Rugby salaries

Re: Rugby salaries

CMGC 29 Nov 2019 20:28 pm said..

Good point !! I guess Glos get credits for Heinz but not much else since few apart from CS are home grown anymore.
CMGC

jeppy89 29 Nov 2019 20:45 pm said..

Up the jumper wrote:
CMGC wrote:Ok so we agree that the Main 40 players ( minus two marque) need to be on 6.4 mill or less. How many of the squad are on 200 K + ( Dreyer?/ Slater?/ Kreil?/Morgan?/ Heinz?/ Cips/ Marshall ?/ Woodward?/
I assume the junior members in our squad are on 50 -100 K ? using the info in the article I can just about squeeze our 38 under the cap with only one or two people over 200 K.

That isn't correct. There are a range of credits to add to the 6.4m. As DH said at the fans forum, the complexities of the credits means (for internationals, home grown players etc) it is not possible to know another teams actual cap.

You can definitely work it out, it just takes time.

Something I’ve not had answered though is, we know you get credits for games missed on England duty, £10k if not in the EPS & £5k if in the EPS and £50k for being in the EPS, but if those are paid for the current season and a club is paying up to the cap, they have to guesstimate how many of those credits they will pick up through the season?

Sarries for example, Faz will get them 50k for being selected in the EPS then £5k x8 in most seasons. If he got a ban in Jan and missed the 6N Sarries could possibly be 25k over the cap with not a lot they could do?
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

GlawsyD 29 Nov 2019 20:46 pm said..

Perhaps, just perhaps, rugby players are not as greedy for cash as some assume. That might make keeping below the salary cap just that little bit easier.

( the above statement might only apply to the provincial clubs).
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

jeppy89 29 Nov 2019 20:57 pm said..

GlawsyD wrote:Perhaps, just perhaps, rugby players are not as greedy for cash as some assume. That might make keeping below the salary cap just that little bit easier.

( the above statement might only apply to the provincial clubs).

10 year career, I don’t think getting every penny they can is greedy.

It’s not the players fault that the game can’t support what their agents have told them they should be on.
jeppy89
Vice-Captain

RTS2 29 Nov 2019 21:18 pm said..

Lebowski wrote:Mark I’m not talking about his injuries - that’s just bad luck (as with Dreyer). His rumoured salary is over 400k. Nobody will convince me he was ever worth that.

+1
RTS2
Hall of Famer

ROLLO 29 Nov 2019 22:02 pm said..

CMGC Raparva Ruskin came for £330K a season.
ROLLO
On the board

DieTrying 29 Nov 2019 23:32 pm said..

CMGC wrote:Ok so we agree that the Main 40 players ( minus two marque) need to be on 6.4 mill or less. How many of the squad are on 200 K + ( Dreyer?/ Slater?/ Kreil?/Morgan?/ Heinz?/ Cips/ Marshall ?/ Woodward?/
I assume the junior members in our squad are on 50 -100 K ? using the info in the article I can just about squeeze our 38 under the cap with only one or two people over 200 K.

English cap = £7.3M, & 2 x marquee players at no £ limit & a max of £0.6K limit on England Credits. Acadamy limit as above

French cap: approx £10M, no marquee players , however no young player earning less than £50K is counted in the cap.

NOTES:
1. French Clubs cannot have a deficit on the books at the end of the season. If they do the owner has a short period of time to balance the books or Relegation is automatic, with no appeal.

2. They get heavily fined for salary cap breaches & ironically, quickly. An example: ( https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/montpel ... d-20191121 ).

3. The LNR T14 is the richest league in the world by a country mile.

4. Their TV deal makes ours look like small change BUT 40% of the cash is handed over to the PRO D2 ( Nat 1 to us ). It's done to keep Competition alive.

5. Unlike the PRL "we want a closed shop mentality", the LNR take , for me, a more pragmatic go for it attitude with both relegation / play-off format:

T14: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... _14_season

PRO D2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... _D2_season

6. The T14 has, on average the Richest owners, even Lansdown is poor by their standards.

7. The T14 Att avg is above ours.

8. Everybody, inc LNR, should be scared Sh**less if the JRU's proposals come to fruition. PRL should be looking East not West.

9. Glos really should be making more of the Japanese connection.
DieTrying

DieTrying 29 Nov 2019 23:33 pm said..

Apologies for the long post.
DieTrying

Neilio44 29 Nov 2019 23:57 pm said..

DieTrying wrote:Apologies for the long post.

Interesting stuff, thanks DT
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

GlawsyD 30 Nov 2019 19:21 pm said..

Jeppy89,

You misunderstand my posting. I don't doubt the fact that players may have a short career and need to be amply rewarded. I was however, hinting that perhaps, many more are on lower salaries than those speculated by the 'armchair' financiers featured on this and other threads. Unless salaries are clearly published non know for certain, only the players, agents and clubs.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby