I would love

Re: I would love

Steve M 30 Nov 2019 11:26 am said..

simple84 wrote:There has to be a mid-season review to either restore some trust or expose further cheating.


I've said this before on one of the many Sarries threads but I'm not sure what a mid-season review can achieve. Isnt the salary cap based on the entire season and thus by its very nature not enforceable till next spring ?

By the same token as everyone keeps pointing out nothing seems to have changed. On the Sarries thread they suggest that the investments were included in the season they were created so if no more are created then they wont count towards this year but surely that cant be right. If anything is considered to be part of a players salary, such as the investments have been deemed to be, wouldnt they be averaged out across the term of a players contract instead of only counting one year ? If that averaged out amount put them over in each of the last 3 years then it is likely to do the same again this year.

The whole episode is disappointing and IMO takes the edge of all games.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Posts: 1285  Location: Longlevens, Gloucester
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

robs1 30 Nov 2019 12:38 pm said..

Steve M wrote:
simple84 wrote:There has to be a mid-season review to either restore some trust or expose further cheating.


I've said this before on one of the many Sarries threads but I'm not sure what a mid-season review can achieve. Isnt the salary cap based on the entire season and thus by its very nature not enforceable till next spring ?

By the same token as everyone keeps pointing out nothing seems to have changed. On the Sarries thread they suggest that the investments were included in the season they were created so if no more are created then they wont count towards this year but surely that cant be right. If anything is considered to be part of a players salary, such as the investments have been deemed to be, wouldnt they be averaged out across the term of a players contract instead of only counting one year ? If that averaged out amount put them over in each of the last 3 years then it is likely to do the same again this year.

The whole episode is disappointing and IMO takes the edge of all games.



That is my understanding of how it works
Posts: 1527
robs1
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 15:43 pm said..

Look ; Sarries -judging by there form are NOT going to get relegated. No chance. It ain't happening as much as anyone wishes.

The anger expressed should ( as I have said several times on multiple Sarries-orientated threads) , be pointed at the PRL.

It's pointless going on about it anymore-really.

Sarries have now in effect "declared" the arrangements ; actually without having to formally do it !. They have not been stripped of any title, and the have their full squad intact.

It is now up to the PRL ( and therefore in effect the owners of the other clubs) to do something about it.

IMO , IF they accept the fine and points deduction as acceptable or maximum punishment then we also have no other choice than accept it. The ball is firmly in their court NOT Sarries .

If Sarries are allowed to keep these arrangements ( now they are in the open) then that is hardly their fault !. Can anyone blame them if the PRL are a lame duck in respect of any meaningful sanction ?. The rules must be sorted and applied.

I cannot see any alteration or clarification until next season.

Don't expect anything to get published by PRL either . I don't think it will happen in a month of Sundays.

My suggestion is that more " supporters" attend our home matches and make as much noise as possible in getting our boys fired-up.

As things stand (on our current league form over last few matches) we could even be the ones propping up the League come the end of the season. I am sure it won't be so ; BUT ……

It WON'T be Sarries.
Last edited by RTS2 on 30 Nov 2019 15:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 3821
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

homer 30 Nov 2019 15:44 pm said..

They’ll probably increase the salary cap enough for Saracens to be under for next season :? .
Posts: 399
User avatar
homer
Vice-Captain

Re: I would love

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 15:49 pm said..

homer wrote:They’ll probably increase the salary cap enough for Saracens to be under for next season :? .


Homer you may very well be spot on .
Posts: 3821
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

NorthernShedHead 30 Nov 2019 16:57 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:The anger expressed should ( as I have said several times on multiple Sarries-orientated threads) , be pointed at the PRL.

It's pointless going on about it anymore-really.


My anger is firmly pointed towards Wray & Co. for choosing to swerve the rules. My frustration is with PRL for not getting on top of it quick enough but that does not free Sarries from having the finger pointed firmly at them.

I actually think, as others have pointed out, that it isnt pointless continuing the discussion - are we to simply shut up and accept it?! I feel aggrieved enough to answer my own Q .... certainly not!
Posts: 547
NorthernShedHead
Hero in the making

Re: I would love

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 17:54 pm said..

We are all entitled to feel aggrieved NSH. We all pay hard -earned money to watch a competition run and "monitored" by the PRL.

No one would disagree about Sarries ; BUT it remains to be seen what ( if anything ) PRL are going to do about any player -benefit -" business interest " ( whatever ) "loopholes".

IF they are allowed to remain intact; then it will simply be a matter of reporting the players " other interests ". As things stand it could be interpreted that Sarries just failed to report them . Call it swerve or whatever, those are the facts. In the meantime it is PRL who are the one's who MUST sort this mess out.

Sarries will continue to use any such " loopholes" to their "advantage" ( can anyone seriously blame them ? )and in the meantime, until things are sorted out, PRL will (no doubt) be thus (surely) be kept fully informed by Mr Wray & Co.

It is highly unlikely anything will happen this season by way of any further sanctions.

If PRL remain lame ducks then in this respect , then this is the likely way forward- and most likely not just for Sarries.

An increase of £1- 2 million I see coming on the salary cap too ( sooner than later ); so get deeper pockets or sell out .

I am not saying I agree this is a good thing; but they want the brand to develop and indeed "world-wide" in commercial terms. This could involve attracting even more overseas players but with conditions about developing home grown talent and quotas of EQP in each squad.

My prediction is a top tier Anglo-Celtic League will happen within 5 years, and then that will be interesting ….very interesting in respect of rules surrounding salary caps. I am not in favour of that either; but see it happening.

After this development , I predict a top European tier league by 2028 and a likely secondary tier likely with no HC or CC. This would then be even more interesting and potentially Sarries could at that stage be looked at on reflection as "visionaries" ? . Emulating their creativity in that area might ultimately be the only way to ironically create a level playing field in terms of actual salaries.
Last edited by RTS2 on 30 Nov 2019 18:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 3821
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

Glen Sannox 30 Nov 2019 18:15 pm said..

If we had ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 2552
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

Glen Sannox 30 Nov 2019 18:17 pm said..

Why should the Premiership bale out the Pro14? Hope we never see an Anglo-Celt league
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 2552
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: I would love

RTS2 30 Nov 2019 18:23 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:Why should the Premiership bale out the Pro14? Hope we never see an Anglo-Celt league


+1 ;

but I see it happening, and as I said above then a Euro league in 2 tiers replacing domestic leagues and the two Euro cups.
Posts: 3821
RTS2
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hucclecote Glaws, Ken Burney, Parsons Nose and 26 guests