Munster OGT

Re: Munster OGT

ShedOrDead 12 Jan 2019 15:41 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:We appear to have an underlying problem beyond injuries . Yes that's obviously a significant factor ; but there are others .

1) The Ackers game style and tactics are not being delivered or deliverable by all of the full squad .

2 ) We need a number of better squad players and arguably a number of better first - line players in a number if positions . This has been widely debated in the forum of late .

3 ) We need to adapt our game plan ( whoever is selected ) to suit the team we are playing . Whilst I'm not critiscing the coaching team ( as I've not evidence they aren't attempting this ) ; it's clear either players - captain(s) aren't following the script and allowing it to be easily disrupted or they just are capable of focusing it under pressure .

4 ) Errors and discipline . Almost predictable now in their own right . Has to stop ; or we will become a losing habit for too many league games . The Premiership relegation zone is uncomfortably not yet a clear cut matter .

Much thinking required for the next two matches - including taking a beating if it means giving some players a rest . I'd rather see some players getting experience and some more game time than trying to field our strongest side and continuing in the same vein as the last four . At least everyone knows that strategy and why before the next phase of Premiership matches .

I can't pick much fault with any of this, RTS2. Watching Acker's Interview in the YouTube channel, he was clearly restraining himself and his comments about talking a lot on the training ground show why: he knows the issues, he knows that the players know the issues, they have discussed what they are going to do about it, it's not happening. He must be very frustrated.

Need these few weeks to assess this and give others a shot. The Chiefs/Sarries back to back games will define the season.
ShedOrDead
Hero in the making

Chalker 12 Jan 2019 15:50 pm said..

As I have posted previously, we will benefit from other teams getting call ups for the 6N's, we must take advantage of this.
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Opportunist 12 Jan 2019 16:17 pm said..

After so many years in the Challenge Cup we weren’t prepared to make the step up. The extra high intensity fixtures have really taken their toll on the squad, as our injury list proves. We played well in the early rounds, but last night ran into a Munster side at the top of their game and the gulf in class showed. We’ll be better prepared for next season.

The break that we desperately need has finally come. We can now focus on the Premiership, where we’re still fourth, without any distractions for the run in.
Opportunist
On the board

Asgard 12 Jan 2019 16:27 pm said..

With the next league games against Exeter, Sarries, Quins & Bristol, fourth in the league maybe only temporary.
The way we are playing I do wonder were the next win will come from.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Stroud Wizard 12 Jan 2019 17:01 pm said..

Munster were calm but ferocious. When Gloucester scored it really hurt them and they upped the tempo even further. That ferocity was kept up for the whole game. They had that look in their eye.
Yes Carbery benefited from good ball but even so looked more international class than Cipriani.
Stroud Wizard
Vice-Captain

Peanutcoxy 12 Jan 2019 17:30 pm said..

Stroud Wizard wrote:Yes Carbery benefited from good ball but even so looked more international class than Cipriani.

Can you elaborate when they are playing behind different packs, receiving different speed of ball etc etc. Let me guess, Williams should have started and Cipriani on the bench
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

CMGC 12 Jan 2019 18:22 pm said..

Well SW has delivered the usual mountain of mixed messages. A lot of emotional twaddle and quite a few sensible takes on the game. Overall there was no doubt who should have won and who played better. To be fair Munster are a better squad on paper but I do bleive that the Glos team last night was potentially good enough to have won at home.
So why didn't we. I think the difference having rested and well prepared players all on the same page is huge at this level. We had a team with several players runnign on fumes due to having had to play too much high intensity rugby this season.
Hohneck - played in every main game this season
Walker not played enough !!!!!
Balmain - Started every Prem/ Euro game bar one !!!!
Slater no games off all season, Morgan - 8 starts in a row !!!! I won't but could go on with more of the same. Those players can't be at 100% after that much rugby without breaks it is just unrealistic to assume anyone can. They will all be carrying small knocks / injuries because there is no one else available to selcet. In the last 2 months almost no one in th e38 man squad has had a week off because we have so many injuries. The majority of their layers have had 10 -12 starts this season
For us Hohneck/ BalmainSlater/ Morgan/ 36/ Charlie etc. are on 15 - 16 starts.
I think our effort was fine but when we started to struggle we did lose a bit of cohesion. It is no coincidence that Sarries apart Eng teams have played 28 Champs L games this season and won a total of 7 - of which 3 were against the Eng teams !!! We are not the only eng team to find it hard.
CMGC

Peanutcoxy 12 Jan 2019 18:55 pm said..

About time a decent summary CMGC. Crap result but I love nights like that. Atmosphere was brilliant and we lost to a very very good side
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Lurker 12 Jan 2019 18:59 pm said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:About time a decent summary CMGC. Crap result but I love nights like that. Atmosphere was brilliant and we lost to a very very good side

+1
Lurker
Hall of Famer

RTS2 12 Jan 2019 18:59 pm said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:About time a decent summary CMGC. Crap result but I love nights like that. Atmosphere was brilliant and we lost to a very very good side

Yes it will feel a lot better if Munster go all the way and win the competition.
RTS2
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby