Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 112

Hall of Famer

Re: Vaccine Passport

05 Apr 2021 19:18 pm:

chris1850 wrote:The true statistic is actually a 0.1% chance of a LF test delivering a false positive. They rarely deliver a false negative if used properly

The governments own figures put the false negative rate at 28%. There is also nothing stopping anyone entering a negative result at home if they need a negative test to access an event. They are dangerous and a huge waste of money.
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 19:23 pm:

For me, like many others on here, it won't be an issue. In order to travel abroad anywhere, once we're allowed to, you will need some form of vaccine passport so I'll be getting one probably in early July after I've had my second jab in June. Using it to get into Kingsholm should merely require that the QR code is scanned at the turnstile along with my season ticket.

For those who can't, or don't get vaccinated some provision should be made, maybe set up a test station in the car park? Make an appointment beforehand, turn up with your ticket and have a lateral flow test carried out by someone trained how to do it properly to ensure consistency. If the test is positive, your ticket is invalidated.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 19:31 pm:

Hucclecote Glaws wrote:For those who can't, or don't get vaccinated some provision should be made, maybe set up a test station in the car park? Make an appointment beforehand, turn up with your ticket and have a lateral flow test carried out by someone trained how to do it properly to ensure consistency. If the test is positive, your ticket is invalidated.

For those that can't - some provision will certainly be made.

The idea about a testing station has some merit - could be expensive though. Who would pay for it?
Hall of Famer

05 Apr 2021 19:32 pm:

The risk won't be for the vaccinated it will be for those who haven't been. Maybe if they want to take their chance let them and avoid the whiff off of discrimination. It wouldn't bother me either way.
Senior squad member

05 Apr 2021 20:37 pm:

Forrester wrote:
chris1850 wrote:The true statistic is actually a 0.1% chance of a LF test delivering a false positive. They rarely deliver a false negative if used properly

The governments own figures put the false negative rate at 28%. There is also nothing stopping anyone entering a negative result at home if they need a negative test to access an event. They are dangerous and a huge waste of money.

Apologies. I should have phrased my point better.

You are right in that a false negative result is statistically more likely than a false positive. However, the latest figures suggest that the incidence of Covid within the UK population is running at 0.27% (https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2020-03-26) Or 1 in 370 people testing positive. Accepting your figure of 28% false negatives, that means that around 1 in 1,370 people tested will show as negative when they are in fact positive.
Senior squad member

05 Apr 2021 21:15 pm:

Isn't the question really about getting people back into the ground safely. Imagine that the powers that be legislate that any outbreak as a result of infection at the ground will result in Kingsholm remains closed for the rest of the season. Surely better for some to be allowed in than to have to wait until everyone is allowed in. Its harsh on those who can't have the jab, but that's better than being harsh on everyone (albeit more democratic).
Whether we have the infrastructure to achieve the monitoring effectively is another question.
On the board

06 Apr 2021 00:23 am:

Not sure where I stand on this but I have noted that the suggestion is that you won't need a passport to gain entry to a pub but will to a stadium and a theatre.
Also, I wonder how many LTF tests the Government have already purchased, so need a reason to use them up. Probably would have preferred an effective TTI system but the money for that is now sitting off- shore.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 06:18 am:

I find the idea of a vaccine passport for foreign travel somewhat amusing. Just because the govt. set's one up does not mean that the EU countries (amongst others but popular destinations) will accept it as a valid travel document.

Vaccination rates in Europe are way below those in the UK, (10-15% at the moment). Here in Belgium, my estimated vaccination for the 1st jab is June/July and September for the 2nd jab.

3rd waves appear to be kicking in France, and possibly Germany. Most parts of Italy are back in lockdown. None of these countries will be looking to receive visitors from a non-EU country, despite whatever 'passports' and promises are made, until a much higher percentage of their own citizens have been vaccinated.

Still good luck with ground access, whatever works to get crowds back to games, the better. The atmosphere at the Ulster game with a just 2000 fans was so much better than the empty stadiums all the other matches have endured.
Last edited by stuartjames on 06 Apr 2021 06:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vice-Captain

06 Apr 2021 06:48 am:

I think we have to take comfort from Australia - so long as community infection rates are low, sporting events should be fine without passports and we are headed in right direction.

QR codes / laminated cards / self certified test results can all be circumvented by anyone who wants to, including the tin hat brigade who don’t “believe” in them....

Ultimately to work it would have to be a seriously expensive photo ID - in all probability will be an extension to your “actual” passport - great excuse for government to roll out blue passports to keep the flag sh***ers happy.
Hall of Famer

06 Apr 2021 08:17 am:

This can’t be considered until a vaccine has been offered to everyone, surely. Then I have serious doubts if it involved handing medical data to the government (Cambridge Analytica anyone?).

I’m not even convinced having had the vaccine is the issue, surely it’s whether you have the virus.

Finally “How long?” If it’s just a few matches then it’s more reasonable but the concern is this becomes a permanent requirement. Income Tax was brought in as a temporary ,ensure to fight the Napoleonic Wars.
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support