aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

11 Nov 2020 19:42 pm:

Welcome back RTS - agreeing with me... a man of outstanding wisdom :D
Hall of Famer

11 Nov 2020 20:25 pm:

Not arguing - but wonder why it is deemed that the lockdown isn't working? Surely too early to make such a determination?

Certainly the infections have not risen to the levels of some of the other parts of Europe.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 12:29 pm:

steckers wrote:Not arguing - but wonder why it is deemed that the lockdown isn't working? Surely too early to make such a determination?

Certainly the infections have not risen to the levels of some of the other parts of Europe.

Well, they brought in Tiers and within a couple of weeks brought in a lockdown, who knows what is working and how. If you cancelled the lockdown today and told us all to stand on one leg it may show in a couple of weeks as being working.

We keep being told they are following the science but anyone with a GCSE in chemistry would know that you can't keep tinkering with things, you have to change one thing and then review the affect of this before changing another.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 13:50 pm:

Your assumption that they are following the science is flawed. The science wanted a 2 week circuit break and the government prioritised the economy.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 14:36 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Your assumption that they are following the science is flawed. The science wanted a 2 week circuit break and the government prioritised the economy.

We need to get past this idea that some how it is economy over health or health over economy. They are both intrinsically linked and require each other to be at good levels in order for a society to grow well. Lockdowns work if they are done very early on eg New Zealand. Once it is endemic within a society then its about learning to live with it eg Sweden. Lockdowns when it is endemic only push the health issue down the road, and also cause massive economic harm. You therefore need to look at strategies that create the least harm to society eg South Korea, Japan.

Unfortunately most of Europe hasn't really had a plan and stuck to it, they've panicked. I would argue France, Spain along with the UK just haven't known how to handle this situation well.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 16:43 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Your assumption that they are following the science is flawed. The science wanted a 2 week circuit break and the government prioritised the economy.

Oh, I certainly did not assume they are following the science, the two clowns can't even follow mathematics and a two week circuit breaker has no science in it whatsoever.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 17:11 pm:

Sorry, I will be factual. The government ignored the SAGE advice in late September to have an immediate and short "circuit breaker". SAGE provides scientific and technical advice to the government.

I agree the economy and "science" is inextricably linked (the worse the virus the worse it will be for the economy). The government makes decisions based on various inputs and balancing competing views. But lets get past the idea that the government is "following the science".
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 18:29 pm:

The science is also not very definitive in that there is no one single unified point of view. SAGE has been a bit of a disaster and seems to have a single view point on the pandemic and is in my view not scientific at all. It seems to have a bias, why on earth we are not disregarding anything from Imperial is beyond me.
Hall of Famer

12 Nov 2020 18:55 pm:

We may use differing logic to get there but it seems we are all in violent agreement that we are not following the science. That much is clear.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support