COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

Castle Grim Reaper 04 Sep 2020 07:51 am said..

It is accepted medical fact that you can have traces of the virus at a level that is too low to transmit to other people, these still show as a positive test, the science is completely flawed.

For weeks now deaths have been at roughly zero, hospitalisations are very low and decreasing despite completely flawed Welsh and Scottish figures, only the testing figures are going up.

But don't let that get in the way of the government making life an absolute misery for us all whilst carrying on their own lives as normal.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

The Vic 04 Sep 2020 09:17 am said..

love joy - its also being reported in the Guardian, so you have two spectrums of politics commenting upon it. Guardian don't quote Hancock either.

I think we need to open up society now. For me the government has far too much power right now, and there is not enough scrutiny to some of the contracts being dished out
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 04 Sep 2020 09:37 am said..

So "open up society" everywhere OR just in UK ?? Global infections/deaths a concern ?? Open travel and no quarantine ?? And do so going into the flu-season and colder weather ??

Potentially a very big strain imposed on the NHS and risking a lot of hard work/effort already made.

Would "open up society" actually mean from your perspective not treat Covid-19 as a global pandemic + potentially risk a second-wave during the Winter months (and schools/Universities/holiday-makers all returning) with a correlating death-rate amongst the old and those with underlying illnesses ??

Really keen to hear your replies The Vic. My persuasion is to impose due/sensible caution until a vaccine is in use.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2624  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

lovejoy 04 Sep 2020 09:48 am said..

How guaranteed is it that a viable vaccine will be found? At least in the short term?
lovejoy
On the board

Gloucester Mute 04 Sep 2020 10:08 am said..

lovejoy wrote:How guaranteed is it that a viable vaccine will be found? At least in the short term?

No guarantee and ?-mark viable. Like you I can only go on the public info being supplied by the scientists, which TBF sounds promising.

I guess the balance is economy v life/health risk. Who wants to be sitting in judgement of that - and telling people like me (in their 80's) that we could be majorly at risk in a return to open society ?? Or will all 60+ unhealthy types be locked away ?!?!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

The Vic 04 Sep 2020 10:27 am said..

If we do not open up society there will be no NHS, got to pay for it somehow! The lockdown and equally economic downturn is disaster for the NHS
The Vic
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 04 Sep 2020 11:09 am said..

There was an interview on This Morning with Denise Welch regarding Covid today I think. I had to google her. She used to be in Coronation Street.
Until the media prioritise platforming experts when discussing serious matter, then the public are going to be, at best sent confusing narratives but more likely misled on such matters.
It should be made clear at the start of such interviews what qualifies the interviewee to discuss such matters. In this case not much. The doctor who sat quietly and gave a coherent logical narrative after obviously knew what they were talking about but ITV needed the actress on there as click bait or whatever the tv equivalent is.

I could go on about the airtime giving to the Tufton Street cabal and how interviewees should be transparent on who they work for but that's a rabbit hole for another day.
lovejoy
On the board

steckers 04 Sep 2020 12:33 pm said..

Lovejoy - I do agree and pretty much just watch Dr John Campbell's daily youtube videos now. They are very good - usually covering the topic in the news that day. Does include some science which is 'over-my-head' but generally he conveys it all in a very coherent manner.

I actually find them quite relaxing - and very positive in the main.

And like the Doc - I am completely convinced that we will have viable vaccines before Christmas. May take a while before they are available to the general public though.
steckers
Hall of Famer

The Vic 04 Sep 2020 13:44 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:So "open up society" everywhere OR just in UK ?? Global infections/deaths a concern ?? Open travel and no quarantine ?? And do so going into the flu-season and colder weather ??

Potentially a very big strain imposed on the NHS and risking a lot of hard work/effort already made.

Would "open up society" actually mean from your perspective not treat Covid-19 as a global pandemic + potentially risk a second-wave during the Winter months (and schools/Universities/holiday-makers all returning) with a correlating death-rate amongst the old and those with underlying illnesses ??

Really keen to hear your replies The Vic. My persuasion is to impose due/sensible caution until a vaccine is in use.

There is no easy answer Mute, I don't think social distancing is economically or socially viable. There are only some jobs that can sustain social distancing long term, but then the impact of people working from home means that smaller businesses eg sandwich shops, coffee shops will take a significant hit. In truth I think those who are clinically vulnerable will have to maintain social distancing, but those who are not should be able to choose.
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 04 Sep 2020 14:28 pm said..

There's a danger of separating our society into different groupings based on age/health and what they are/aren't allowed to do. Not an acceptable route IMHO. And how long would it last - until a vaccine came about ??

As someone at the wrong-end of the age/health scale I am not keen on being "locked-down" whilst the youth of today does want it wants when it wants.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support