It is that bad

Re: It is that bad

eynshamglos 02 Dec 2019 12:47 pm said..

Are we just a bit soft? The round ball game has a phrase for teams that constantly under achieve. They are termed as being a bit Spursy. Are we the Spurs of rugby. This not original thought. I have seen it debated on here before. Ed Slater referred to it when interviewed last season. If so why?
eynshamglos
On a trial

RTS2 02 Dec 2019 12:50 pm said..

eynshamglos wrote:I posted on the Quins OGT yesterday a couple of critical comments about Johan. Didn’t go down very well. Perhaps I was a little harsh. I don’t take Gloucester defeats very well. However, it is entirely right in my view that we question our head coach. We have criticised the squad individually & collectively. We have also criticised the defence coach, the forwards coach, the scrum coach, the attack coach & the strength & conditioning team. It’s only right that when we make the kind of start that we have this season, then Johan should shoulder his fair share. He has just had the longest pre season in history & from what I have seen he has wasted it.

I think everyone is fully entitled to have moments of harsh reflection at times; and I don't think your words were actually " way over-the -top". As a new poster you will always find that some regulars will react . Expect it ! ;) :)

What is important is to get the facts right . Your observations on many posting by many posters are correct.

JA must take his fair share of the blame for what's happening . I am pretty certain he will be . He's a tough nut and will be able to take it.

What is more important is what are he and the management of the team ( including DH ) are going to do about it ?.

Lets give them a bit longer to get the results out of the side; it's still too soon to panic and we can still come good .

However; I do question some of our " tactics" and the game management this season has been pants . I am not sure what ( if any ) impact Rory has had on the squad thus far. Did we need him ?. I am assuming DH thought we did ?.

Our defence has been OK at times but is STILL inconsistent. At times it has been woefully poor and we were caught out again a few times yesterday.

There is no doubt that we have the individual talent to be a top 4 side again this season ; but the weeks are passing by and we could be saying the same about being good enough to avoid relegation the way things are unfolding.

We miss both Slater and Heinz. I would give the captaincy to either Billy or Poledri ( despite his youth ) next match and start him .

As for game plan A and B we could discuss this for ages . At the moment it is non-existent.

Sign Merab !!!!………( I am tired of saying it )
Last edited by RTS2 on 02 Dec 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

lucifer 02 Dec 2019 12:50 pm said..

Steckers, your last couple of sentences kind of contradict the first statement! I wouldn't define 2 wins out of 11 as a wobble, we're one win off the bottom teams (assuming Saracens underfunded squad escape) and we've lost our last three league games, is anyone confident we'll beat Worcester next game?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

RTS2 02 Dec 2019 12:57 pm said..

lucifer wrote:Steckers, your last couple of sentences kind of contradict the first statement! I wouldn't define 2 wins out of 11 as a wobble, we're one win off the bottom teams (assuming Saracens underfunded squad escape) and we've lost our last three league games, is anyone confident we'll beat Worcester next game?

I was thinking about just that point on the way home last night .

Worcester has improved a lot this season and will be fancying another " upset ?" …...
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Big Red 02 Dec 2019 13:04 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:
lucifer wrote:Steckers, your last couple of sentences kind of contradict the first statement! I wouldn't define 2 wins out of 11 as a wobble, we're one win off the bottom teams (assuming Saracens underfunded squad escape) and we've lost our last three league games, is anyone confident we'll beat Worcester next game?

I was thinking about just that point on the way home last night .

Worcester has improved a lot this season and will be fancying another " upset ?" …...

I'm currently not confident of beating anyone, but I'm sure we will find a way to get over the line soon. For me I'd be happy to take wins in the next 3 home games (Connacht, Worcester, Bath) first and not worry to much about Connacht and Northampton away should the results be as expected.
Big Red
Hall of Famer

steckers 02 Dec 2019 14:37 pm said..

I don't really buy the 2 out of 11 wins. The coaching staff were quite open that they weren't too interested in the 4 cup games. In those defeats since we've:

Lost to Leic away - poor peformance but we never win there
Lost to French and English champions - narrowly
Lost away in France
Lost away to Quins.

None of that is great - but in each game there was some good stuff. So I just think it's a matter of pulling it all together.

Don't underestimate the affect of losing Slater. There isn't a single leader in the Glos squad when he isn't around (maybe Heinz but he's not there either).
steckers
Hall of Famer

shawnsheep 02 Dec 2019 17:32 pm said..

I don't buy all the negativity but then again I don't post often :) I used to but it just made me depressed.

Now instead of looking for the negatives, I always try to be positive, make Shawn a far happier boy.

So forgetting the premiership cup games (no interest) Euro Games (never believed we were good enough to fight on two front this early in the journey) we have played 5 real games, Won 2, lost 3.

1 against a team that could compete for a world cup place, but enough ink wasted on them, and the other 2 by 3 and 4 points. In both games we missed a sitter in front of the post which could have changed the result and last weeks, a break-throgh stopped due an injured player. We haven't played well, but we could be 4 out of 5.

The style of play is excellent, watch all the top teams, they are now running it from everywhere, it pays results when done well.

When Melvillle said we would hammer a team one day when it clicks, it never did, because we had two teams, forwards and backs, now everyone plays an off loading game, it will happen with this team.

Selection, Polledri and bring on subs hoping they will change something with less than 10 mins to go confuse, but overly its all positive.

Post a little less often and join my in my happy place
shawnsheep
Vice-Captain

ryno_chelt 02 Dec 2019 20:21 pm said..

I don’t get why there is such a melt down.

If someone told me that by Xmas we’d be comfortably above sarries I’d be thrilled :lol:
ryno_chelt
On the board
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby