O/T Bath v Sarries

Re: O/T Bath v Sarries

Alex 29 Nov 2019 21:48 pm said..

Bath showed very little in attack - but then neither did we against Sarries, so you have to credit their defence.

That said, the fact they can field 8 World Cup finalists speaks volumes. A mid season audit would be very interesting.

Is there any Fit and Proper person test in this sport? IMO a maximum punishment in the league following a previous wrist slap several years ago, and then absolutely no contrition or apology, should put Nigel Wray in the dock on that question. But it doesn’t seem to be on any agenda.
Alex
Senior squad member

Danno 29 Nov 2019 21:58 pm said..

A tough game to stomach indeed. Saracens are cheats and have always played cynical and dirty at the breakdown and with scrum resets. They did loads of time-wasting at our place. Some may argue that it's part of the game but it is very frustrating to watch. Saracens are masters at it. You need a ref. to ping them at the outset otherwise they play the ref. better than anyone.
Danno
Senior squad member

vitesse 29 Nov 2019 22:30 pm said..

Happy to say that I went to a quiz tonight and didn't see the game. I now flatly refuse to watch celerysens on the tv, and ignore them unless and until PRL et al take a grip of them and properly sort them out. I would be happy to have NW 'forced' away from rugby and a n other take sorries over and reform the club. I would then decide to maybe watch them on the tv.....
Posts: 281  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!
vitesse
Vice-Captain

Fat Taff 29 Nov 2019 22:45 pm said..

Alex wrote:Bath showed very little in attack - but then neither did we against Sarries, so you have to credit their defence.

That said, the fact they can field 8 World Cup finalists speaks volumes. A mid season audit would be very interesting.

Is there any Fit and Proper person test in this sport? IMO a maximum punishment in the league following a previous wrist slap several years ago, and then absolutely no contrition or apology, should put Nigel Wray in the dock on that question. But it doesn’t seem to be on any agenda.

Fit and proper, are you serious? Wray is not some dodgy football chancer. He has invested a massive amount of time and money in a club and it's wider infrastructure. He will leave the he club, and the game, a better place for his presence.

Remember, nothing deliberate. You unicorn lot can have your fantasies, but that's the reality. 100 pages of utter bleep here.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 29 Nov 2019 22:51 pm said..

Well, I was rooting for Sarries, and I thought they were great. It's hard to ignore their sins, but what a culture McCall et al have built there. I expect them to comfortably avoid relegation.

I think we will have real problems against that Bath pack unless things change markedly
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 29 Nov 2019 23:10 pm said..

FT - There’s a healthy dose of irony in your statement. Some might say that Wray has acted more like a football club chancer than any other owner. Pushing up salaries, pumping money into a club that returns a loss year on year...

I’d rather rugby be sustainable so whilst he may have paid for his club to be successful I can’t agree that he will have left the game in a better place

100 pages? Wrong thread. If we get to 100 pages about a Bath game then I suggest we all give up!

GS - I agree that Saracens have an astonishing culture. I do wonder how it would have developed if their squad had been comparable to others in the league? You have to acknowledge that success is a significant factor in the development of a culture and Saracens have, to some extent, been successful because they’ve spent more money. Football shows the clear link between money and success in professional sport.

Personally, I think that McCall and Sanderson are excellent coaches however I think that their squad is innately arrogant. It works for them because as a squad they are better, man for man, than their competitors and thus they can afford to be. Personally I think that same arrogance / entitlement is part of the reason that England failed at the last hurdle in the World Cup.

On the game, Sarries did what they do very well. Not rugby that I enjoy.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

King Prawn Bhuna 29 Nov 2019 23:13 pm said..

Until the facts are made clear...they have the same...if not bigger squad...and are still cheating. We'll played Saracens....things have not moved on at all whilst they still call on the vast pool of resources.

The only consolation is they beat the previous cheats of such a scale in the amateur era.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Steve M 30 Nov 2019 00:22 am said..

Thought that Bath pack had a chance of making their mark on this game and for a while it looked possible. There was a scrum mid first half where Lamositele(sp) turned and stood up a couple of times without punishment then it all went downhill from there on.

Can actually see Sarries going unbeaten throughout the rest of the season.

6N they might be down to their second string (only half the 23 will be internationals) but they will still have a stronger team than their opponents.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Ferret 30 Nov 2019 08:23 am said..

Skelton and others must have spent some time practising breaching rules at breakdown.
It happens so often without being penalised they ought to be inducted into Magic Circle.
Perhaps refs should be sponsored by Specsavers like other comps.
I won’t say it is deceit because it might give Sorryson a bad name but officials do need to be more vigilant.
Ferret
On the board

Not1eyed 30 Nov 2019 09:10 am said..

With regards to the spirit and culture Saracens have built that has nothing to do with money, in my opinion. Money can’t buy team spirit and it never has. In fact it usually works exactly opposite in terms of spirit.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby