COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

19 Nov 2020 12:24 pm:

I've long espoused the NZ approach and government competence but often get shouted down for being unpatriotic and not pulling together.
The right wingers "who needs a lockdown, just look at sweden" brigade have gone quite quiet recently, haven't they?
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 13:13 pm:

lovejoy wrote:I've long espoused the NZ approach and government competence but often get shouted down for being unpatriotic and not pulling together.
The right wingers "who needs a lockdown, just look at sweden" brigade have gone quite quiet recently, haven't they?

Tegnell hasn't changed his approach, the Swedish government have decided to some things slightly differently, and is trying to sideline Tegnell.

I think I've said to you, New Zealand works if its not endemic and you do it really early on. That moment is passed here.

I also don't like the term right winger as it has connotations with fascism. The left wing can equally be as fascist. I would be happy to say I'm not really in any camp in my approach to politics, the less interference from government the better.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 13:49 pm:

lovejoy wrote:I've long espoused the NZ approach and government competence but often get shouted down for being unpatriotic and not pulling together.

Interestingly the government have been shown graphs that show many areas of the country coming down but state that on average it is going up or plateauing.

What happened to the idea of local lockdowns?
Where is the exponential growth that the national lockdown was supposed to counter?
First team regular

19 Nov 2020 14:22 pm:

NZ also worked because the population trusted their political leaders to make the right calls and so obeyed them. That hasn’t happened here and with the examples of Cummings and the Scottish Medical Officer perhaps not surprising.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 15:47 pm:

Also because NZ has a very low population density; is not a major travel-hub that can isolate itself very quickly as an island; has a less obese population and not that many high-risk categories. That also helps !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 17:35 pm:

I'm raising my eyebrows when you mention that its easier for NZ because they are an island.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 18:16 pm:

Check an atlas Lovejoy. Maybe I should have said remote island chain !! How many daily ferries, trains and planes arrive in NZ each day compared to UK. We have Continental Europe and Scandinavia a mere hop away........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
First team regular

19 Nov 2020 19:21 pm:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but stopping a few planes from Madrid in March could have made a big difference.
Watch BBC2 9pm tonight.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 21:15 pm:

A Chinese bloke not eating a bit of pangolin meat that an infected bat had been gnawing would have helped also. With hindsight. And allegedly.
Hall of Famer

19 Nov 2020 22:50 pm:

Some things, GM, are considerably less predictable than others.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support