COVID- 19

Vice-Captain

Re: COVID- 19

22 Sep 2020 06:43 am:

surely the independents, as charitable businesses, have a vested interest in ensuring they are set up to support their customers. Far-sighted, or just sensible business planning? And setting yourself up to regularly test 500 people isn't much of a challenge.
Allowing state schools to access the testing facilities isn't much of a decision either - it helps with retaining charitable status.

None of this detracts from the fact that the government and civil service should have been planning better for the inevitable rise in demand, it's just not a very useful comparison.
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 07:24 am:

I'm probably guilty of an over-reaction - but I'm so tired of people taking advantage of this pandemic for their political advantage. And I strongly believe a number of people on this thread do that regularly. I stopped contributing here because everyone was pretty much repeating themselves with nothing new offered.

I'll say this now - there are plenty of things to criticise this govt about - and on any given day, I'll have a good moan about brexit, education, health etc.

But if you really believe it is possible for ANY government to tackle this issue without making mistakes - then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I'll agree that the track and trace system has fallen way short- without really appreciating why or the logistical challenges involved.

Re testing - back in Feb/March we didn't have the infrastructure to do many tests. I've no idea whose fault that is - and I don't care at this moment in time. But slowly and steadily they have ramped it up. They were scoffed when they announced the 100k target - then the lefties and media were disappointed when they got there (I'm sure you will argue they were late - and maybe they were - but they got there).

Since then we have passed 200k a day. So it continues to rise. Yes we would all like it to be 1million a day. But we live in reality.

Re schools - I was teaching in an independent school last year. Adam has kind of nailed it. You have to look at them as a business. No different than a gym in many regards. They charge for a service that all of a sudden they couldn't provide through no fault of their own. I can assure you that (some) parents were questioning whether they had to pay the terms fees.

The stress in the sector was significant - and it's ongoing. So equipping themselves with testing is not a 'lack of confidence' in the govt. It's them looking after their own financial interests.
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 12:47 pm:

Madrid is introducing Martial law in the poorer districts, policed by the army! Boris reserves the right to use the Army for policing. Welcome to the death of the western civilisation!!!

22 Sep 2020 14:16 pm:

Interesting Testing figures: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54181291
aka John Neary
On the board

22 Sep 2020 15:37 pm:

Stecjers nobody I’ve seen is suggesting that the government should get every single decision right by any stretch. What we do call for us a coherent strategy and competent decision making. I do not believe our government have reacted as well as, say Germany or New Zealand but you are welcome to disagree.
Even today as I was travelling to the office for the first time in 6 months, we have Gove telling us to work at home if we can completely contradicting the pressure to return to work last month. Later Johnson says there are no general instructions to stay at home and businesses will carry on and remain open. There is no coherent strategy.
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 17:11 pm:

DieTrying wrote:Interesting Testing figures: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54181291

No doubt the detractors will find fault with this. Well done UK I say !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 17:14 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Stecjers nobody I’ve seen is suggesting that the government should get every single decision right by any stretch. What we do call for us a coherent strategy and competent decision making. I do not believe our government have reacted as well as, say Germany or New Zealand but you are welcome to disagree.
Even today as I was travelling to the office for the first time in 6 months, we have Gove telling us to work at home if we can completely contradicting the pressure to return to work last month. Later Johnson says there are no general instructions to stay at home and businesses will carry on and remain open. There is no coherent strategy.

When are you standing as the MP for Utopia ?? :roll: :roll:

Your missus/children must live in fear of your beady "perfect" eye inspecting the house etc; ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

22 Sep 2020 18:59 pm:

DieTrying wrote:A person I know has just trained up to be a 119 test request operator. now here's the issue. That person is getting calls non stop, asks a list of questions and then after all that, has to tell the caller that there are NO Test slots available. That is a disgrace.

It gets worse as this person cannot get anybody a test as the phone line that has to be rung is permanently engaged. As the person said: A few of them have advised an increase the call handlers on that line. No response from those higher up the food chain.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 19:38 pm:

Please write this again - this time intelligibly so I can understand.

We are all aware that there are overall issues re. Testing. What is your "I know someone who knows someone involved and they said........." adding to the situation ?? :roll: :roll:

Aren't there more important things to worry about short and long-term ?? Losing a 20-3 advantage v Barf + climate change !! ;)
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 21:11 pm:

Steckers, I wasn't suggesting the Independent Schools have a lack of confidence in the government, how could I know that? All I was saying was they were able to identify there would be a problematic shortage of tests come the start of term and acted accordingly. What I question is why the government weren't able to do the same - especially with 'super forecaster' Cummings in their midst and Johnson boasting his operation moonshot moonshine. Yes there are now more tests available than when there weren't any but far less than needed and a dire shortage of labs to analyse them. This yet another example of poor planning and lack of co-ordination.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support