Haskell

Vice-Captain

Haskell

16 May 2022 22:01 pm:

At it again with his stupid comments that he will argue is ‘banter’.

He may have done a lot to increase the reputation of women’s rugby but comments like this are not going to help.

He has rightly been called out on it and responded by blocking those standing up on Twitter!

Do you think we should be doing more to incorporate the women more? I haven’t owned a programme in years - is there mention of how the women are doing in there? Or interviews with the players?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/05/16/james-haskell-accused-disrespecting-womens-rugby/

Re: Haskell

16 May 2022 22:42 pm:

...and is he totally wrong? Someone called Rocky Clark being mentioned in the same context/breath as Jason Leonard is a bit strange in my world, I'm sure she's very good but how would she perform against All Black and other front rows on a non gender specific basis. Antonio v Rocky Clark really ..is that really a competition?

I only had a minimal interest in the sport played by the opposite gender which is being eroded by the second by reactions like this and only worsened by grunting female commentators on the tv .... the Red Roses are only dominating the sport because they are playing on an inequitable basis of fully professional v mainly amateur. A bit like Bath in their heyday.

So do we have to go back in every sport now and challenge every statement made by every pundit and check the gender statement and have to be gender specific on every statement we make?... sad old world this has become.

Time for me to give up...some say hooray!. My local pub is being told they are under a point of considering changing the Gents and Ladies toilet labelling to Toilets (with urinals) and Toilets (cubicles only) gonna annoy a lot of women off when I leave the seat up or down ;)
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

17 May 2022 06:52 am:

It's not the original tweet from the podcast that's the problem, it was the condescending 'have a day off' comment that followed. After being called out, he then blocked Simi Pam (Bristol Bears player who said it) rather than attempt to engage in conversation. Not everything needs to be a comparison between the men's and women's game, I understand that, but I don't think the default rugby position should be men's rugby anymore. The Red Roses are blazing a trail and forcing other unions to sit up and take notice. It is not devaluing the product, it's laying a foundation for the next few years that more nations will have competitive women's rugby. The 15s tournament was much more competitive this year, and for the first time (I think) the final won't be Harlequins vs Saracens as they are playing the semi final this year. Kudos to Exeter and Bristol for making the top 4, and an excellent season for Glos Hartpury. There have been huge strides this year and casual dismissive comments from 'pundits' are just unnecessary. Long post, but I am hugely passionate about this as my partner plays Women's Rugby for one of our local clubs so my eyes have been well and truly opened to the struggles women face in this sport
Hall of Famer

17 May 2022 07:05 am:

The GBR graphic was wrong as there is another English front row player who has gained more caps. This probably won't be popular but imo the achievements of Rocky Clark to the male players listed there aren't comparable due to the respective number of male and female English rugby players and the difference in the physical demands between the two games. However, I don't think that was the point Simi Pam was making. Genuine mistake by the GBR social media team which could've been easily rectified by a simple mea culpa. Haskell ballsed up and then doubled down on it.

17 May 2022 08:10 am:

Oh dear another storm in a tea cup. The Hask made his comment which I am sure anyone who read it understood. Simi then decided to take an over the top aggressive stance , which is why it all kicked off. The intelligent way to handle it would have been to make a constructive reply, understanding what was said but pointing out the numbers in the women’s game. Why rub someone’s nose in it if you don't have to, when no offence was intended.
Imagine how many on here would have reacted?
On the board

17 May 2022 08:16 am:

Expecting something intelligent from Haskell - that's a big ask.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
¡No pasarán!

17 May 2022 08:47 am:

RossM wrote:Expecting something intelligent from Haskell - that's a big ask.

:D :D :D
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Turns out for the A team

17 May 2022 08:58 am:

CMGC wrote:Oh dear another storm in a tea cup. The Hask made his comment which I am sure anyone who read it understood. Simi then decided to take an over the top aggressive stance , which is why it all kicked off. The intelligent way to handle it would have been to make a constructive reply, understanding what was said but pointing out the numbers in the women’s game. Why rub someone’s nose in it if you don't have to, when no offence was intended.
Imagine how many on here would have reacted?

Aggressive? I don’t think she was being aggressive before, she was pointing out her point of view? It’s Haskells reply that is the issue here
Site Admin

17 May 2022 09:49 am:

Yes, all he had to say was 'Yes, sorry, I meant the men's game'. But that didn't happen and now we've all got, as said, a storm in a teacup to over-analyse.. He probably should have read the room a bit better and toned his response differently, but there we go.. it's got him a few clicks and an ounce of attention, so..

Maybe Simi Pam was a little brusque in her comments, as you and I see it, but through her eyes the world probably looks sufficiently different for her to feel as she did.. unless we walk a mile in her shoes, we perhaps cannot understand.

The Red Roses can only play what is put in front of them, they work super hard, are doing their level best to showcase the women's game and are great role models for getting/keeping young girls in sport, particularly those who may not see themselves as ideal candidates for other sports.

Levelling up sometimes ain't easy to watch for those of us who have enjoyed the privilege of a gender advantage, historically.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Senior squad member

17 May 2022 12:29 pm:

I don't think Haskell's done anything wrong here. If someone says 'Jason Leonard is the most capped England prop', we all understand we're talking about the men's game. Just as if someone says 'Mo Hunt is the most-capped England scrum half', we know we're talking about the women's game. It would be ridiculously petty to jump in and say, 'Actually, Ben Youngs has more caps than that'.

That's what this Bristol player has done. In my opinion, the rudeness is coming from her, and it's understandable that Haskell asked her to have a day off. She goes on to say it's disrespectful to talk about rugby without making it clear that it's men's rugby you're talking about. Sorry, but that is nonsense, and this is a classic example of someone taking offence unnecessarily and trying to police what others say. As far as I'm concerned, people are free to talk about men or women's rugby and just call it 'rugby'. The context makes it obvious which you're talking about.

I say this as someone who thinks the rise of women's rugby is brilliant and the England women's team are phenomenal.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby & more