COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

22 Sep 2020 21:48 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Please write this again - this time intelligibly so I can understand.

We are all aware that there are overall issues re. Testing. What is your "I know someone who knows someone involved and they said........." adding to the situation ?? :roll: :roll:

Aren't there more important things to worry about short and long-term ?? Losing a 20-3 advantage v Barf + climate change !! ;)

GM: The person is a family member( FM ), who takes the initial calls, goes through the questions and then books a test if required. The phone is non-stop, however the FM knows that there are no slots available and can't even get through on the dedicated phone number to book one. The FM and other people in the role suggested that more people should be manning the Booking line. They were ignored and yet we've all seen the pictures of empty Testing sites. If you can't get tested, you can't trace. Mind you the much vaunted new Track & trace app seems to be a bit flawed: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nhs-cov ... ct-tracing

Are their more important things to worry about? Possibly but a loss to Bath and Climate change pale into insignificance if a Family Member, Friend, Work colleague or even a fellow shedwebber dies, because a testing system is broken. I get the delicate balance between saving lives and saving the economy. I work in the Aerospace industry and that is on a knife edge but what is unforgivable is the failures of the UK Gov't to take the unpalatable but necessary action required to slow C-19 down. Again we had advanced notice due to the rising crisis in France & Spain but again we were toooo slow.
aka John Neary

22 Sep 2020 21:58 pm:

An interesting one the FM told me was that if you've had the symptoms for more than 5 days, you have no chance of a test as it won't "work". I'll get more info on that to-morrow.
aka John Neary
On the board

22 Sep 2020 22:08 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
lovejoy wrote:Stecjers nobody I’ve seen is suggesting that the government should get every single decision right by any stretch. What we do call for us a coherent strategy and competent decision making. I do not believe our government have reacted as well as, say Germany or New Zealand but you are welcome to disagree.
Even today as I was travelling to the office for the first time in 6 months, we have Gove telling us to work at home if we can completely contradicting the pressure to return to work last month. Later Johnson says there are no general instructions to stay at home and businesses will carry on and remain open. There is no coherent strategy.

When are you standing as the MP for Utopia ?? :roll: :roll:

Your missus/children must live in fear of your beady "perfect" eye inspecting the house etc; ;)

Re read my first sentence, you’re embarrassing yourself now. I’m not after perfection just vague coherence. Is that too much to ask?

An unrelated observation is that central London is a very sad place with few people and even fewer tourists at the moment, it almost looks like a city dying. Dystopia if you like.
Hall of Famer

22 Sep 2020 23:30 pm:

Glad that when I did my National Service - Glorious Glosters - that I didn't have you whiners with me.

Of course I realise that things aren't good BUT do you really think your continual whining and hindsight - always tinged with the same-old, same-old political slant - is helping ??

"Togetherness" and "Teamwork" expressions that you recognise in a crisis ??

DT - Your family member needs to check their contract re. blabbing to family about her work. Loose tongues can cost lives....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
On the board

23 Sep 2020 06:38 am:

There’s a lot of war like references in that post.

I agree with the team spirit aspect of your post but too many people are selfish and abuse the rules. The rules themselves are inconsistent and there seems to be a lack of strategy. A group of 6 children can’t go with a parent to feed the ducks even though they are in the same class at school but 30 people with guns can go and shoot them (the ducks not the children). Riddle me that.

Where is the world beating track and trace and isolate we were promised in May? By your logic we shouldn’t be able to ask such questions as it’s a lack of togetherness and constant sniping. Sorry, but in my opinion and with the greatest of respect, I disagree. This is the time we should be pressing the government on such matters. I suspect your old sergeant major would prefer us to blindly follow orders. Not me.
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2020 08:10 am:

Accountability, critical analysis are vital parts of democracy. You may not like these Mute, but its always been part of being British. The change is that in the internet age, the critical thought is easier accessed and shared. You may be more comfortable in China, if you wish to live without these things.
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2020 10:54 am:

I think there are some very reasonable questions about policies etc. And no doubt some of the criticisms are fair too.

But underlying these, it appears to me - is the assumption that it's possible to come up with guidelines that are perfect and please everyone.

We all know there are scenarios that don't make sense. I'm just not convinced it's possible to tackle this in a way that will please everyone.
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2020 12:34 pm:

steckers wrote:I think there are some very reasonable questions about policies etc. And no doubt some of the criticisms are fair too.

But underlying these, it appears to me - is the assumption that it's possible to come up with guidelines that are perfect and please everyone.

We all know there are scenarios that don't make sense. I'm just not convinced it's possible to tackle this in a way that will please everyone.

Its not about people pleasing, but it is about being able to respond to critical analysis that satisfies that they are aware of the potential pitfall of any policy and have a plan to manage that.
Hall of Famer

23 Sep 2020 19:36 pm:

"Togetherness" and "Teamwork" expressions that you recognise in a crisis ??

You might have had decent examples to follow GM, we're 'led' by liars and fantasists.
Hero in the making

23 Sep 2020 20:06 pm:

I think however you look at it, the Government haven't performed particularly well and seem to be ignoring other medical advice by leaders in their fields. Governments must always be held to account and be subject to robust scrutiny, but it doesn't feel like that at the moment, with Boris seemingly going on some unaccountable Churchillian crusade. Any increase in restrictions need to be debated in Parliament.

What does need more consideration is the actual mortality rates.
If it's wet, drink it.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support