FIRSTJAB

Vice-Captain

FIRSTJAB

20 Dec 2020 16:22 pm:

Had my first jab in Stroud today along with a thousand others Didn`t feel a thing. Take a bow Matt Hancock and the NHS . Very slickly organised and without having to wait for approval from Europe.
Vice-Captain

Re: FIRSTJAB

20 Dec 2020 16:44 pm:

Why would you have had to wait for approval from Europe?

Genuine question.

There is a lie propagated by some unscrupulous Tory MPs that the use of the vaccine at this stage is due to BREXIT. It is, of course, like much of the self serving tosh they and their ilk have spooned up, utter bleep.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2020 17:00 pm:

Great news.
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2020 19:25 pm:

Good news Francophile. Can I ask how old you are? My 77yr old mum has been contacted by GP surgery and told she will get it in 2-3months!

Re the other point - have Europe started vaccinating?
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2020 19:34 pm:

I can’t believe people have had the vaccine and their first instinct is to come on here and try to make (patently wrong)political capitol out of it. It just goes to show, get a lie in first and it’s difficult to dislodge.
Senior squad member

20 Dec 2020 20:43 pm:

Congratulations on your vacation. I have to say there is nothing more symbolic of the glories of brexit than licensing the vaccine under emergency EU legislation which we weren’t involved in approving. This is the sovereignty we must now get used to.
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2020 22:47 pm:

But it is true if we were still in Europe - we wouldn't have started vaccinating?

20 Dec 2020 23:05 pm:

steckers wrote:But it is true if we were still in Europe - we wouldn't have started vaccinating?

Steckers: No. We're still subject to EU laws etc until 2359hrs 31Dec20, BUT any EU Country could have done exactly the same as we did under the same EU protocol. However Politics got in the way and the commission asked the 27 to wait until the EU Regulator approved it rather than leave it to each individual country's. They lost a few weeks of vaccination time by doing it. Another gain for us was that the UK regulator reviewed all the data on a rolling basis: data in, review & pass / fail, next bit of data in review & pass / fail etc. It worked and hopefully going forward, it'll be the way, reducing times for new drugs / treatments etc for other diseases and conditions.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2020 23:39 pm:

So no other country in the EU are vaccinating yet. Maybe it will only be 3-4 weeks but they all count.

21 Dec 2020 00:06 am:

steckers wrote:So no other country in the EU are vaccinating yet. Maybe it will only be 3-4 weeks but they all count.

I'd argue the point with von der Leyen's view that the EU's regulator " offers a more robust review" than the UK or the US as 1. The German Company involved, would have had to supply it's data to the German regulator for sign off. 2. The UK regulator is recognised as one of the most robust regulators worldwide & 3. we've still had to follow the same regulations. The fact that some countries are getting frustrated with the lack of urgency of the Commission is telling.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-coun ... cinations/
aka John Neary
Next

Return to COVID-19 Support