A rallying cry

Re: A rallying cry

Tj36 13 Aug 2017 06:06 am said..

[quote="MartynWestBerks"
And GR choked god final hurddle everytime, never to win the prize. Eventually TW bowed to the baying crowd and sacked the a successful coach rather than supporting him! Replacing DR with an unkown whilst reducing the squad to lightweights. 10 years of decline have followed.[/quote]

MWB,I think you will find the money ran out.TW did a great job, but a few of his investments went wrong and GR suffered.

Glad to corrected on this by someone who knows, but heard this from a reliable source.
Tj36
Senior squad member

Glen Sannox 13 Aug 2017 07:23 am said..

I reckon you are oh so wrong about RW. He brought financial stability to the club, loved it (and still does) but motor-racing is his business. He also, more than most (any?) other owner was offended by the salary cap shenanigans

He would also have preferred to sell to M. Altrad, but wasn't allowed to do it - that wasn't about money, as the bids were the same, but because he thought Altrad would be good for Glaws.

In the unfortunate circumstances in which he found himself, he did a great job, and, to be frank, I don't think he deserves the comment made.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

RTS2 13 Aug 2017 07:35 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I reckon you are oh so wrong about RW. He brought financial stability to the club, loved it (and still does) but motor-racing is his business. He also, more than most (any?) other owner was offended by the salary cap shenanigans

He would also have preferred to sell to M. Altrad, but wasn't allowed to do it - that wasn't about money, as the bids were the same, but because he thought Altrad would be good for Glaws.

In the unfortunate circumstances in which he found himself, he did a great job, and, to be frank, I don't think he deserves the comment made.

+1

Spot on
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 13 Aug 2017 07:44 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I reckon you are oh so wrong about RW. He brought financial stability to the club, loved it (and still does) but motor-racing is his business. He also, more than most (any?) other owner was offended by the salary cap shenanigans

This
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

MartynWestBerks 13 Aug 2017 08:22 am said..

It's the asset which is Kingsholm which has maintained the financial security and stability of the club, located in a prime City centre development area. Tony Rowe at Exeter capitalised on a similar situation to make what they are today.
MartynWestBerks
Vice-Captain

Still Realistic 13 Aug 2017 08:37 am said..

I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread? :( :roll:
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Steve M 13 Aug 2017 10:43 am said..

Still Realistic wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a positive thread? :( :roll:

What, on Shedweb !!!! :roll:
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hero in the making

Simmo468 13 Aug 2017 11:54 am said..

MartynWestBerks wrote:It's the asset which is Kingsholm which has maintained the financial security and stability of the club, located in a prime City centre development area. Tony Rowe at Exeter capitalised on a similar situation to make what they are today.

I don't think we are in a position to capitalise in the same way.
Exeter had a much bigger space to sell and that only managed to part fund the new stadium. They also got the huge Sandy park plot at a very favourable price which they could sell parcels off. luckily it was next to a station and a park and ride. Without these getting to and from Sandy park would be as bad as Sale.
I can't see where we would be able to acquire land close enough to the city and transport links cheap enough to make it work. Most green field space is in flood risk areas and the railway triangle would be costly and hard to get the mass of spectators in and out.

More could be done at Kingsholm.
About half the space is Parking for players and 1873. Put that underground build a hotel, gym and restaurant complex on top.
Simmo468
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 13 Aug 2017 17:01 pm said..

Where's the magic money tree :D :D :D :D we need some income first....
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

RTS2 13 Aug 2017 17:58 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Where's the magic money tree :D :D :D :D we need some income first....

Exactly.

I don't see a move away from CG for now. I don't really see the direct comparison being made between us and Chiefs by some on here either. Don't see the relevance of making it .

The dynamics around the asset value of CG are way over-emphasised by some on here; and therefore over-estimated and in effect at best it could be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. At worse it could be financial suicide ATM.

There is land-which could be " available" for a ground in the Gloucester area ; which would - in all likelihood be suitable on both flood-risk/environmental and planning grounds . The fact is it isn't going to happen for some time- if at all as things stand.

The Walkinshaw "bashers" on here should ( btw) really establish their facts before making the insinuations being made.
RTS2
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby