COVID- 19

Hall of Famer

Re: COVID- 19

03 Apr 2021 14:46 pm:

Though we knew there is a shortage of vaccine now so the focus for this month was switching to 2nd jabs. On a different tack, it's interesting Johnson didn't include France and Germany in the updated list of travel restrictions. Both those countries are in the midst of a 3rd wave - he must be confident we have sufficient numbers vaccinated to resist a 3rd wave here - or is he just flying by the seat of his pants as usual? Time will tell.
Hall of Famer

03 Apr 2021 15:12 pm:

lovejoy wrote:It’s only from Twitter but being reported only 68k first jabs done in the last 24 hours. I think that can be classified as “very disappointing”.

I actually think the vaccinations done this week is very good considering the reported downturn. There was over 100,000 first doses yesterday in addition to over 200,000 2nd jabs. That was on Good Friday too.
Hall of Famer

03 Apr 2021 15:14 pm:

lovejoy wrote:As a statistician, aren’t these numbers so low compared to the numbers vaccinated to make the correlation redundant?

Yes that's how I see it. Plus this rare clot is very treatable if detected so I suspect people will be more on the look-out.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 09:54 am:

Moving on to allowing crowds back in to games it seems some sort of 'green pass' or vaccine passport is being proposed as a condition of entry. That in itself is going to create a lot of issues but they're also talking about spectators having to take a test before entry to grounds. Is that workable on a practical/logistics level?
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 17:13 pm:

Happy Easter guys ( belatedly ) .

The vaccination numbers over the last 48 hours are very disappointing; but were expected.

Some of us were saying that more second jabs should have been given as a priority two months ago. It would appear that the Gov't have twigged onto this idea at last. The priority must be to get all over 50's fully vaccinated and not to worry about the travel industry and those in the younger age groups who are already looking at foreign holiday destinations.

The much speculated traffic light system for travel is a farce. Total !!. I hope BJ doesn't get sucked into the travel industry plea's. I would scrap international travel until the autumn. Anything beforehand and we will be running the gauntlet.
Hall of Famer

04 Apr 2021 19:34 pm:

RTS2 wrote:Happy Easter guys ( belatedly ) . Some of us were saying that more second jabs should have been given as a priority two months ago. It would appear that the Gov't have twigged onto this idea at last.

Then some of you were clearly wrong. The govt got the strategy 100% correct.

And they haven't twigged onto this idea - they said there would be a 12 week gap. We are now at 12 weeks since it started in full flow - and therefore they have started the 2nd jabs. All part of the plan along.

RTS you have made many interesting points on this thread. Often there is scope for opinion and no definitive 'right' answer. But on this one, you are completely wrong. And the UK's data over the last 6 weeks backs this up.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 09:45 am:

Just returned from Ashton Gate after receiving my 2nd jab. I was very impressed on just how efficient the system is down there. I was down as working in the NHS and it caused some confusion with the admin person on the front desk as why I was there.

Had a good chat with some of the staff I knew and they were saying some impressive numbers. 2 weeks ago they did 1980 jabs in a day, compared to 890 12 weeks ago. Also I was warned that if you had side effects from the first jab, they are likely to be repeated after the second. I had the four main side effects; Fever, Chills, Headache and sore arm. Told to start taking paracetamol straight away and continue for the next 24 hours. Also informed about the NHS yellow card system. I was also informed that I would be fully protected in 2 weeks time.

Brilliant to go back and see how the system has developed.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 13:36 pm:

Good news Tigerchef - I just got the 2nd jab letter for my mother. Drive thru at chelt fire station - was very impressed last time.

Personally I had my first jab done in Stroud and was very impressed there also.

It's been a good operation.
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 15:04 pm:

Looking for a factual answer - how long does the vaccine effectiveness last for? I found a study saying 6 months - is that correct?
Hall of Famer

07 Apr 2021 16:37 pm:

I think they are saying a minimum of six months, as that is all the information they have at the moment. Although the modelling shows that the UK should have achieved herd immunity by November. Which in itself poses the next set of questions...
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support