Club position on COVID pass...

Senior squad member

Re: Club position on COVID pass...

18 Aug 2021 20:27 pm:

tigerchef wrote:Anyway, you need a Covid Passport or proof of a negative test to get into Beautiful Days in a couple of weeks time. I think we can stop all the 'government control' nonsense, if the Levelers are asking you to abide by the rules .

Yes I know, they sold themselves out with 'Leveling the Land'. Let it go.

As someone going to Beautiful Days this weekend, I agree with all of this apart from your last sentence - selling shedloads of albums doesn’t always mean selling out.
It’s a masterpiece, it just happened to coincide with the height of the New Age Traveller movement & the free raves across the country which became headline news. The Levellers became the go to band for newly interested people, and yes they got onto Radio 1 because Radio 1 couldn’t just ignore the popularity of the movement, but any musician wants their songs heard, and now tens of thousands of people know about the Battle of the Beanfield who wouldn’t have previously known about it.
I’m a fan by the way :D
Hero in the making

18 Aug 2021 21:43 pm:

Westterracefaithful wrote:
Thanks for responding James. Alas, you couldn't be more wrong. I direct you to the BMJ (a top quality journal you will agree?) https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1422/rr-13. I quote "Conclusion: The evidence from pragmatic trials (people wearing masks in everyday settings) suggests wearing of facemasks both induces risk compensation behavior and increased virus spreading from poor mask quality."

Westterracefaithful, the paper you reference above from the BMJ, was printed in Apr 2020, so very early in the pandemic. Whilst it raises some important points, in particular that the mask user should use them correctly, it also contains two or three references which examined mask wearing before covid 19 had been discovered, or very early in the pandemic.
There are more recent studies and views on masks, which do suggest that mask wearing, when performed correctly, significantly protects others if the wearer has covid 19 and may offer less protection for the wearer - google Zoe Covid Face masks (Zoe Covid at Kings College) and read their blog, if you haven't seen it, and do similar on Full Fact Face masks.
My view is that if there is some small benefit to others, rather than the wearer, then it is a very minor irritation to use them - but I have had to use masks frequently, so am probably biased!
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2021 06:36 am:

Having ventured to a shopping centre for the first time in over a year, I’d say mask wearing was at around 10-15% in Portsmouth yesterday.
Senior squad member

19 Aug 2021 10:43 am:

As an observation on the value of so-called Covid passes, I believe it's the case that a person who has not received the vaccine is at risk of contracting Covid, passing it on to others, and is also at risk of being ill/hospitalised/dying of the virus. In contrast, someone who has received two doses of the vaccine is at risk of contracting Covid and passing it on to others, but the risk of being ill/hospitalised/dying is greatly reduced as a result of the vaccine. It seems, then, that the only person protected by the vaccine is the recipient in that the risk of serious consequences is reduced, but that person can still contract/carry Covid and potentially pass it on to others. A vaccinated person who is asymptomatically infected with Covid could therefore be allowed into a venue by dint of showing a Covid pass, represent a limited risk to fully vaccinated people, and a potentially greater risk to non-vaccinated people, who could be presumed to have accepted the risk of not being vaccinated. If it's possible to unknowingly carry Covid, vaccinated or not, and potentially pass it on to others, vaccinated or not, I'm left asking what the value of a Covid pass is. I await the slings and arrows.
Site Admin

19 Aug 2021 10:59 am:

Because the unvaccinated would be at greater (unacceptable) risk of hospitalisation / serious illness / death if allowed in?

(Full) Vaccination mitigates the risk of hospitalisation / serious illness / death sufficiently to allow events to go ahead.

Agree though, with asymptomatic, fully vaccinated carriers allowed in, it does present risk, but the numbers must be deemed to be sufficiently small (unknown) so as warrant not calling it off?
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2021 12:39 pm:

Does the vax make it less likely for you to catch it?
Site Admin

19 Aug 2021 12:47 pm:

A bit, I understand (20% sounds familiar?), but far from entirely.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...

19 Aug 2021 13:34 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Does the vax make it less likely for you to catch it?

From the NHS website:

How well do the COVID-19 vaccines work?
Anyone who gets COVID-19 can become seriously ill or have long-term effects (long COVID). The COVID-19 vaccines are the best way to protect yourself and others.

Research has shown the vaccines help:

reduce your risk of getting seriously ill or dying from COVID-19
reduce your risk of catching or spreading COVID-19
protect against COVID-19 variants
The 1st dose should give you some protection from 3 or 4 weeks after you've had it. But you need 2 doses for stronger and longer-lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread COVID-19 even if you have a vaccine, so it's important to follow advice about how to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19.
aka John Neary
Hero in the making

19 Aug 2021 13:54 pm:

Data from the Oxford University study today/yesterday (700,000 randomly selected people, since December 2020, who had regular PCR swab and antibody tests) show, if my reading of the results is correct, that double vaccination with Pfizer prevented 75% of infection, three months after second dose, and that figure was 61% with the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
That would mean that, being PCR and antibody negative, you could not pass any infection on. If you were PCR and antibody positive and double vaccinated, you can still pass the infection on.
My interpretation, richclark, would be therefore, that being double vaccinated does protect other non-vaccinated people. The "covid passport" (for want of a better term) is useful in identifying the number of vaccinated people in a crowd at Kingsholm, for example.
DavidSillince, the slopes of Mayhill.
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2021 15:44 pm:

How is knowing how many vaccinated people are in the crowd useful?
PreviousNext

Return to COVID-19 Support