COVID- 19

Re: COVID- 19

steckers 15 May 2020 15:50 pm said..

Taken from an article I read on the NY Times...

Among the thousands of samples of the long strand of RNA that makes up the coronavirus, 11 mutations have become fairly common. But as far as we know, it’s the same virus infecting people all over the world, meaning that only one “strain” of the virus exists, said Peter Thielen, a molecular biologist with the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory.

Only one of those common mutations affects the “spike protein,” which enables the virus to infect cells in the throat and lungs. Efforts to produce antibodies that block the spike protein are central to many efforts to develop a vaccine. Since the spike protein has changed little so far, some scientists believe that’s a sign that it can’t alter itself very much and remain infectious.
steckers
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 15 May 2020 16:13 pm said..

Everything mutates lovejoy...

No offence intended but even you.

Different species of animals mutate at different rates (a mutation is nothing more than a mistake made when genetic information is copied...it’s a cause of aging) and different strains of virus mutate at different rates. I imagine this is related to their hosts and the type of genetic material they carry.

A coronavirus is a very different beast to a flu - don’t think it’s that brave a call to say it may mutate more slowly if that’s based on sound research and evidence.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

DieTrying 15 May 2020 17:25 pm said..

According to a small study bt Chinese Scientists, there's already 2 strains out there.
DieTrying

lucifer 15 May 2020 17:32 pm said..

I thought I read somewhere there's a fair few more than that.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

steckers 15 May 2020 20:11 pm said..

Dietrying - if thats the thought that there is a more lethal strain - I think its been disproved.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 15 May 2020 20:28 pm said..

theoptimist wrote:Everything mutates lovejoy...

No offence intended but even you.

Different species of animals mutate at different rates (a mutation is nothing more than a mistake made when genetic information is copied...it’s a cause of aging) and different strains of virus mutate at different rates. I imagine this is related to their hosts and the type of genetic material they carry.

A coronavirus is a very different beast to a flu - don’t think it’s that brave a call to say it may mutate more slowly if that’s based on sound research and evidence.

None taken but I was making the same point as you, CovId is mutating. I also agree that it MAY slowly it’s good news and we should be please. I havent seen any links to the research and evidence to support this so will refer defer my celebrations until we that. Perhaps someone could provide a link?
lovejoy
On the board

SirHenry 16 May 2020 17:19 pm said..

https://m.facebook.com/HaveIGotNewsForYou/photos/a.480809768770138/1449064238611348/?type=3&source=48

Again, we should take a leaf from Taiwan. If you persist in this sort of idiocy the fines are eye watering (10s of 1000s for repeat offenders).

It was known mid week there were such gatherings being planned. It would have been relatively simple to stomp on them with a very clear message that they would not be tolerated.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

steckers 17 May 2020 18:17 pm said..

I previously posted my hope that the Govt are prepared to start manufacturing of a vaccine before all of the trials are concluded - which would result in earlier distribution. So I am delighted to read this...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... oronavirus

That said, we are still a long way off - and I understand that a vaccine may not be possible full stop. So I'm not holding my breath.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 21 May 2020 10:53 am said..

Track and trace was due to be up and running by mid May with gentle relaxation of lockdown thereafter. We were due to be testing over 100,000 people each day by the start on May and 200,000 by the end of May. yesterday around 66k were tested (not sure how many we actual tests vs those stuck in the post).

Clearly we don't currently have this track and trace and the people being testing is well short of targets. Despite this the lockdown rules are being relaxed. Southend beach is full and Years 1, 6 and reception are still expected back to school on 1 June. Some people are suggesting the school children guinea pigs but before I jump to that conclusion what explanation is there for relaxing the rules without track and trace in place?

There were 363 deaths in the UK yesterday.
lovejoy
On the board

lucifer 21 May 2020 12:01 pm said..

The economy is starting to win the economy v. health battle. Dire figures about unemployment and concerns about recession are spooking many members of government and they've been pressing for some time for an easing of the lockdown. In their 'plan' the government said this will all happen when contact, track and trace were all in place. Unfortunately this is taking longer than they predicted (wonder where I've heard that one before) and the economic 'hawks' are now getting more influential. It looks like Johnson has thrown his dice and he's gone for easing restrictions before the identified steps have been reached - put the cart before the horse as someone observed. Basically it's a risk - it is a difficult decision for the government here because they're damned if they do by the 'doves' and damned if they don't by the hawks - and we won't know whether they've got away with it until we see the infection rate in a couple of weeks.
lucifer
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support