O/T Bath v Sarries

Re: O/T Bath v Sarries

lucifer 30 Nov 2019 09:26 am said..

To a certain extent you're right Not One Eyed but as the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And the issue remains how did they acquire the silk.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

plod 30 Nov 2019 09:30 am said..

I felt uncomfortable watching the game. It was a bit like seeing a burglar breaking into a house in the afternoon knowing that in the morning he was convicted of burglary. That said I agree that Saracens have built an enviable team spirit, partly as has been said, due to winning a lot. That, rather than the security of the players’ salaries, is probably the key. Their games are like watching a middleweight fighting a heavyweight, an occasional blow from the former might cause an upset, but very rarely.

As for cheating, I doubt that they cheat any more than any other sides do to try and get an advantage, and it is fatuous to suggest otherwise.
plod
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 30 Nov 2019 13:40 pm said..

I don't really understand the 'innately arrogant' comment?
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 30 Nov 2019 14:11 pm said..

I see on Twitter that Bath welcomed NW with open arms and 10 tickets for his family.

Excellent to see solidarity across the Premiership.
tigerchef
On the board

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 14:46 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:With regards to the spirit and culture Saracens have built that has nothing to do with money, in my opinion. Money can’t buy team spirit and it never has. In fact it usually works exactly opposite in terms of spirit.

+ 1. Have to agree with this comment .

Although "employment conditions" ;) no doubt help with morale ; I think the management structure there is consistent and even the top players have to be conditioned mentally and physically to maintain their playing standards. Its also about blending the ingredients . They excel at it; whether we like or or not.

Sarries won the match last night by wearing down near on incessant attack from Bath for 20-25 minutes in the first half.;and a lot of it within 10 metres of their own line. That is not easy whatever the standard of the team.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

theoptimist 30 Nov 2019 15:12 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I don't really understand the 'innately arrogant' comment?

I don’t really understand whether this is a statement or a question. Seeing that you’ve used a question mark I’ll assume you’re after an explanation?

I’ve used innate in the sense of it being an essential / embedded part of their character. Arrogance of course means a sense of being better than others.

Arrogance in sport can be a very useful thing however for me, confidence, self-belief and humility are better traits to possess. Arrogance can be counter-productive and, IMHO, could lead to negativity and a false sense of always being right / entitlement / invincibility.

Saracens have been able to avoid the potentially negative impacts of this arrogance (that seems to be a key facet of their culture) because they have been able to build a squad that is, on the whole, more likely to win due to it being Salary cap+ better (I get the irony within my comments - but understand that I’m not saying their arrogance isn’t justified).

For me, Steve Smith’s Australian cricket team had the same justified arrogance and look where it got them in the end.

IMHO this is what separates the class of England 2003 and 2019. The World Cup winners were confident, hard competitors and had huge self-belief that they could beat anyone. They also had humility. Saracens don’t. They are arrogant and generally put losses down to their own poor performance. I can’t recall ever having watched Itoje, Farrell, Mako or Billy Vunipola being interviewed after a game (be it for Sarries or England) and my respect for them as a person growing as a consequence of how they present themselves as people. I admire them immensely as players and competitors...but I can think of a host of other players I’d rather my son pick as a role-model.

Just an opinion of course.
theoptimist
Hero in the making

Glen Sannox 30 Nov 2019 15:30 pm said..

Interesting

I haven't seen any signs over the years that what you perceive as arrogance has had any negative effect. Their 'Wolfpack' celebrations, which some dislike, is now being copied by other teams...celebrating small victories.

I think a bit of arrogance in elite sport is no bad thing
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 30 Nov 2019 15:38 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:Interesting

I haven't seen any signs over the years that what you perceive as arrogance has had any negative effect. Their 'Wolfpack' celebrations, which some dislike, is now being copied by other teams...celebrating small victories.

I think a bit of arrogance in elite sport is no bad thing

Makes them thoroughly dislikeable along with the fans that just turn for finals. But that's just my opinion.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Islander 30 Nov 2019 18:53 pm said..

Oh no it's not
Islander
Academy prospect

Oxford Glaws 30 Nov 2019 19:09 pm said..

tigerchef wrote:I see on Twitter that Bath welcomed NW with open arms and 10 tickets for his family.

Excellent to see solidarity across the Premiership.

Were they for the scaffolding?
1Thes.5 [14] Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
Oxford Glaws
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby