It is that bad

Hall of Famer

Re: It is that bad

20 Nov 2019 09:56 am:

I'd agree with Baz, I said after the Leicester game that we looked an undercooked side. For me whats concerning is that our forwards have been dominated in all our games so far. I get the desire to shift the ball around, but if we are being beaten up at the coal face we won't see the ball, its also hard to play offloading rugby under pressure and off the back foot. I like Ackermann, and I certainly do not want management change. I would however like a really good tight head and 2nd row. As much as it might be great to have someone like 'The Beast' at Gloucester its not where our point of need is. Maybe for Christmas we can have a top notch scrummaging tight head and heavyweight 2nd row. Maybe that will inspire the other forwards
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2019 10:00 am:

We are where we are. With , hopefully, Mostert and Thorely returning this weekend l hope for a better performance.
Apart from highlighting our current form your comments can’t achieve anything. We have got the squad we’ve got, we can only hope that some of our long term injured recover soon and results start to go our way.
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2019 10:32 am:

Whilst yes disappointed with the performances thus far, I try to take heed that the issues have been stemmed quickly after poor performances.

I'm not sure about selection process as of yet, the Cips - 36 combination worked well and breaking it up seems to have created a void in connected play.

The next game is going to be the telling point, we need a good full 80.
In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2019 10:41 am:

I must say much of that post from Baz is what was running through my head on a long drive home after Friday night. A win on Sunday is a huge ask and if it goes how many of us fear it might, then so to becomes Quins away the following week. Should there be two more defeats in the next fortnight, it's an ever bigger worry and will be 2/7 if you exclude the cup (2/11 with!!!).
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2019 11:03 am:

stevieb wrote:7 defeats from 9.

4 in a cup that no one cares about and where Glos mostly played a second xv
1 against the French champions
1 against the English champions
1 away to Leicester

Yes of course we'd like Glos to be beating the champion teams, but first goal is perhaps to be 'best of the rest'?

Thing is stevieb we did beat both the English and French champions at home last season and Leicester are bottom!
Hall of Famer

20 Nov 2019 11:35 am:

lucifer wrote:
stevieb wrote:7 defeats from 9.

4 in a cup that no one cares about and where Glos mostly played a second xv
1 against the French champions
1 against the English champions
1 away to Leicester

Yes of course we'd like Glos to be beating the champion teams, but first goal is perhaps to be 'best of the rest'?

Thing is stevieb we did beat both the English and French champions at home last season and Leicester are bottom!

Think Sarries would disagree with your last point! :lol:
Keyser Sose
Vice-Captain

20 Nov 2019 11:36 am:

Actually Saracens are bottom and will be for quite some time to come
Vice-Captain

20 Nov 2019 14:00 pm:

I think the Cheltenham air must be disagreeing with you Baz as you are unusually pessimistic; come back to the hills. For me, I'm reserving judgement for a few weeks yet. Rightly or wrongly the coaching team treated the Premiership Cup as little more than friendlies so I don't count them in our win-loss sequence. I'm not hiding from the fact that the performances against Leicester and Sarries were poor but I thought there were glimmers on Friday night albeit a largely defensive effort. I think how we respond in the next 3-4 weeks, including two consecutive tricky away assignments, will give us a better indication of how we are faring. But clearly both facets of our set piece play have to be more on a par with much of last season than the shoddiness of this one.
Neil Vincent
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
Vice-Captain

20 Nov 2019 15:01 pm:

Wasn't feeling too downhearted about on the pitch stuff - and then I saw that Westlife were coming....meanwhile, Ashton Gate gets The Killers...
Vice-Captain

20 Nov 2019 16:07 pm:

I'm guessing that after a loss of form in the middle of last season + the disruption of world cup at the start of this, the coaching staff are playing a long game and looking for everyone to be fit & flying in march/April/May next year, when things are actually won.

I'm also of the opinion that rightly or wrongly, JA is showing a lot of confidence & faith in the players he has selected - and is sticking by individuals rather than chop & change after one or two sub-standard performances. (several examples: eg why start Braley when Simpson is clearly on great form)

Things change through the season. I remember last year Baz (& I) commenting that GG looked great and couldn't understand why he wasn't making match day squads. This season he's going to be knackered by Christmas....
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby