Friday is an important day for Gloucester

Re: Friday is an important day for Gloucester

Pieman 14 Nov 2017 22:35 pm said..

Sad I know, but I'm genuinely interested in the findings of any reports that detail the pros and cons of different surfaces. I'd be a little disappointed, if a higher initial cost, would deter GR from getting the best overall pitch. As such, I would be happy to 'sponsor' the pitch... Either, by buying a piece of turf from the old pitch, or some other scheme to help the club get a better pitch.

I wonder what considerations are taken into account?
Representative game requirements.
The number of games a week that can be played.
ongoing maintenance
resistance to frost, bad drainage, constant shadow etc.
ability to host concerts
ability to allow kids to have a kick about after the game.

I reckon its quite hard to make the right choice.
Pieman
Senior squad member

shedwebber 14 Nov 2017 22:39 pm said..

At the risk of appearing cynical, I would be very surprised if the decision about which artificial surface had not been already taken. Gloucester Rugby have proved very competent in keeping important information secure over the last few years.
Éire go Brách!
shedwebber
Vice-Captain

Lurker 14 Nov 2017 23:27 pm said..

This
Lurker
On the board

DieTrying 14 Nov 2017 23:45 pm said..

shedwebber wrote:At the risk of appearing cynical, I would be very surprised if the decision about which artificial surface had not been already taken. Gloucester Rugby have proved very competent in keeping important information secure over the last few years.

Unfortunately I think we'll go cheap & 3G, rather than a desso type, which would suit the new style. Note 4G, 5G & 6G haven't been officially graded as a "new" technology, so don't be fooled.
DieTrying

Lebowski 15 Nov 2017 05:58 am said..

The club have been fairly upfront about the financial constraints regarding the pitch. Altrad had pledged a state if the art desso as a gift to the club and the community - we can’t afford that! Worth bearing in mind for those who were, and seemingly remain, so opposed to his investment.
Lebowski

Sky blue 15 Nov 2017 07:00 am said..

Fair point. But those of us who don't like the idea of rugby clubs becoming the playthings of rich men's egos might point to Bath for an indication of how egos and rugby are best kept apart. I'd also like to give the example of Premiership Coventry City and their plans (under supposedly solid, rich new ownership) and their plans for a new 40,000 or was it 60,000, seat stadium. It was due to be tiled on the outside with exotic tiles, the sliding roof was to reveal the splendid Desso style pitch which sat on a huge tray to enable it to be slid out under one of the stands. There was to be a curtain to give the visual appearance of a 25,000 seat stadium for the smaller games. Oh how we looked forward to welcoming the world's top rock acts to our new home. Of course the club needed this to compete with the other rich owners in the salary cap free world of football.

Regrettably the eventual new owners turned out to be shits, the team now play in the 4th division. They have lost their training ground, they Don't own a stadium, as you know they currently squat in Wasps ground. The deal runs out at the end of the season and their behaviour has caused neither Wasps nor Cov RFC to want them as tenants.

Happy days?
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Oxford Glaws 15 Nov 2017 07:24 am said..

Pieman wrote: I would be happy to 'sponsor' the pitch... Either, by buying a piece of turf from the old pitch, or some other scheme to help the club get a better pitch.

My mate, a Leicester fan, did this and found himself the proud owner of an instant eco-friendly garden - complete with a colony of newts and a variety of rare bog-loving plants.
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer

SonofPricey 15 Nov 2017 09:43 am said..

For the avoidance of doubt, the Leicester pitch is not 'Desso'. https://www.countyturf.co.uk/news-from-county-turf/leicester-tigers-install-a-county-turf-eclipse-stabilised-natural-turf-pitch

The way the two pitches are built are exactly the same (as is the Artificial turf).
SonofPricey
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 15 Nov 2017 10:45 am said..

Welly was kind enough to give a good description of the WR pitch late last year, as a traditionalist I think this gives us the best of both worlds..the chance to play in softer winter conditions and the harder faster early season and spring conditions. I've watched a number of games on the surface now and really quite impressed.

No doubt the players and coaches will be consulted on their preferences and tbh I don't think the alternatives are hugely different in cost and as it's one off out capital budget shouldn't be too difficult to finance unlike players out of the revenue side.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

lucifer 15 Nov 2017 11:00 am said..

Didn’t MStQ say recently he wants the full plastic so the stadium can host more concerts?
lucifer
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby