COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

13 Jan 2021 12:18 pm:

The letter with codes, allows you to book and choose from a range of dates & times.

As the vaccination effort is ramped up, wider and quicker options will become available, but I agree, having a large number not turning up means the suggestion of a vaccine passport is more likely.

For the record, there are plenty of countries who have a higher death rate per head and density of population worse than the UK & as I type the UK is way ahead of every country, with the exception of Israel. The UK's model is now being copied by Germany, much to the annoyance of the EU.

Because of the UK testing the new variant was discovered here, although it's believed it came in to the UK from South Africa.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 13:37 pm:

lucifer wrote:"also think that the relevance and importance of a Captain is massively underestimated by many. IF you look back at nearly all successful club/Test teams they will all have had motivational Captains whom have led from the front and/or been influential in managing tactics/the referee/implementation of game-plan. Possibly in tandem/league with several other senior players in the squad in key tactical positions within the spine of the team."

Wise words of yours on another thread, GM. Explains why all the lack of "pulling together" you're always whingeing about doesn't happen under Johnson.

Yawn. :roll: :roll:

Any comment on Lewi's "good news" ?? Oh I forgot - you only comment if something negative occurs that you can blame BJ for !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 13:52 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
lucifer wrote:"also think that the relevance and importance of a Captain is massively underestimated by many. IF you look back at nearly all successful club/Test teams they will all have had motivational Captains whom have led from the front and/or been influential in managing tactics/the referee/implementation of game-plan. Possibly in tandem/league with several other senior players in the squad in key tactical positions within the spine of the team."

Wise words of yours on another thread, GM. Explains why all the lack of "pulling together" you're always whingeing about doesn't happen under Johnson.

Yawn. :roll: :roll:

Any comment on Lewi's "good news" ?? Oh I forgot - you only comment if something negative occurs that you can blame BJ for !!

GM, unlike yourself I'm not fond of repeating myself, check the other Covid thread on jabs if you were looking for my response.
No comment on the comparison between your 'wise words' on rugby captaincy and the leadershi pf the country?
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:13 pm:

I don't really think they're massively similar roles (Prime Minister of a leading nation of 67m/a rugby team Captain of 15) so relevant comparisons hard to make. I therefore ignored your "dig". The basic similarities:

The Conservative Party chose BJ to be their Leader. Presumably GS chose LL - though we also hear the squad chose LL on a popular vote. All other parties will single out BJ for their criticism.
When things go wrong both BJ/LL catch the flak though GS normally deflects it to himself.
I am sure they are both doing their level best in the face of adversity. Neither really have a right of reply.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 14:51 pm:

I think you can trace the public "pulling together" eroding significantly after the Cummings incident and the subsequent support he received from those running the "stay at home, save lives" campaign. Whether this was just the time people became fatigued by it all, it is impossible to be certain. I'll also throw in the "work at home if you can" when PMs met remotely but then decided they needed to meet face to face to see "the whites of each others eye".
All round a case of do what I say and not what I do.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 16:34 pm:

I would suggest that Cummings has already had enough coverage on this thread. Particularly considering he is a civil servant, albeit a high profile one. The media went to town on it and that also had an affect on the public perception of the incident.

I'll say it now, I did think he should resign. Some on here don't like it when you post something that opposes their view - all of a sudden you are a govt defendant.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 18:39 pm:

steckers wrote:I would suggest that Cummings has already had enough coverage on this thread. Particularly considering he is a civil servant, albeit a high profile one. The media went to town on it and that also had an affect on the public perception of the incident.

I'll say it now, I did think he should resign. Some on here don't like it when you post something that opposes their view - all of a sudden you are a govt defendant.

Editorials and analysts are identifying Cummings' actions as the tipping point for the public to stop all pulling together as GM would put it and looking for ways round the rules that didn't actually break the law rather than adhering to the spirit of them. There's always going to be transgressors but if you, as leader, sanction them public support will dissipate. To continue the rugby captain/leader analogy, when the country needed a Johnson, it should have been Martin, it got Boris!
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 19:11 pm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good. Can't imagine either DC transgressing MJ as PM or Captain. From memory I think "our" DC did have a run-in with Mr Beetlebrow...........
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 19:38 pm:

Lucifer - what do you want us to do about it? I half agree with you. And the other half can't be bothered.

I guess all Americans now have the excuse to not follow the rules because Trump doesn't. Obviously that's hogwash.

We're all responsible for our actions - all ways have been all ways will be. Anyone who looks at recent death data should see the seriousness of situation and if they believe they have even an iota of an excuse because of DC they're idiots.
Hall of Famer

13 Jan 2021 20:14 pm:

A vaccination passport mean little in terms of travel. In fact it means virtually nothing; as in fact there is NO evidence that vaccination will result in the inability to not transmit the virus. None.

The 30 % statement about people not bothering to attend or not wishing to take up the vaccination may just reflect the fact that is a matter of personal choice. That has to remain the case for a number of reasons. What perhaps would have helped is an online acceptance system of some kind, whereby those not wishing to take up the invitation of being vaccinated could have logged an indication of non-attendance. OK for some senior citizens then the lack of access or knowledge of how to use IT may have not helped . There could be other reasons why attendance was low . There is no simple answer to the shortfall and we have to just accept it -unfortunately.

What does need to happen is that the Govt. need to get the message out as to how important it is to attend, and how by not attending it potentially will slow down the vaccination process of those who do wish to take up the invitation.

What is very worrying is how planes are landing from Brazil without anyone being tested !!!!!. This is continued insanity of a grossly negligent approach to international travellers arriving in the UK; something that has continued for 10 months !.

You can still book a flight from São Paulo to London tonight without a PCR test. I would have banned all flights with immediate effect. I will predict that by Monday morning the first carriers of the new " Brazilian" variant will be being spreading it within the London underground; etc etc .

Lets make the task even more complicated than it already is in the name of liberalism .
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support