the rules/guidelines are. Is distancing the same on the beach as in shops, in pubs and restaurants, on public transport? Why are you allowed in cinemas (confined, indoors) and not a county cricket match?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

lucifer 20 Jul 2020 15:41 pm said..

Sensible people try and maintain a distance between themselves/their 'bubble' and others - Bournemouth might not have been as bad as it looked on TV if it was mainly family groups. Others (Leeds United supporters!) obviously don't give a damn and don't care who they might infect or injure. And it's not the media it's coming straight from the politician's mouths! As you say, the police have stated there is no way they can 'police' this with their limited resources and as the Vic says people have to take responsibility, however where TV footage exists of people flouting the guidelines and endangering others I would throw the book at them. Leeds magistrates courts would be very busy places in the next couple of weeks if I was Chief Constable there.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 20 Jul 2020 15:42 pm said..

Read my post again.

Questioning the rules with 'why' is a different issue.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Lurker 20 Jul 2020 19:31 pm said..

I don’t watch the briefings anymore - stopped in April. However, I know what I am allowed to do or not to do because I look it up. It’s not hard. agree there are mixed messages - sturgeon doesn’t help the rest of the Uk (in fact I found her delivery of daily infections and deaths was totally heartless)
Lurker
Hall of Famer
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle

lucifer 20 Jul 2020 20:22 pm said..

steckers wrote:Read my post again.

Questioning the rules with 'why' is a different issue.

I have - the why bits were meant to show how the messages are so confusing. Sorry if it missed the target.
On a different tack this vaccine from Oxford Uni looks promising, they reckon they can get it ready for October unless there are any late hitches - and Trump hasn't bought up all the doses!
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 20 Jul 2020 21:54 pm said..

I meant my comment agreeing there was mixed messages about masks - but Gove is an idiot!

Yes Oxford vaccine looks good. Hopefully they can find out if it works - I suspect that will be difficult in this country but maybe the trials in Brazil or South Africa will help in that regard. Unless they do some challenge trials but I suspect that's unlikely (this is when they deliberately expose some people to the Covid virus to see if the vaccine protects them).

I don't think the wider public will see anything for a while though - I believe they are already producing doses but suspect that will go to NHS staff / other frontline workers. Nevertheless very promising.

The Moderna vaccine in the USA also had some similar results from their phase 1 trial (only 45 people). Not sure if it had the T-cell outcome.

Also the therapeutic treatment from Southampton seems very promising. Obviously more trials needed.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 20 Jul 2020 22:41 pm said..

I think the Oxford one just needs more testing on the elderly, they've been struggling with their research lately because the infection rate has got so low! So they're trialling it in other countries because their sample group here aren't catching the virus - which is good news in one respect, but not for the vaccine. Its certainly looking more hopeful now though that we'll a) get a vaccine and b) it's not too far off.
lucifer
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support