Rugby salaries

Hero in the making
Posts: 502

Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 09:43 am:

Moderator
Posts: 4819
Location: In the sticks

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 10:40 am:

A few interesting lines in there

-An academy player could reasonably expect to earn £18k a year, rising to about 40k once they break into the first team.
-a fully-fledged senior squad member the average premiership contract is about £120k a year but they could get substantially more
-At the peak of a Premiership career a good club player might get just short of £200k before their earning start to decrease.

If you take our first team squad of 40 and remove two marque players then if we are up to the cap then the avarage payment is c £180,000 per player. we have assumed that Cips/ Mostert/ ?? are on closer to twice that or more. Who else would be on over £200 K per year.
Maybee someone can estimate wherever we are on this but it is difficult to see how Sarries can POSSIBLY be anywhere near the cap limit if our 40 are up to the cap limit.
On the board
Posts: 804
Location: The 'nam

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 10:59 am:

CMGC wrote:A few interesting lines in there

-An academy player could reasonably expect to earn £18k a year, rising to about 40k once they break into the first team.
-a fully-fledged senior squad member the average premiership contract is about £120k a year but they could get substantially more
-At the peak of a Premiership career a good club player might get just short of £200k before their earning start to decrease.

If you take our first team squad of 40 and remove two marque players then if we are up to the cap then the avarage payment is c £180,000 per player. we have assumed that Cips/ Mostert/ ?? are on closer to twice that or more. Who else would be on over £200 K per year.
Maybee someone can estimate wherever we are on this but it is difficult to see how Sarries can POSSIBLY be anywhere near the cap limit if our 40 are up to the cap limit.


I'd expect Billy Twelvetrees and Willi Heinz to be on or around £200k/year.
If it's wet, drink it.
Dude
Posts: 5342

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 11:37 am:

Williams! Surely one of the worst bits of business in recent years.
Moderator
Posts: 4535
Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 11:44 am:

Lebowski wrote:Williams! Surely one of the worst bits of business in recent years.

Hindsight is wonderful, without his horrible injuries we might have had a very different conversation. As it is I suspect that we have been able to use his injury dispensation for positive reasons, certainly more to this than just his salary I would imagine!
User avatar
On the board
Posts: 928

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 11:53 am:

CMGC wrote:Maybee someone can estimate wherever we are on this but it is difficult to see how Sarries can POSSIBLY be anywhere near the cap limit if our 40 are up to the cap limit.


Can I ask where the squad size of 40 came from?
Dude
Posts: 5342

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 11:56 am:

Mark I’m not talking about his injuries - that’s just bad luck (as with Dreyer). His rumoured salary is over 400k. Nobody will convince me he was ever worth that.
Hero in the making
Posts: 574

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 12:11 pm:

jeppy89 wrote:
CMGC wrote:Maybee someone can estimate wherever we are on this but it is difficult to see how Sarries can POSSIBLY be anywhere near the cap limit if our 40 are up to the cap limit.


Can I ask where the squad size of 40 came from?


By counting them on the club site: https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/fixtures-teams/players/
On the board
Posts: 783

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 12:15 pm:

If Williams is on the rumored wages then it is definitely generous.

That said, he was signed to be a starting 10 or at least to compete with Burns minor for that role. The plan wasn't to have both him and Cips on the books.

My uninformed guess was that he was being left out in the cold at points last season in the hope he'd move on and free up the wages. However, whenever I've seen him around the squad there's been no signs of discontentment.
Hero in the making
Posts: 611

Re: Rugby salaries

29 Nov 2019 13:08 pm:

For those who listen to the House of Rugby Mike Tindall said his biggest contract was £200K at Gloucester, I would assume that this would be around 2008/9/10.
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby