George Barton

On the board

George Barton

13 Oct 2021 22:28 pm:

Is he injured? He seems such a great prospect, I just wondered why he hasn’t featured.
Éire go Brách!
Hall of Famer

Re: George Barton

13 Oct 2021 22:57 pm:

Hopefully he will get some minutes when Hastings is away with Scotland.
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 05:00 am:

Think he said he had a knee tweak while on duty at the training facility tour last week. I got the sense that he knows where he is in terms of the team and his development and knows that he will get game time this season
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 07:20 am:

If he's fit he will get his chances - v. highly rated by the coaches.
Cherchez la truffe
Senior squad member

14 Oct 2021 09:45 am:

If he is fit play him, or make sure he plays somewhere. He needs to play and looks like a promising talent.
Hastings looks like a signing too.
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 09:54 am:

I agree. GB is the future and should be covering AH now, rather than covering Lloyd Evans. I am more concerned about giving GB game-time now (even on-loan) and not losing him to another club than LE who has frankly had his chance.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Senior squad member

14 Oct 2021 10:14 am:

I'd like to see GB steer a side around the park for a season to see if he has what it takes or can develop into a player who does. Looks well worth the investment in finding out.

GM that is harsh on LE who plays well when he gets a start and has deffinately has a role to play. I think he adds value to the 1st XV when he starts. With a stronger side a running flyhalf will be more valuable. We certainly need at least 4 outside halves in the senior and academy and as much as I'm a fan of BTT (and I am, he was my player of the season last year), but we can't regularly ask him to play 10.

There is also the salary cap to consider. LE is solid.
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 10:30 am:

Hastings is only 25 as well, I hope he’s a player we’re looking to keep for the long term and not just a 3 year stint.

Evans always gives his all but can’t see him starting ahead of a fit Hastings.

Barton and Evans will get plenty of opportunity during the international windows.
Senior squad member

14 Oct 2021 10:47 am:

GB83 wrote:Hastings is only 25 as well, I hope he’s a player we’re looking to keep for the long term and not just a 3 year stint.

Barton and Evans will get plenty of opportunity during the international windows.

I agree GB83, however I feel that it would be better for all to see how either GB or LE would go as the lead 10 at a minimum level of a championship club (or an equivalent league outside of England) for a season. I'm concerned that the international windows won't be enough to develop both GB and LE.
Hall of Famer

14 Oct 2021 11:15 am:

DSM wrote:
GB83 wrote:Hastings is only 25 as well, I hope he’s a player we’re looking to keep for the long term and not just a 3 year stint.

I agree GB83, however I feel that it would be better for all to see how either GB or LE would go as the lead 10 at a minimum level of a championship club (or an equivalent league outside of England) for a season. I'm concerned that the international windows won't be enough to develop both GB and LE.

With our injury record could be risky sending either of them away and I really don’t want to see Billy in the 10 shirt again.

I think Evans has had plenty opportunity now, he’s a good bench player but I don’t think he’s ever going to beat Hastings to starting shirt.

Hopefully Barton will get time in the international windows and learn as much as he can from Hastings.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby