COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

16 Jan 2021 19:49 pm:

Clearly a slow-news day.

Incidentally, I went out with my son for a bike ride today and we didn't wear masks either. I guess we are evil incarnate also.
Hall of Famer

16 Jan 2021 19:54 pm:

Steckers...so you also walked within two metres of people and approached someone within two metres and you are perhaps "deputy" Health Minister and are telling everyone to protect the NHS ?.

Give yourself a pat on the back too. Hero

My daughter-in-law worked a 14 hour shift last night in the front line of a covid ward; and came home in tears. It's attitudes like yours that stinks to be frank
Hall of Famer

16 Jan 2021 20:28 pm:

No. It's attitudes like yours (and others on this thread) that are gradually leading us into a USA type situation. Where you have 'chosen your side' and above all else, you hate the other side. I'm sick of it.

Whatever you think of his performance - I'd hope we'd all agree that Hancock (and many others) are working damn hard and doing their best. I'm sure they've made countless mistakes. But going out on a Saturday to kick a ball out with his kids and he's now in some paper. And to be honest, I wouldn't wipe my arse with that paper.

So criticise him for policy decisions all you like. And sometimes others (like me) will argue with them. We live in a country where we have that freedom. Hopefully we can still do that with some level of respect. Even when bad decisions (or late decisions) have been made - those making the decisions are trying their best. We all get it wrong sometimes - I know I have MANY times.

We have to be really honest with ourselves - we'd be in this situation regardless of some of the decisions that have been made. It's crap. But we have to keep our chin up and keep going.

Finally, your people like your daughter-in-law are the real heroes. So give her a hug and remind he how much everyone recognises and appreciates the work they are doing.
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 00:18 am:

Hancock might be working damn hard and even doing his best but perhaps that’s not good enough?

Do you think we had sufficient PPE at the outset?

Do you think that years of austerity gave the nhs enough resources to provide critical care beds? If you voted austerity don’t you dare moan that the nhs can’t provide enough resource to provide critical care beds.

Do you think we met our testing targets or did we change the metrics of tests sent out and claim the targets were met?

Frankly I’d prefer minister tell us that they’d done their best but just missed the targets, than embarrass themselves by lying that they’d met the targets.

But don’t tell me that you vote for incompetent politicians and then tell me it is not their fault, or your fault. If you are supportive then you are complicit too then it is on your conscience also.
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 00:37 am:

Think you need to re-read my post. Because none of that relates to anything I wrote..

Austerity - the principle is fine and I agree with the sentiment. Of course it has nothing to do with Hancock per se.

When you credit someone like Hancock for some of the good things that have happened, I'll be more likely to listen to you in your criticisms.

I don't think we had sufficient PPE - but I'd also think that was true regardless of who had been in power. If one of the parties had been crying out about this pre-election, maybe I would think they had a point. After the fact is pathetic.

Of course all of this is fine to some extent. I said that in my post as genuine criticisms on policy are fair game. But we are talking about him playing rugby with his kid in the park.

Maybe switch off the politics for 2 mins and read carefully before you over-react.

17 Jan 2021 01:12 am:

PPE: No we didn't, but then no country did as China lied, as it usually does, left all countries floundering and playing catch-up and did us all over. Hopefully they'll be made to pay for their secrecy / stupidity but based on the latest EU / China Trade agreement, they won't.

Austerity: Sorry, but this was the direct result of the Blair / Brown days, which saddled us with the Debt that the " Austerity time " tried to reduce. ( Remember the note left by Liam Byrne? ). The NHS PPI's that Blair / Brown allowed have left NHS Trusts with £55 Billion of debt payback. Just think what that cash could do now.

Testing: Yes this started off badly but we're testing more than most: https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... worldwide/

Vaccinations: We're doing better than most: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

This crisis isn't about Politics: The Government has failed in some respects and done well in others. For me the biggest failure is our failures as individuals, to follow the guidelines. In a Rugby context; We all go nuts when the Ref's fails to apply the Laws, but then flout the C-19 Advice, rules, laws. Pot & kettle spring to mind.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 08:32 am:

steckers wrote:Think you need to re-read my post. Because none of that relates to anything I wrote..

Austerity - the principle is fine and I agree with the sentiment. Of course it has nothing to do with Hancock per se.

When you credit someone like Hancock for some of the good things that have happened, I'll be more likely to listen to you in your criticisms.

I don't think we had sufficient PPE - but I'd also think that was true regardless of who had been in power. If one of the parties had been crying out about this pre-election, maybe I would think they had a point. After the fact is pathetic.

Of course all of this is fine to some extent. I said that in my post as genuine criticisms on policy are fair game. But we are talking about him playing rugby with his kid in the park.

Maybe switch off the politics for 2 mins and read carefully before you over-react.

Fully agree. Sometimes political parties do not matter. We are in a crisis and people are trying their best some decisions have been terrible some decisions have been excellent but I don't think any of them are to do with politics more trying to solve problems in a crisis!
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 09:30 am:

To make the assertion that politics is not (/has not/will not entered/has not /isn't )the Covid-19 arena is ridiculous.

Some of us who flag up issues with Govt. policy on the subject. It is NOT about politics. It is about how the subject has been and is being handled . Some of us who are doing this voted for this Govt.

IF the approach and mistakes that are being/have been made are not highlighted and challenged then mistakes will most probably continue to be made. Again sadly these appear to be made on the most fundamental things ; even where there can be no clear political agenda.

Negligence and incompetence does not have to be politicised. IF in any professional capacity someone practices this ( even without intention ) they are answerable . This must apply to politicians as much as to anyone else.

Last night close to 38,000 were in covid-care wards; many fighting for their lives. There are 100,000 estimated NHS staff off sick at present and as many as 50 % of these with the virus or showing symptoms. We have doctors and nurses asking to be allowed to immune from covid-related negligence claims. Under-resourced, many are exhausted; and yet it was reported last night that someone failed to renew a vital contract with private hospitals that would have made 8,000 more beds available for covid-19 patients. It was reported that someone had forgotten to sign the renewal of that contract.

For the record; if you watch the video released on social media the senior minister filmed in the park appeared to have no son with him whilst he approaches the person filming. He appears alone; strolling along as if there is nothing happening to set any example to anyone about.

In the meantime NHS staff were fighting to save lives. Don't keep preaching to us about political agenda. It appears that many who do are the one's perhaps with the political agenda and the only means of protecting their idols is to tell others not to politicise the situation.
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 12:51 pm:

When you equate a govt minister for playing with his kids in the park to thousands of people in hospital - it's pure politics and time for it to stop.

By the way, some general advice - if you find yourself nodding along to stuff in the Daily Mail - it's time to have a long look in the mirror.
Hall of Famer

17 Jan 2021 13:28 pm:

Stecks if I took advice from you I would need to....

The mere fact you mention the mail in connection with my previous posts suggests you do this regularly ? ;)
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support